Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

VPS with Hong Kong/China IP
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

VPS with Hong Kong/China IP

johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited April 2013 in General

Some suggestion please? (HK/China is fine)
    I know edis/ovh/vps.net got it

but edis won't be having HK stock until mid-April or something
    ovh doesn't support tun/tap
    vps.net no more hk stock

Requirement:
    -tun/tap enabled
    -128mb ram
    -2gb hdd
    -500gb bandwidth/month or above
    -100mbps or 1gbps shared doesn't matter
    -$20/month or lesser =D

Comments

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
      edited April 2013

I was looking for a HK deal a few days ago with no luck as well. EDIS charges a surcharge on the HK VPS, and the bandwidth is 75% less, so it is actually fairly expensive.

The best I can find is OneAsiaHost in Singapore, which has OK ping from HK (70-80ms I believe when I tried it) and is way cheaper. For the kind of price range, that might be your best bet.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself!
      96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

• JyleeJylee Member, Provider

vr.org but their cheapest plan is 1G

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider
      edited April 2013

Yes, OneAsiaHost is probably your best choice. They have good prices. But are based in SG.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
    • johnlth93johnlth93 Member
      edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: EDIS charges a surcharge on the HK VPS, and the bandwidth is 75% less, so it is actually fairly expensive.

I've tried their old HK server back in 2012 and overall was fine although they got the 75% less traffic but the price consider okay for me, i do know traffic in asia are fairly expensive, so ~

@Jylee said: vr.org but their cheapest plan is 1G

I heard of them before on LEN but do you have any experience with them?
      and their HK server ain't available now. I just check their website "Oops, we're out of capacity in this location"

• @Ishaq said: Yes, OneAsiaHost is probably your best choice.

@zhuanyi said: The best I can find is OneAsiaHost in Singapore, which has OK ping from HK

I do got 1 vps with OAH but what i needed now is HK/China IP to access traffic restricted for China only

• @johnlth93 said: how you had any experience with them before?

I mean I have a VPS in their New York City location and am enjoying it. Don't know too much about their HK Location.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    • @HalfEatenPie said: I mean I have a VPS in their New York City location and am enjoying it. Don't know too much about their HK Location.

wait o.O
      you're @Jylee ??

@johnlth93 I have uesd theirs before. edis is using their network. it is good to mainland China.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
      edited April 2013

@Jylee said: @johnlth93 I have uesd theirs before. edis is using their network. it is good to mainland China.

That's great, but they are unavailable now isn't it?
      wait, they do? i thought edis was using sunnyvision

@johnlth93 they moved to vr.org hknet a few months ago. Look at their blog.

if you want China VPS, I can offer you. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/228677
      it performs not very good and might be out of stock now.

• @johnlth93 said: I do got 1 vps with OAH but what i needed now is HK/China IP to access traffic restricted for China only

Get a Chinese VPS? I saw someone was selling it here a while ago.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself!
      96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

• @zhuanyi said: Get a Chinese VPS? I saw someone was selling it here a while ago.

You mean China or just chinese provider?

• @johnlth93 said: You mean China or just chinese provider?

I meant China.

• @zhuanyi said: I meant China.

Was that a provider? Can't seem to find the offer

• I guess you need a VPN instead of a VPS.

• @ThunderServ said: I guess you need a VPN instead of a VPS.

I make my own VPN =)

• @Jylee said: @johnlth93 they moved to vr.org hknet a few months ago. Look at their blog.

ya i heart they moved but din know it was vr.org

@Jylee said: if you want China VPS, I can offer you. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/228677

it performs not very good and might be out of stock now.

well i would like to try that, let me take a look at your post first
      will contact you there

@johnlth93 ok. I am going to sleep now. Good night.

• @Jylee said: @johnlth93 ok. I am going to sleep now. Good night.

i see, good night then

• @johnlth93 said: Was that a provider? Can't seem to find the offer

right above my post http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/243551#Comment_243551, never used them though so can't comment on how good/bad it is. It is running by a high school student in China from what I can see, and at least you don't have to apply for a license for it.

• @zhuanyi said: It is running by a high school student in China from what I can see

really? that just "comfort" me a lot
      anyway i think i'm not going to go for that, seem bad especially the manual activation and reboot/reinstall. Oh and they seem to have only Windows and CentOS

• @johnlth93 said: really? that just "comfort" me a lot

Many hosts here are teenagers/high school students, as long as they have the technical know-how I do not see it as a huge problem.

Of course, it is your own decision and good luck finding a good VPS!

