Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Versatile IT is expanding and your input is needed.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Versatile IT is expanding and your input is needed.

trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
edited April 2013 in Providers

Hey all,

Versatile IT is going to soon be opening in a new location and we are looking for your input into which location we should choose.
The options are:

1. New York, NY
  2. Edison, NJ
  3. Miami, FL
  4. Los Angeles, CA

We would also like to know which plan you would like us to offer in this location along with our other normal packages. 3GB RAM for $7/month or 256MB RAM for $15/year?

Any input you have on Versatile IT would also be welcome. We know, we know, we don't have a website other than our billing panel. It is still in the works but we feel that this is not a top priority.

Brendan

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@trewq said: New York, NY

This of course depends on what specific datacenter you're planning on utilizing. If you can let me know that'd hone down exactly what I want from NYC. I have preferred datacenters in NYC and if its in one of them then I'd be interested.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@HalfEatenPie said: specific datacenter

Knew you would have a comment about the NY location. The datacenter is located at 111 8th however I have been informed that they only offer XO bandwidth at this time. They are working on getting more but I don't like the idea at all of only having one bandwidth provider in the mix.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited April 2013

I'm personally a fan of yearly VPS'. Pay them and forget about them for a year :) So the more RAM/specs you can pack in there at an awesome price without reducing quality or stability, the better - count me in.

As for location, I've got no preference. As long as the DC is solid and robust, I'm happy.

• @trewq said: 111 8th

Hm really?

I personally have always wanted a server in 111 8th Avenue. Unfortunately due to the recent Google buy-out of the building they're not renewing tenant's contracts. I mean there's datacenter companies in there that have signed a 50-some year agreement but the smaller ones are required to move out in two years.

111 8th Ave is known to have a great blend of bandwidth, but XO being the only bandwidth at that location makes me feel iffy.

Well, definitely let me know if you get in 111 8th Ave. I'd definitely be willing to get one there.

@HalfEatenPie said: definitely let me know

Will do. That's what I thought when they told me too. I will have another chat with their sales when the time zones line up again.

• For me, as an LET'er, I will advice you stay for a while first to make good impression, before expanding. Because you closed your last node so soon before.

• @jcaleb said: For me, as an LET'er, I will advice you stay for a while first to make good impression, before expanding. Because you closed your last node so soon before.

Hm could you expand upon this? I've personally never been a customer of Versatile IT but I'd like to know what happened.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

Also all the locations, bar New York, NY, are just redundant locations that are already flooded in availability on LET/LEB. If you want to spark interest, look for a place 123128912 other providers are not already at. I wouldn't buy one in any of the locations you specified as I already have 1 or more in each.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

@jcaleb That was a management mistake announcing and preparing to close without first taking all possible resolution paths. Everything has been resolved for a while now.

We did credit all our clients ~$350 in total between all our clients for inconvenience caused.

@HalfEatenPie said: Hm could you expand upon this? I've personally never been a customer of Versatile IT but I'd like to know what happened.

We had some internal personal issues that very much made it look like we would need to close but everything has been resolved now. Our servers were wiped by the datacenter due to miscommunication however this did give us the opportunity to upgrade our nodes.

• tech163tech163 Member
    edited April 2013

NYC preferred. 256MB RAM for $15/year preferred. Also, KVM would be nice to offer :p. There aren't any cheap KVM providers in the city (DigitalOcean doesn't count).

@TheLinuxBug said: Also all the locations, bar New York, NY, are just redundant locations that are already flooded in availability on LET/LEB. If you want to spark interest, look for a place 123128912 other providers are not already at. I wouldn't buy one in any of the locations you specified as I already have 1 or more in each.

There is definitely a market for KVM in NYC. Even for non-KVM VPS, there aren't many in NYC.

edited April 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: Also all the locations, bar New York, NY, are just redundant locations that are already flooded in availability on LET/LEB. If you want to spark interest, look for a place 123128912 other providers are not already at. I wouldn't buy one in any of the locations you specified as I already have 1 or more in each.

Exact type of input I was looking for, thank you!

@tech163 said: NYC preferred. 256MB RAM for $15/year preferred. Also, KVM would be nice to offer :p. There aren't any cheap KVM providers in the city (DigitalOcean doesn't count).

I think the yearly plan is the one we will go for. Unfortunately we are only going to be supporting OpenVZ for the time being.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Hm could you expand upon this? I've personally never been a customer of Versatile IT but I'd like to know what happened.

He expanded above now, before i could reply =)

@trewq said: @jcaleb That was a management mistake announcing and preparing to close without first taking all possible resolution paths. Everything has been resolved for a while now.

Yes, I'm not criticizing. Just an opinion to stay for a little while. Like other host that took time before expanding.

@jcaleb said: Yes, I'm not criticizing. Just an opinion to stay for a little while. Like other host that took time before expanding.

I know you weren't I just like to explain things right from the start so that things don't go left unexplained. I am aware how vital it is for us to build a reputation but it is within our budget to open a couple of new nodes in a new location.

• @trewq said: I think the yearly plan is the one we will go for. Unfortunately we are only going to be supporting OpenVZ for the time being.

Some high-BW plans in NYC would be awfully lovely..

@ihatetonyy said: Some high-BW plans in NYC would be awfully lovely..

They sure will be. I like providing yearly plans that people can use as VPNs.

• @ihatetonyy said: Some high-BW plans in NYC would be awfully lovely..

I second that. I'm currently using a VPN from BuyVM in Buffalo. While they've been great, something in the city would be even better

• I like high disk space than high ram. 256mb is more than enough for most purposes

@jcaleb said: I like high disk space than high ram. 256mb is more than enough for most purposes

That's exactly what I was thinking. I prefer to offer the lower RAM plans.

• NY

I am seriously leaning towards it. I am also thinking about only offering the 256MB plan allowing more people to get the most out of this location.

• LA for asian cstomers

@jcaleb said: LA for asian cstomers

I think that'll be next on our list as it has a better ping to Australia as well.

edited April 2013

Server has been ordered for the NY location. This will be our best node yet hardware wide with RAID10 and an SSD cache. At this point in time it looks like we will only be offering the 256MB plan for $15/year but the good news is they will be stackable meaning you can order multiple and we can merge the resources including IPs.

I'll post back when everything is setup.

• which DC?

@jcaleb said: which DC?

XO Communications in 111 Eighth Avenue. It is going to be amazing!

• @trewq said: XO Communications in 111 Eighth Avenue.

This is change I can believe in.

edited April 2013

I'm actually really excited. I can't wait to get my hands on it and run some benchmarks to post here.

@ihatetonyy said: This is change I can believe in.

These will also be the fist gigabit VPSs we have ever provided!

• @trewq said: These will also be the fist gigabit VPSs we have ever provided!

ETA for the public being able to jump on board?

• I think that'll be next on our list as it has a better ping to Australia as well.

Sydney and Melbourne have pretty good pings to Australia too :P

XO Communications in 111 Eighth Avenue.

XO directly or ColoCrossing in XO's DC on the 12th floor?