Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scalable backup solution ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scalable backup solution ?

Hello guys,

I am currently looking into a way to backup my KVM vpses. I am able to take snapshot of them, which are generally pretty big.

I would like to keep multiple days of my snapshot in backup, but as a result, this takes A LOT of space.

Now I want my backups to be reliable, so I need some kind redundancy on those backups.

Is there some kind of very scalable service or software that I can use to just store snapshot and access them / restore them on demand.

I initially thought about something like https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/backup-ftp.xml

The OVH backup service gives alot of space (up to 10TB), but what if i need more at that point. Also, this does not seems to be redundant.

The next thing out there that i found is : https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/
There are small ARM's server that are very cheap that can contain up to 6TB, but once again, that is not redundant.

Anybody here have any idea's on how to scale that infinitely, or how I should tackle this issue ?

Looking forward to hear it all !
Thanks

Comments

• S3?

Thanked by 1racksx
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

R1soft?

Thanked by 1racksx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2016

Well, buy 3, put them together in CEPH Cluster over VLAN or TINC, Profit.

Should be in the same DC, close as possible. Otherwise it's not the optimal use case.

• Why not make hardlinked snapshots? That way you still have full snapshots but they take the space of incremental backups.

• @icekev said:
    Hello guys,

I am currently looking into a way to backup my KVM vpses. I am able to take snapshot of them, which are generally pretty big.

I would like to keep multiple days of my snapshot in backup, but as a result, this takes A LOT of space.

Now I want my backups to be reliable, so I need some kind redundancy on those backups.

Is there some kind of very scalable service or software that I can use to just store snapshot and access them / restore them on demand.

I initially thought about something like https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/backup-ftp.xml

The OVH backup service gives alot of space (up to 10TB), but what if i need more at that point. Also, this does not seems to be redundant.

The next thing out there that i found is : https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/
    There are small ARM's server that are very cheap that can contain up to 6TB, but once again, that is not redundant.

Anybody here have any idea's on how to scale that infinitely, or how I should tackle this issue ?

Looking forward to hear it all !
    Thanks

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server#storage
    what about online net storage servers?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Use Hubic to backup the snapshots DIR, problem solved.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Snapshots are not a backup solution you should use an external solution (external to you hypervisor), +1 with @leapswitch you could try a solution like R1soft.

• You could take a look at BackBlaze B2

• I did LVM snapshots for KVM servers for a while. Automatically snapshot, copy, upload to google drive, and manage a rotation so I had at least one a week going back a few months. Using rclone with Hubic/Amazon Cloud Drive/Google Drive works well.

That said, snapshots aren't guaranteed to work. I lost some data, for example my Plex database. Although the LVM snapshot prevents mid-write issues, it doesn't prevent mid-operation issues (this is my understanding). So my plex database ended up being corrupted after restoring and I wasn't able to recover it. Many of my VMs did restore just fine, but not all of them or not all of their functionality.

R1Soft just isn't feasible when you have a bunch of VMs, unless there is some secret to the license that I don't understand. It costs more than many of the VM plans that are sold on this site.

• Not sure if it's stable enough to be used with production data yet (Am playing with it) but VM snapshots get a lovely de-duplication rate with SDFS.

• You could try Veeam Endpoint for Linux.
    It's still in beta and I've not tested it yet, but it should support rsync as destination and it has an ISO to restore entire machine on a fresh VM.

If it's like Endpoint for Windows, it lacks centralized management, but it's still nice for few machines.

PS: Do not mistake with well known Veeam Backup & Replication for Hyper-V or vmware, producer it's the same but products are different, in particular Endpoint should be free

• @HackedServer said:
    I did LVM snapshots for KVM servers for a while. Automatically snapshot, copy, upload to google drive, and manage a rotation so I had at least one a week going back a few months. Using rclone with Hubic/Amazon Cloud Drive/Google Drive works well.

That said, snapshots aren't guaranteed to work. I lost some data, for example my Plex database. Although the LVM snapshot prevents mid-write issues, it doesn't prevent mid-operation issues (this is my understanding). So my plex database ended up being corrupted after restoring and I wasn't able to recover it. Many of my VMs did restore just fine, but not all of them or not all of their functionality.

R1Soft just isn't feasible when you have a bunch of VMs, unless there is some secret to the license that I don't understand. It costs more than many of the VM plans that are sold on this site.

Is there a way to create KVM snapshots and automatically pipe them to the backup server (So that they are never on the actual machine).

Also, anybody know if it's cheaper to buy a lot of space with Google drive/Amazon cloud or if it's better to go out and buy some servers and run something like CEPH (very interesting system pointed out by @neoon)

Thanks !