Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway Vs OVH VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway Vs OVH VPS

Which one is superior?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If you can't tell, doesn't matter. Just choose either.

Thanked by 3default Chocoweb XiNiX
  • Where does the majority of your traffic come from?

• for network speed, online net.
    ddos protection, better io, ovh

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited October 2016

I must say, in terms of experience you will get much better with OVH than Scaleway/online.net

VM wise, OVH have better performance, imho.. . Support wise, I found that online.net support isn't much of a help. And online.net practice of their policy and stuff, is pretty much inconsistent, and it is sucks. Network wise, i found that OVH is much better all around the globe.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

Scaleway are way too weird with all that network storage thing -- also limiting in performance and likely less reliable. I'm not sure if you can even boot a custom kernel on those without issues.

OVH on the other hand are just normal KVM VPS with local storage.

OVH doesn't have IPv6, but then Scaleway's IPv6 is a stupid joke anyways (only one IP, which is also dynamic), so that doesn't count for a benefit. And OVH announced IPv6 deployment soon too.

Try both and see what you think, or actually get and use both, for redundancy. Both are good deals, you won't get such specs, performance and reliability for 3 EUR anywhere else.

Thanked by 1sin
  • @rm_ said:
    Scaleway are way too weird with all that network storage thing -- also limiting in performance and likely less reliable. I'm not sure if you can even boot a custom kernel on those without issues.

OVH on the other hand are just normal KVM VPS with local storage.

OVH doesn't have IPv6, but then Scaleway's IPv6 is a stupid joke anyways (only one IP, which is also dynamic), so that doesn't count for a benefit. And OVH announced IPv6 deployment soon too.

Try both and see what you think, or actually get and use both, for redundancy. Both are good deals, you won't get such specs, performance and reliability for 3 EUR anywhere else.

Ovh has ipv6. I have it on a VPS but its on their cloud line.

• sinsin Member

Saragoldfarb said: Ovh has ipv6. I have it on a VPS but its on their cloud line.

On their Cloud VPS line or their Public Cloud?

• Finally I switched back to OVH VPS. I do not like ARM cores, also as @rm_ mentioned above, network drives are very slow. It takes 10-20 minutes to install my custom stack (php, nginx and etc). Also laravel does not work on arm (maybe I should google a bit to fix it). But eventually I bought old good small VPS from OVH and happy again.

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2016

trnj said: I do not like ARM cores

Have you tried the regular x86 VPSes instead of their arm c1? The latency on those are good. I love both OVH VPSes and Scaleways (the VC line) and they both have their ups and downs. Glad you're happy with your OVH VPS :).

root@scaleway-vc1s:~# ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=1 time=237 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=2 time=309 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=3 time=295 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=4 time=270 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=5 time=327 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=6 time=267 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=7 time=296 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=8 time=314 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=9 time=292 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=10 time=286 us

--- . (ext4 /dev/vda) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 3.46 k iops, 13.5 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 237 us / 289 us / 327 us / 24 us

Thanked by 1Master_Bo
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

Saragoldfarb said: Ovh has ipv6. I have it on a VPS but its on their cloud line.

I used OVH VPS-SSD, at the end of September 2016 it still didn't have IPv6.

• SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited October 2016

@sin said:

On their Cloud VPS line or their Public Cloud?

The public cloud I guess. Once registered order it from your cloud panel and it'll have ipv6.

Edit: I can't seem to find the post anywhere but it mentioned there are two ways to order the SSD VPS. One of them will get you ipv6. Can't add another one with ipv6 as I just tried. Will let you know if I come across the link.

• You should use OVH. Scaleway/Online support is so rude and their network is shit.

You can also look into Hetzner, I switched to them last month from OVH.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Wicked said: You should use OVH. Scaleway/Online support is so rude and their network is shit.

