Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Windows template
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Windows template

Has anyone had an issue with SolusVM and their Windows 2012 template and not being able to add new features and roles to the VPS?
(the template is on the master and synced to the slave, it installs fine but adding a new feature or role always errors that it can't find the source files).

Comments

• @zafouhar said:

Has anyone had an issue with SolusVM and their Windows 2012 template and not being able to add new features and roles to the VPS?
    (the template is on the master and synced to the slave, it installs fine but adding a new feature or role always errors that it can't find the source files).

I haven't used their templates in years, what error are you running into?

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@zafouhar said:

The error is just "The source files could not be found". The ISO exists on both slave and master.

• racksxracksx Member
    edited October 2016

Hello,

How are you adding the features, via VNC or by Remote Desktop? if you do by RDP, try add them by login to VNC.

• @zafouhar said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@zafouhar said:

The error is just "The source files could not be found". The ISO exists on both slave and master.

Does the Windows VPS have internet access?

Typically 2012 R2 will use Windows update to download the necessary install files during the feature installation. If the VPS cannot reach the internet and doesn't have the files locally then the feature install would fail.

More here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2913316

@racksx said:
    Hello,

Check the template description, and do make sure the hard disk size is 20GB or even more, and it should work fine, or upload it to the slave and try rebuild, you also have rebuild log which can help you in a small debug what's going on upon reinstall.

From what the OP has noted the VPS is installing fine so your suggestion doesn't really make any sense.

Thanked by 1racksx

@zafouhar said:

@zafouhar said:

Typically 2012 R2 will use Windows update to download the necessary install files during the feature installation. If the VPS cannot reach the internet and doesn't have the files locally then the feature install would fail.

And that is the most weird thing indeed because as far as I know aswell it should try Windows update first since the VPS has an active internet connection :)

But it doesn't seem to be doing that for some strange reason, and it can't find the files locally. DNS on the VPS is set to Google's so on that end it should be fine aswell. It is a very strange issue I must say.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You use sysprep method or other method?

Sometimes sync does not work properly so instead of uploading file to master server, upload it directly to Slave server.

Actually ISO file on master server is not required, You can use touch command, This is good for testing purpose otherwise you will waste bandwidth/time like uploading file to Master and then Slave so use direct method, If work then upload to Master server)

• @zafouhar said:

@zafouhar said:

@zafouhar said:

And that is the most weird thing indeed because as far as I know aswell it should try Windows update first since the VPS has an active internet connection :)

But it doesn't seem to be doing that for some strange reason, and it can't find the files locally. DNS on the VPS is set to Google's so on that end it should be fine aswell. It is a very strange issue I must say.

Without access to a VPS running the template I honestly don't know where I would go next. I have run into the issue previously when I built my own Windows templates for SolusVM back in the day, but it was caused by removing all of the payload files (shrinking the image file..).

I recently built a bunch of templates which should also work for SolusVM + KVM I believe. You can find more details here - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92744/online-net-dedibox-xc-sc-2016-windows-templates#latest

All in all, I would avoid using the templates from SolusVM where possible. They never did a particularly magical job with them and as far as I know they haven't made new templates (updated or new OS's) in a long time now.

@DewlanceVPS said:
    You use sysprep method or other method?

Sometimes sync does not work properly so instead of uploading file to master server, upload it directly to Slave server.

Actually ISO file on master server is not required, You can use touch command, This is good for testing purpose otherwise you will waste bandwidth/time like uploading file to Master and then Slave so use direct method, If work then upload to Master server)

May want to take another whack at reading the issue at hand, it has nothing to do with the template syncing to the nodes nor with any ISO files.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
    Without access to a VPS running the template I honestly don't know where I would go next. I have run into the issue previously when I built my own Windows templates for SolusVM back in the day, but it was caused by removing all of the payload files (shrinking the image file..).

I recently built a bunch of templates which should also work for SolusVM + KVM I believe. You can find more details here - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92744/online-net-dedibox-xc-sc-2016-windows-templates#latest

All in all, I would avoid using the templates from SolusVM where possible. They never did a particularly magical job with them and as far as I know they haven't made new templates (updated or new OS's) in a long time now.

Yeah I kind of understood that these SolusVM templates have issues generally and their support has no idea to support them not that they have any idea on how to support their product :)

I will test your templates and see how it goes from there them, thanks a lot!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2016

@IHaveADarkPassenger Don't expect Dewlance or lowendexplorer to contribute anything useful to the community. My pet rock provides more insightful answers than both of them combined.

• @doghouch said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger Don't expect Dewlance or lowendexplorer to contribute to the community. My pet rock provides more insightful answers than both of them combined.

:(

Thanked by 1doghouch
    edited October 2016

@doghouch said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger Don't expect Dewlance or lowendexplorer to contribute anything useful to the community. My pet rock provides more insightful answers than both of them combined.

I can only try to help, I don't know exact situation and I don't have a time to fix it for OP. I can only suggest. I can't provide 100% working resolution.

I created a 100+ template of Windows Server 2003, 2008R2, 2012 from past 6 year and now I am waiting for Windows server 2016.(Experiment, with license, without license, with support account, without support account, etc. )

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@doghouch said:

I can only try to help, I don't know exact situation and I don't have a time to fix it for OP. I can only suggest. I can't provide 100% working resolution.

I created a 100+ template of Windows Server 2003, 2008R2, 2012 from past 6 year and now I am waiting for Windows server 2016.(Experiment, with license, without license, with support account, without support account, etc. )

It's not like it's hard to create templates. I can easily create 100, by duplicating it multiple times.

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@doghouch said:

If only your responses here in the forum showed some semblance of that knowledge, however much of your responses are "fluff" at best. I am guessing you have no real intention of helping anyone, just giving a response so everyone can see you signature just one more time.

Why would you think anyone would choose your service when your responses rarely show you have the knowledge to actually provide the services you offer?

I realize reading comprehension can be hard for some, but really, time to get with the program.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

I can help with ISO install?

• @BlazingServers said:

Ugh...the OP is trying to solve a problem with the templates provided by SolusVM TDNS (or whatever its called).

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@BlazingServers said:

Ugh...the OP is trying to solve a problem with the templates provided by SolusVM TDNS (or whatever its called).

TDN. SolusVM TDN is too old. He can easily install from an ISO. Just suggestions though :)

edited October 2016

If only your responses here in the forum showed some semblance of that knowledge, however much of your responses are "fluff" at best. I am guessing you have no real intention of helping anyone, just giving a response so everyone can see you signature just one more time.

Why would you think anyone would choose your service when your responses rarely show you have the knowledge to actually provide the services you offer?

I realize reading comprehension can be hard for some, but really, time to get with the program.

Yes, I post only for showing my signature. Now you are happy? ;)

Web hosting business is not a job for me, This is like a hobby and life. I enjoy forum browsing, posting and helping peoples. I don't know what is problem in suggesting sysprep. How this can't help OP?

Well, Pleas leave job for moderator.