Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Site Load Balancing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Site Load Balancing

Hi,
What should i do for site load balancing. If my site is running on one server and this goes to down then i want my site should not down. what should i do?
should i use two server with different Ip's
How both server data and email will update automatically?

Comments

• Use a service with floating IPs, or go with DNS fail over. Rage4 can do that, although they got pretty expensive.

Is your App replicating properly?

• vintervinter Member
    edited October 2016

What u are looking for is not Load Balancing but HA/Failover. Your options depend on your existing infrastructure (you get more options like elastic IPs at AWS e.g.). DNS failover (1 Server + hot standby backup or cold backup - depends on your budget) is one of the simpler solutions and should be enough for your needs. You can combine DNS failover with load balancing of course, but you have to keep in mind that if one server goes down the other node has to be able to handle traffic for 2 nodes (common pitfall). There are of course more (hybrid) options with more than 2 servers, the amount of combinations/solutions is almost endless :)

• CloudFlare is working on a new tool called Traffic Manager that is going to add support for DNS Failover to their service, once it's released, everyone is going to be able to have a HA website on the cheap.

• Something like https://github.com/blackdotsh/UptimeFlare can help. You'll have to manage your own syncing though.

• stasistasi Member
    edited October 2016

I think it would be cheaper for you, if you could answer this 'why is my server going down?'

ddos? get a protection

bad uptime? change your host
    etc etc.

• @black said:
    Something like https://github.com/blackdotsh/UptimeFlare can help. You'll have to manage your own syncing though.

do you have something for like 2012R2 DNS Servers like that?
    as I don't really like cloudflare for the simple fact you cannot do anything much on the free plan(and I am cheap and don't want to pay more than "free" lol)

• timnboys said: do you have something for like 2012R2 DNS Servers like that? as I don't really like cloudflare for the simple fact you cannot do anything much on the free plan(and I am cheap and don't want to pay more than "free" lol)

I don't. Cloudflare's free plan for just DNS works fine for me :)

• You might take a look at gdnsd.org/ I have been using gdnsd for a good while and have been very happy with it.

• @timnboys said:

@black said:
    Something like https://github.com/blackdotsh/UptimeFlare can help. You'll have to manage your own syncing though.

do you have something for like 2012R2 DNS Servers like that?
    as I don't really like cloudflare for the simple fact you cannot do anything much on the free plan(and I am cheap and don't want to pay more than "free" lol)

What do you need to do on the free plan? It's pretty functional to many people, including me

Thanked by 1PremiumN