Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home

CameronCameron Member
    edited April 2013 in General

Well, to my surprise I've got a very nice email from the good guys at OVH, eating their baguettes and drinking their wine.

Bear in mind, we have had NO reports from OVH of any CCAM being hosted, this is now the second issue from OVH over our 4-5 year experience with them, nice to see how they treat long-term customers!

Dear Customer,

One or more of your IP addresses had to be blocked by our services due
    to a number of alerts being received.

This constitutes a breach of your contract, your server was blocked.

You have two weeks to recover your data. Also, access your server will be permanently suspended on the 2013-04-17 >19:06:36.

You can find the log returns from our system below that led to this alert.

START OF INFORMATION

Serveur utilise pour de la diffusion de contenus soumis au droit d'auteur via le protocole CCAM

END OF INFORMATION

Kind regards,

OVH customer support.

How very kind! We have not had a single report regarding any CCAM being hosted, this is the first communication we have had from OVH regarding this.

This server is used to host virtual machines, we always take action to any abuse reports we receive however in this case they decide not to warn us!

It's also very professional to see they provide the reason in French, here is the English translation. "Server used for content distribution subject to copyright through the CCAM protocol"

I just don't understand why a company would do this to customers, this isn't the first time I've had issues with them personally. I have heard of many others having similar issues with them.

So far I'm just waiting for a reply from their support department, cant wait to see how far I get with this.

Have you been with OVH and had an awful time, if so feel free to share your experience!

TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T USED OVH YET, STAY FAR AWAY!

P.S. Let's hope this post didn't upset ovh :'(

Comments

• LukeTLukeT Member

OVH seems to be getting worse.

I should really get a better signature!
    • wth is CCAM

Contractually bound by a verbal non-disclosure agreement

• @texteditor said: wth is CCAM

Still trying to work that out...

• @Cameron CCAM according to wikipedia is:
      Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation (CCAM) is a congenital disorder of the lung similar to bronchopulmonary sequestration. The disorder is often referred to by another name, congenital pulmonary airway malformation (CPAM

• CCcam is a protocol to share coded access cards for programs on tv satellite.
      It uses a lot of pps.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• JacobJacob Member

Mm, I swear I've seen CCcam in the process logs of one of our nodes before.

AboveClouds • UK Company • UK Datacentre • UK Customer Support

High Performance Pure SSD Cloud Hosting with a personal touch

• @Maounique said: CCcam is a protocol to share coded access cards for programs on tv satellite.

It uses a lot of pps.

Thanks for the explanation! I still do not understand why OVH haven't reported this to me instead of suspending me... A late april fools gone wrong maybe? We will never know!

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
      edited April 2013

I warned a while back that OVH is now following a one strike you are out policy. Ppl didnt believe me then, said I have something against them or maybe they started to eliminate romanians first, dunno.
      It also detects wrongly DDoSes that are not there and puts you in rescue mode.
      They do not need customers, have hundreds of thousands and the more cancellations, the more yearly plans can sell.
      I never had a server there, was denied a few years back and didnt try again, but have friends that had various problems and asked me to help since I know french and something about computers.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• ATHKATHK Member
      edited April 2013

Is it CCcam? - http://www.cam-sats.com/cccam/2409.htm - something about faking cards.
      http://www.kingcccam.com/page/installing-cccam-protocol

Don't mind me.

• Problem with OVH message is it doesn't say sh!t. WHo can work through being labeled for violating or doing nothing?

" due to a number of alerts being received."

Alerts? From whom? What nature?

Horrid provider message there. Did OP try contacting them to get clarification on the matter from a human? Seems like an autogen message.

• @pubcrawler said: " due to a number of alerts being received."

Alerts? From whom? What nature?

I've not received one alert from either OVH or a 3rd party regarding it.

@pubcrawler said: Did OP try contacting them to get clarification on the matter from a human? Seems like an autogen message.

I did reply to the ticket stating what the servers are used for (I thought they would note the use by the hostnames, however it seems to hard for them) and explaining that we always take action upon receiving a report, however I yet to have any reply regarding this. I do understand, it's 2AM UK time, 3AM France time, I'll let you know when I get a reply and what interesting garbage they have to say!

• natestammnatestamm Member
      edited April 2013

@Cameron Good luck!

..Run from this thread too. I did. /Smile

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
      edited April 2013

@Simple3x said: OVH sucks!

Thanks for adding content to this discussion.

