Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean + Serverpilot for WordPress Sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean + Serverpilot for WordPress Sites

OH404OH404 Member
edited October 2016 in Reviews

Hey guys,

Yesterday I posted a thread asking how many people are currently using DigitalOcean to run their WordPress sites. The answers were mixed and weren't what I was looking for. I was going to write a tutorial on how to use ServerPilot to combine DigitalOcean and WordPress together.

This service is a "Simple, fast, secure hosting on your DigitalOcean servers." Instead of using the regular one-click install WordPress via DigitalOcean, you can use ServerPilot because it will automatically optimize your server for you.

Some cool features:
-Firewall by Default
-App Isolation
-Automated Updates
-Nginx, Asynchronous, HTTP/2, and Minimal Resource Usage
-Multiple PHP Versions (up to PHP 7)
-and more

ServerPilot is free (it also has premium plans) but I think the free plan provide everything already.

If you want to learn more, click here

Comments

• Why not contact @jbiloh and see if you can get this published on lowendbox?

Last i heard he's still looking for content writers, and you might even get paid for it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Someone mentioned EasyEngine awhile back and I've been using it almost exclusively since https://easyengine.io/

Will setup a fully optimized LEMP stack, with WP installed for your domain, Let's Encrypt SSL, etc - all from 2 lines. Supports Debian and works on OpenVZ, which ServerPilot doesn't do last I checked. Definitely worth checking out if you do any WP work.

• @Harambe said:
    Someone mentioned EasyEngine awhile back and I've been using it almost exclusively since https://easyengine.io/

Will setup a fully optimized LEMP stack, with WP installed for your domain, Let's Encrypt SSL, etc - all from 2 lines. Supports Debian and works on OpenVZ, which ServerPilot doesn't do last I checked. Definitely worth checking out if you do any WP work.

Easyengine, without any app isolation features, sucks for pretty much anyone who is not a total noob running webserver for 'teh lulz'.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2016

@K4Y5 said:

@Harambe said:

Easyengine, without any app isolation features, sucks for pretty much anyone who is not a total noob running webserver for 'teh lulz'.

Or you could run secure code and not be worried about it ;)

Dear everyone in the world, stop installing every Wordpress plugin you find.

Thanked by 2Harambe zafouhar
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited October 2016

@jarland said:

@K4Y5 said:

@Harambe said:

I steer clear of such scripts and prefer to set everything up manually, so that I know exactly what / how I have set things up for anything that is running on my servers.

Having said that, the fact that these scripts are targeted at newbs who probably don't know the consequences of finding a plugin for everything they want, and installing it on their website without giving a second thought, the least the developers could have done is come up with a way too make it a bit more secure, as opposed to promoting a half arsed script all over the web, without a disclaimer or any clear warning :P

PS: If you really have to use a script lacking app isolation, use centminmod, which is WAY better and has a dev who is constantly trying to improve it, and actually takes security seriously.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @jarland said:

@K4Y5 said:

@Harambe said:

Wordpress plugins are like having sex with prostitutes. It's all nice and dandy until you find out you may have caught something you didn't intend to get.

Thanked by 2jar Bochi
  • DeanDean Member
    edited October 2016

Didn't I already write a tutorial that won a competition or something?
    That reminds me, I never got the prize...