Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage Server Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage Server Question

BillyEBillyE Member
edited October 2016 in Help

I have a supermicro 4U 2xE5620 with 36 trays with hardware raid I'm trying to see the best way to configure the server to get the best amount of storage while using raid so if I have any disk failures I wont lose my data. I have 17 2TB ssd hdds and 18 2tb sata hhd drives I only have about 10tb worth of data that I need stored at the moment but my early 2017 ill have about 20tb of data on the server what do you guys propose I provision the server with what type of raid?

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you only care about data safety and an amount stored and don't care about performance much, imo RAID-6 with 18 2TB HDDs is the way.

• @exception0x876 said:
    If you only care about data safety and an amount stored and don't care about performance much, imo RAID-6 with 18 2TB HDDs is the way.

Performance is a factor but data safety is more. How would the performance be affected using raid-6?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited October 2016

@BillyE said:
    Performance is a factor but data safety is more. How would the performance be affected using raid-6?

If compared to RAID-10, write performance with RAID-6 will be considerably worse. Moreover in case of a disk failure, the rebuild time with RAID-10 will be much faster.

However with RAID-6 you will have much more space, so that's why I suggested it. Also with RAID-10 you can loose your data if you are in a bad luck and 2 disks fail from the two opposite sides of the mirror, while RAID-6 protects you from 2 disks failure.

Thanked by 1BillyE
  • Personally with that amount of disks a single Raid 5/6 is not a good idea during rebuild times.

If RAID10 can provide the storage you need then opt for that, if not Raid 60 built from 3 or 4 Raid 6's or Raid50 at a push if your not able to get the storage you require from Raid60.

I would never do a Raid5 or Raid6 above 6-8 disks if you care about your data.

Thanked by 1BillyE
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I would recommend to user smaller arrays as well. However, if you do prefer to use a lager array I can recommend using RAID-60, you'll lose only slightly some additional storage compared to a regular RAID-6 array.
    When write performance is important I personally would move away from RAID-5(x) / RAID-6(x), and go with the RAID-10 route. With RAID-10 you'll loose storage, but the performance increase is your benefit. With SSD's you defeinitely going to loose much and much more write performance when using them in a RAID-5x/6x array.
    It all depends on your kind of usage and requirements.

Thanked by 1BillyE
  • Thanks folks I'm gonna go with raid-10.