Honestly I'd be interested in hearing OVH's reply to the claims that it's been reported multiple times.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    • @HalfEatenPie said: Honestly I'd be interested in hearing OVH's reply to the claims

+1 on this. Contemplating a dedi from them to dip my toes in the public hosting waters, would really hate to get shat on from the jump.

• @Sperryman said: Contemplating a dedi from them

I was looking into it too XD
      I guess we will see how they reply.

• @Simple3x said: Heh OVH sucks!

• @Jacob said: Mm, I swear I've seen CCcam in the process logs of one of our nodes before.

I see it too and I know the people doing this.
      So far had no complaints, even tho the pps is sometimes 50 k for one vps.

• @Sperryman said: +1 on this. Contemplating a dedi from them to dip my toes in the public hosting waters, would really hate to get shat on from the jump.

Piece of advice, take it with a grain if salt if you like, if you are going to do any hosting do not get an OVH server. I know the price is attractive but you will be sorry for the same reason the OP is right now.

The Bun | Primary DNS | Small Web <--- Do not ask questions, just go for it.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
      edited April 2013

Wish you good luck

• That's strange. I know we have customers running CCAM, never received a single complaint about it. And it doesn't seem to cause any big loads either.

-

• If CCcam/Mgcam/Oscam is running on a server, you can be 100% certain it's not for legal purposes whether you received a complaint or not. Newer CCcam versions even have a trojan horse built in. Being an Europe based provider, I understand why OVH has to act in such cases because it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
      edited April 2013

Considering the amount of shit that OVH let through their network that they ignore, this is pretty darn stupid.

I've never heard of a company terminating a dedicated server for one violation, until now.

The Original Daniel.

• @pechspilz said: I understand why OVH has to act in such cases because it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't.

Well, I think that's wrong. I would say this is over reacting. We have not had a single report from OVH regarding this. You can't just terminate a customer without warning them before hand (well, I thought that's what any decent provider would do...)

To update on the situation, OVH still haven't replied to my ticket reply, I've bumped my ticket there however if I fail to receive a reply I'll ring them up. How fun! I get to speak to some arrogant OVH employee, not...

• @Cameron
      It ain't going to work, they will just tell you to either sign a support-contract or contact support via tickets ;)

• natestammnatestamm Member
      edited April 2013

@Cameron said: We have not had a single report from OVH regarding this

This.

• @pechspilz said: it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't

PS asking isn't telling.

• I personally agree it's not a good business practice but then it's OVH and they give a rat's ass about it. It's been known for a while now that one shoulnd't choose them for any sort of business if you're not in total control over the contents on a server. They started killing LEBs last year with the introduction of a per-IPv4 fee.

Interestingly, they don't give a rat's ass about hosting thousands of Kimsufis for the sole purpose of torrenting non-legal stuff.

• Right, just phoned OVH and spoke to some very arrogant Frenchman. He says that this issue is "very serious" and that the technicians had to take action, I tried to explain what the servers were used for yet he still didn't take that for an answer.

I just do not understand how they can treat a long term, paying customer like this.. I even explained to him that the phone I was calling him off was an OVH business SIP line!

Hey ho, he said that I will receive a reply via email soon, lets see how far that gets me

• @Cameron consider yourself lucky you didn't spend last evening/this morning the way I did.

When you find good providers you have some thing more valuable than gold. Just sick of hosts that don't care. That shit doesn't cut it in the business world And it is not worth any more time than it takes you to get back online. Your post just struck a chord with me.

Kick some verbal ass if you have to But get yourself away from that kind of crap.

The few hosts I really trust any more can shag my woman.

• @natestamm said: The few hosts I really trust any more can shag my woman.

@jarland :3

• Just spoke to them again via phone asking for an update. The guy said that he did not have an update and that my server was also being used for "other hacks". I asked what these hacks were and he didn't know... I stated that if I was actually informed about the abuse I would be able to solve it, but he says otherwise. It seems that providing me the IP address of the abusing customer is too hard...

After the unhelpful encounter with the rude Frenchman I asked to speak to Octave, how very strange that he is "out of the office currently". This company is just a joke..

Anyone know of any good alternatives and a good place to host a SolusVM master?

Thanks!

• @Cameron said: After the unhelpful encounter with the rude Frenchman I asked to speak to Octave, how very strange that he is "out of the office currently". This company is just a joke..

