Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had a tiny vps brain, first time for me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I had a tiny vps brain, first time for me

leonaleona Member

It worked fine. But now it has hit a wall with my vps. I set an icecast server up at root. Appears apache is running, fail2ban is operating and I just installed vsftpd, successfully.

I installed winscp and filezilla ftp on my home hoopty with win7 64bit. I can log in to the vps using a created user but the login sez root /. Filezilla shows loged in but its at / with no directories showing, nothing, just the forward slash. Same with winscp.

At the slash I was able to create a folder and it shows when logged in. I don't see any other of the files or directories, Just a folder with the folder I made.

Have I blown something in my head out or is this a problem with the vps and permissions. I allowed port 21, 20 with iptables and the ftp config file.

I tried all the tricks and gimmicks with filezilla and wincp like passive mode and blaa blaa.

I'm at a lose and hope someone out there can point this out

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2016

The issue is that you have the FTP directory root set wrong. It's not the permissions - you even set it to not allow the user to exit the set directory...?

I honestly cannot tell without your vsftpd config

Thanked by 3GCat leona netomx
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

My head started to hurt after reading and trying to comprehend a few lines of the drab you just posted.

God, I need coffee!

• K4Y5 said: My head started to hurt TV after reading

Let-Rap for the win!

• I have the vsftpd config set according to the install directions.

Vi /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

anonymous_enable=NO

local_enable=YES

chroot_local_user=YES

hit esc key, : and wq! to save

Then restart - service vsftpd restart

And load it up on server boot with - chkconfig vsftpd on

I made an ftp directory {mkdir ftp} from ssh on the root of the vps and even that failed to show when filezilla ftp logged in.

So it could be the ftp client is logging in to / ?

• @K4Y5 said:
    My head started to hurt after reading and trying to comprehend a few lines of the drab you just posted.

God, I need coffee!

A brain smaller than mine crying out obviously. Drab it is not, legitimate question it is.

• Further more....

It appears others are having the same issue and some are fixed from changing settings in the ftp client while others are not. I looked the issue up and tried the fix as reported by others. Still it failed.

• This is what I get when ftp://domain

Images folder created from filezilla ftp session and nothing in or shows in directory above images.

• yo what you wanna create {Eg: An FTP user with Chroot ed folder } or some other thing

• My tiny vps brain seems to have fallen upon a clue why no directories show when ftp session is opened.

In the vsftpd conf file the chroot local user yes is jailed. So I have to figure how to let the local user out of jail and in the ftp files.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2016
  • @leona said:
    My tiny vps brain seems to have fallen upon a clue why no directories show when ftp session is opened.

In the vsftpd conf file the chroot local user yes is jailed. So I have to figure how to let the local user out of jail and in the ftp files.

If you want i can take a look under the hood

will send my Skype ID via PM if you are ok with that

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited October 2016

@leona said:
    I have the vsftpd config set according to the install directions.

Vi /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

anonymous_enable=NO

local_enable=YES

chroot_local_user=YES

hit esc key, : and wq! to save

Then restart - service vsftpd restart

And load it up on server boot with - chkconfig vsftpd on

I made an ftp directory {mkdir ftp} from ssh on the root of the vps and even that failed to show when filezilla ftp logged in.

So it could be the ftp client is logging in to / ?

Follow this link and start fresh

• It's jailed because it can protect your system files from being exposed to the public.

Try putting directories into your personal account ie /root/xyz?

• Yes msg7086, the users are jailed, as is the new user. I tried to allow the 1 created user with a file in the vsftpd folder but still have an issue. If I enable=no the local enable, all root files appear in the ftp session. Now that I seen it works, I'm working on local_enable=yes to jail everyone and get the 1 user allowed.

Thanks Simonindia for the link, looks promising to resolve.

My tiny vps brain is growing

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Would you mind check home directory of your users with the following command.

(it shows user accounts, remove the space).

cat /etc/passw d

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

What is your main language?

• @Ikoula said:
    Hello,

cat /etc/passw d

It reports:

cat: /etc/passw: no such file or directory
    cat: d: no such file or directory

• @leona said:

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

cat /etc/passw d

It reports:

OOOPS removed the space passw d and I see the ftp user x:500:500:

• @leona said:

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

cat /etc/passw d

It reports:

Dude you are killing every one i have sent you my EMAIL ID if you want send me an email with your server credentials i will take a look under the hood

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @simonindia said:

@leona said:

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

cat /etc/passw d

It reports:

Dude you are killing every one i have sent you my EMAIL ID if you want send me an email with your server credentials i will take a look under the hood

My apologies if I killed anyone, anyway, Thanks for your offer but I prefer to keep my vps anon and work the bugs from my end

• @leona said:

@simonindia said:

@leona said:

@Ikoula said:
    Hello,

cat /etc/passw d

It reports:

My apologies if I killed anyone, anyway, Thanks for your offer but I prefer to keep my vps anon and work the bugs from my end

:)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

leona said: OOOPS removed the space passw d and I see the ftp user x:500:500:

No path ? you should have something like /home/ftpuser

• leona said: chroot_local_user=YES

This jail the ftp user in their /home/[user] folder. Check to see if your uploaded files/folders are in there.

FTP was never mean to be used to manage your system files. Use SFTP over SSH instead if you need to access system files.

Thanked by 1Falzo