Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Catalyst vs HostUs.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Catalyst vs HostUs.

I need a VPS for a small website and I'm considering using Catalyst or Hostus. Price or location isn't really an issue. I'm wondering who you'd pick in term of stability (server and company wise) and customer service. I've been with Hostus in the past. They're the easy pick but I'm also curious about Catalyst. Anyway, what do you think?

Poll not found

Comments

• 404 poll not found

• Mh... It was working before :(

• Get both and setup HA.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
      Get both and setup HA.

Nah, overkill for this as it's just fir a personal website and I probably wouldn't even notice the occasional downtime if it wasn't for it being monitored :)

It's just that I came across Catalyst and I don't see them mentioned here that often. I was searching LET and Jarland was involved if I'm right so they obviously must be all right ;)

• Since no poll is available, I vote for summer hosts! Seriously, I have a box with HostUs and they have been rock solid.
      Hope that helps =)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
    • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

While I don't think you can go wrong with either, I'm obviously going to be a bit partial to Catalyst. Ryan does great work, always has. My involvement is minimal these days but not quite nonexistent. I'm still the backup on alerts, have the access I need to manage things if a problem arises.

Thanked by 2ryanarp Saragoldfarb
    • Dont think just go for catalyst. Excellent datacenter, network etc. Support is the best ive seen so far

Thanked by 2ryanarp Saragoldfarb
    • Speedykvm is excellent too. Same dc, and also.ryan takes.care of it

Thanked by 1ryanarp
    • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@Saragoldfarb said:

@TheOnlyDK said:
      Get both and setup HA.

It's just that I came across Catalyst and I don't see them mentioned here that often. I was searching LET and Jarland was involved if I'm right so they obviously must be all right ;)

You normally only hear about scams, downtime and complaints. The good reviews can sometimes be rare, however I am sure there are plenty that will leave us a positive comment :) I generally do a pretty good job about keeping people happy.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
    • I used HostUs for a mail server I had (it was a $35/year special). It was on OpenVZ and had an uptime of about 400 days. I only moved it because I wanted to upgrade from Debian 7. Now that I've done so, I very well may move it back.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
    • Are there any recent catalyst host offers? The prices on the main site don't seem very competitive.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@wwabbit said:
      Are there any recent catalyst host offers? The prices on the main site don't seem very competitive.

I have it on good authority that an offer is in the LEB queue.

Thanked by 2Saragoldfarb ryanarp
    • @jarland said:

@wwabbit said:
      Are there any recent catalyst host offers? The prices on the main site don't seem very competitive.

I have it on good authority that an offer is in the LEB queue.

Sweet. I'm not urgently in need of it so might wait for the offer to test the waters :). Everybody, thanks for all info and recommendations. Pitty the poll is broken.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
    • @Saragoldfarb
      HostUS is OK, but uptime has always been choppy Network-wise... you can search some recent articles that refer to the downtimes.

Both these hosts are pretty stable and good. I use them for production websites:
      (giving my affl. link)

ImpactVPS
      &
      UltraVPS and their cheaper version VPEasy