The OVH network sometimes is shit too, see example of 12 hour downtime on one of my personal dev VPS:
    http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=20636

Translated form French by Google (FrEnglish):

The teams working on the problem since this morning
    6:30. We tried many things since to restart
    the cluster, but it does not work yet. 11:30 It's been that
    some DevOps are the problem and so we decided
    to make a 1 hour break and we start work at 19:00.
    We will start by making a point between all teams
    who work on the concern Wroclaw (Poland ), Roubaix and Brest
    office by telepresence. The goal is to see if we
    missed something and see what we can still try.

• http://www.yisp.nl/cloud-vps/linux

Try this one, is HIGH quality

• I had the same questions. Planning to run a discourse forum and confused about choosing one of them. online gives more disk space but weaker cpu and ovh gives better cpu but less disk and online has one click discourse installation. can cpu of online handle some simultaneous users? I am personally inclined towards online for discourse

• @arpanjot said:
    I had the same questions. Planning to run a discourse forum and confused about choosing one of them. online gives more disk space but weaker cpu and ovh gives better cpu but less disk and online has one click discourse installation. can cpu of online handle some simultaneous users? I am personally inclined towards online for discourse

For public production website I would definitely go with OVH VPS or online.net dedicated.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • I prefer Scaleway. They're not too bad really. But I agree their support is terrible.

• sinsin Member

@arpanjot said:
    I had the same questions. Planning to run a discourse forum and confused about choosing one of them. online gives more disk space but weaker cpu and ovh gives better cpu but less disk and online has one click discourse installation. can cpu of online handle some simultaneous users? I am personally inclined towards online for discourse

The cpus on the Scaleway VC line aren't bad at all and you get 2 cores with the lowest VC1 VPS:

processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 77
    model name  : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2750  @ 2.40GHz
    stepping    : 8
    microcode   : 0x1
    cpu MHz     : 2393.902
    cache size  : 1024 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 11
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon rep_good nopl pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms arat
    bugs        :
    bogomips    : 4787.80
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

I have both a Scaleway VC1 and a OVH SSD VPS 2016 and they're both great VPSes so you really can't go wrong with either one.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • scaleway. OVH means mainly being at their mercy that everything works nicely. If it doesn't, you're fucked. Rather just order a new server and restore a backup than bother dealing with them.

• Been using their public cloud vps HG-7 and it has been very stable for 3 months. Zero downtime on networks. Their phone support is only thing I have dealt with but it's been very helpful. I do wish they had IPv6 available though but not a deal killer for me. I also like the 250Mbit connection with he HG-7 compared to the standard 100Mbit port.

• @Domin43 said:
    Which one is superior?

Scaleway any day. I wish they had more locations.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited November 2016

@sin said:
    Have you tried the regular x86 VPSes instead of their arm c1?

It works. But pretty unstable.

PHP7 crashes every hour. The script uses a lot of imap, so it is a torment for CPU.
    And looks like Atom core cannot handle such load.
    Switched this script to Vultr 5$ vps, and it works without problems. Knock on wood.

• Would not recommend x86 for a PHP website. 2 cores are better than one, but Atom cores are pretty unstable. And 1 xeon core works much better that these 2. Am I wrong? o_O

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@trnj said:
    Would not recommend x86 for a PHP website. 2 cores are better than one, but Atom cores are pretty unstable. And 1 xeon core works much better that these 2. Am I wrong? o_O

This has nothing to do with how much cores you have, this is simply an issue of single thread performance where (basically any) Xeon CPUs are way way better than Atoms.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2016

I remember the old days, when 12 years ago a server with much less computing power was able to hold high online traffic. Now we have many cores with way more computing power (see smartphones) and we debate if one is better over the other. I think we consume too much.

When will we ever have enough performance? When will we stop and take what we need at that moment, not what we desire for thousands and thousands of customers that we do not have (when starting a project)?

• @default said:
    When will we ever have enough performance? When will we stop and take what we need at that moment, not what we desire for thousands and thousands of customers that we do not have (when starting a project)?

Hey man, have a rest :) Looks like you had a busy day :)

We are here trying to save money on cpu and decrease our costs.

• virtualizor said: Scaleway any day. I wish they had more locations.

They have