• @zhuanyi said: Many hosts here are teenagers/high school students

I do not know that
      anyway do hope to find one soon while i am waiting for edis =)

• thanks, but most host (hong kong) in the list i've already found out on google
      any other suggestion?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

@johnlth93 - try China instead (if you want to have Chinese IP)

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

@johnlth93 said: wait, they do? i thought edis was using sunnyvision

We moved to VR a few months ago (very early 2013).

Recommendation: never use Sunnyvision or any of their "cloud" subcompanies.

• wickawicka Member

Quickhost.hk DIY shared hosting

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2013

They are funny, they casually use "$" when they mean HKD, which is like eight to one USD.

So their "$98/month Cloud Machine" is actually about 12.5 USD.

• lbftlbft Member
      edited April 2013

@rm_ said: They are funny, they casually use "$" when they mean HKD, which is like eight to one USD.

Well, they're presumably a Hong Kong company - $ is their local currency symbol. The dollar/peso sign is used for a bunch of currencies.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

@rm_ said: They are funny, they casually use "$" when they mean HKD

Eh? That's pretty normal on HK sites, nobody in HK cares about USD.

• Another vote for vr.org, we use them for the HK location in our anycast setup, they've been great.

• rm_rm_ Member

@William said: Eh? That's pretty normal on HK sites, nobody in HK cares about USD.

This is a .com site written in English, nothing gives out that this is a local HK site.
      And on global websites at least specifying "HK$" (if not HKD) is more common.

• HK was British colony several years ago, i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language (since there is not only one single Chinese language).

-

• @johnlth93 said: wait o.O

you're @Jylee ??

No? I just like vr.org's services?

• rm_rm_ Member

@rds100 said: i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language

That's not correct.

Hong Kong's de facto official language is Cantonese, a Chinese language originating from Guangdong province to the north of Hong Kong. English is also an official language, and according to a 1996 by-census is spoken by 3.1 percent of the population as an everyday language and by 34.9 percent of the population as a second language.

• @rm_ said: @rds100 said: i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language

That's not correct.

Most of people CAN speak English in HK since they have to undergo the British education system, but most of them don't use it as their first language at home or at work.

• FluXFluX Member

@rds100 said: HK was British colony several years ago, i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language (since there is not only one single Chinese language).

I think you mean dialect. Chinese is the language, mandarin, cantonese are dialects of the chinese language. Difference is dialects all use same written characters, so if people can't speak to each other they can at least communicate via written form.

• @William said: We moved to VR a few months ago (very early 2013).

I'm that dude asked on edis fb page, waiting for your HK server =P

@HalfEatenPie said: No? I just like vr.org's services?

I see

• wickawicka Member

I use vr.org as well. Performance not perfect but support is good and stable.

Quickhost.hk DIY shared hosting

• @wicka said: I use vr.org as well

Seem quite lot of ppl suggested vr.org
      If their HK server come to available again, i would really go for it

• rm_rm_ Member

vr.org lowest plan is $10, and network speed is limited to 1 Mbps.
      Seems like a total waste of money.

• @rm_ said: network speed is limited to 1 Mbps.

Um... my container is definitely not limited to 1 Mbps.

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2013

http://www.vr.org/buy-vps/#asiahk

Name Ram HD Xfer Speed Cost
      VR256 256MB 10GB 100GB 1Mbps $10

@HalfEatenPie if not now, then they can limit it at any time, and this will be completely according to the published plan specs. Or maybe you bought it before these terms, and this doesn't apply to you.

• The fact that it's advertised as 1Mbps doesn't mean it's really limited.
      For instance we also advertise 10Mbps on some plans, but don't enforce it unless the customer starts doing stupid things. So far we've had to enforce it on one customer only, ever.

-

• @rm_ said: Name Ram HD Xfer Speed Cost

VR256 256MB 10GB 100GB 1Mbps $10

dam i din't even notice that, 1mbps

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
      edited April 2013

@rm_: Huh, well I do see that now.

You see, I ran this: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/22/IBNoiIMvcbCRIfRP

Edit: I'm sure that's guaranteed 1Mbps but burst up to 100Mbps.

• @rm_ that's actually great pricing for dedicated mainland china bandwidth.

@HalfEatenPie - it's different based on region (selector in the top right of the plans page) - looks like the link given goes directly to asia/hong kong

Retired!

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2013

@rds100 Well if a grocery store would advertise their bread as having sawdust in it, this doesn't make me want to buy, even if they don't actually put sawdust in there right now, or did it just once some time ago. (And they are free to do it again since it's "as advertised").

@rds100 said: For instance we also advertise 10Mbps on some plans

This would just make me close the browser tab INSTANTLY.

but don't enforce it

...this would be completely irrelevant to me as the browser tab is already closed and your brandname/offer is already forgotten.