You think the owner of OVH's 15+ datacenter wants to deal with an angry customer? Don't fool yourself, that's what any large scale dedicated server company would do

• @BronzeByte said: You think the owner of OVH's 15+ datacenter wants to deal with an angry customer? Don't fool yourself, that's what any large scale dedicated server company would do

I may be an angry customer but I'm also worried for them. Treating long term customers like this is going to get them no where, the guy at the top needs to be informed and given an opinion from customers

• @Cameron said: I may be an angry customer but I'm also worried for them. Treating long term customers like this is going to get them no where, the guy at the top needs to be informed and given an opinion from customers

Throw me an email sam [at] rethinkvps.com and I might be able to give you a discount on a dedicated server.

www.ReThinkVPS.com - Founded 2010

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

@pechspilz said: If CCcam/Mgcam/Oscam is running on a server, you can be 100% certain it's not for legal purposes whether you received a complaint or not

NO, this is NOT how law in Europe works - If you shut it down for simply being CCcam can get YOU sued.

• I've done a while on here with out seeing that word. @William Thank You. Some times that's the only thing people understand.

• @William: Both parties can terminate the contract for whatever reason they want. The reason doesn't matter at all.

• @pechspilz said: The reason doesn't matter at all.

From the legal point of view, yes, IF the unused money are returned.
      From the commercial point of view this will not help.
      They maybe have hundreds of thousands of customers and couldnt care less for any one of them, no matter how long the relationship, but this means savvy ones will get informed first and avoid them, perhaps this is what they want ?
      At the end of the day I would rather have my service down by accident than because the automated "anti-hack" was programmed to do so whenever something remotely problematic is detected.
      Not having any recourse other than barking at the tree and be ignored will not make things better.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
      edited April 2013

so on a positive not who are the good providers.

• pcanpcan Member

@pubcrawler said: Horrid provider message there.

I am not a OVH customer anymore, but the message could have been even worse. The one I received when they nullrouted one of the IP on my dedicated server (a good server, yearly prepaid with the extra "professional use" fee) was: "attaque. game over." I tried contacting them via phone and email, but I received no further explanations until the following day.

After some head scratching I figured out that a VPS on the server could have been compromised and used for an attack. On the following days the OVH support agreed to remove the nullroute, but my server was online again only after several further tickets and many days.

At the time, I had the impression that OVH technical support is competent but severely understaffed and had no time to care for the customers. Little has changed, it seems.

• classic message there @pcan.

I won't prepay a garbage pickup company let alone a data company. Things change from week to week with some companies, shamefully.

• @pubcrawler said: Things change from week to week with some companies, shamefully.

I am not sure things changed much with OVH, if anything, this came about in years.

• Personally, I'd never use OVH for anything critical. I just use the Kimsufi Atom for minor personal uses.

• OVH is great as long as you aren't doing anything shady. Been hosting there for 5 years without issues so far, great folks.

-3-

-- BOFH

• So, here is an update for anyone who does actually find this interesting

I have finally received an email back regarding the issue, the guy has now explained what CCCAM is and has actually provided me with the IP address where the CCCAM was running from! So that customer is now finally suspended.

They have also listed three other "attacks" which they state I never replied to, yet looking at my inbox and my OVH emails from their manager I see no sign of any of them. Just to add, the logs of the attacks he sent me in the email just look like walls of spaghetti text, very useful I must add! (Not)

He also states that the server has had several incoming attacks which caused "disruptions on our network", however personally I've not noticed any attacks over the last few months.

Just to add to the mess, he then states that I can not rely on OVH informing me of any abuse that may be going on. I don't understand how that works as if you lookup the IP addresses their abuse email is the one listed, so how on earth am I meant to know of any reports? Seems like a lazy provider to me.

Finally it ended on a slightly better note, he said that I'm welcome to investigate and explain "what happened" (I don't see much that happened, just one customer host CCCAM that I've now suspended?) and the measures I've taken to fix it. He shall pass it on to the "engineers" (potato heads) to see if they could consider changing their minds (lets hope they do)

Even if they do renew the contract, still moving everything away from them. I'm not putting customers services in the hands of some provider that doesn't know how to do their job correctly.

I hope you enjoy the read. Moral of the story? Stay away from OVH

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

Don't trust to their report, as occasionally it's not true. The OVH never bothered to investigate the claims or OVH Anti-Hack report properly, if you want server quick do it your self.

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
      Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
    • JackJack Member, Provider
      edited April 2013

Hello You're through to OVH I am mr Cat; How may I break your server today?

Picture taken from http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-3/