Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedicated server, Limited Bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedicated server, Limited Bandwidth?

jxdyzxjxdyzx Member
edited October 2016 in Help

I use online.net dedicated server as a seedbox, and they send two tickets about bandwidth to me.

Your guaranteed bandwidth is 200 mbps and you have exceed it 736 times for server SD-85912.

Then I limited the rtorrent's upload speed to 19.7Mb/s, but I still received another ticket.

You are always on top of bandwidth allowed, please limit your bandwith or system apply a 100Mbs automatically.

So, here comes two problems.

1. What's the real bandwidth limit of online.net, I have sent a ticket for it but still no response.

2. My upload speed limit is 19.7Mb/s, then it should be approximately 160Mbps(19.7*8=157.6), but look at the below graph, my upload speed reach a speed more than 200Mbps. What's the problem, I didnot run any other service,is the statistics data wrong or I need to do other settings?

Alt text

Alt text

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Alt text

oops, it seems that online.net has already limited my bandwidth to 100Mbps.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

MiB is byte, and Mb is a bit. 8 bits in a byte. You should set the limit to 10 to be safe.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Also, the upload and download are separately limited in rTorrent if i remember correctly.

• @pbgben said:
    MiB is byte, and Mb is a bit. 8 bits in a byte. You should set the limit to 10 to be safe.

I know that 8 bits in a byte, I set 19.7 because they said guaranteed bandwidth is 200 mbps in the first ticket.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Verify with tools like nload and jnettop what's your incoming traffic is, and what are top hosts/ports that are being transferred from/to. My guess is that the limiter in your torrent client is not precise enough, or maybe it only sets limit as counted from useful data being downloaded, not taking into account any overheads.

• thatixthatix Member
    edited October 2016

Personally I can't understand why many people invest $$$ to rent a dedi as a seedbox apart from some special cases such as home BB ISP blocks BT traffic (I am not saying that PT is bad......)

I guess we are pretty near the day that people rent servers with 10Gbps pips for PT ;)
    Worldstream,M247,etc.

Oh, may need pure SSD or disk IO could be the bottleneck

• @rm_ said:
    Verify with tools like nload and jnettop what's your incoming traffic is, and what are top hosts/ports that are being transferred from/to. My guess is that the limiter in your torrent client is not precise enough, or maybe it only sets limit as counted from useful data being downloaded, not taking into account any overheads.

Thanks, I will do as what you said~

• xyzxyz Member

jxdyzx said: What's the real bandwidth limit of online.net, I have sent a ticket for it but still no response.

Vague. Probably something along the lines of 'we'll complain if we feel like it'. Exceeding the guaranteed limit for an 'extended period of time' (whatever that is) is definitely a no-no, and I suspect that 100Mbps is fine, so the limit is likely somewhere between the two.

thatix said: Personally I can't understand why many people invest $$$ to rent a dedi as a seedbox apart from some special cases such as home BB ISP blocks BT traffic

Or maybe it costs a lot to upload from home machines, or upload speed is typically very slow on home connections, possibly many other reasons etc...

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@thatix said:
    Personally I can't understand why many people invest $$$ to rent a dedi as a seedbox

Data caps, slow upload speeds, eagerness to learn something new, or a hard on for burning tons of bandwidth, lots of reasons why someone may invest some cash in a dedicated seedbox.

• In Hetzner you would be stuck with 10 Mbps permanently ;)

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited October 2016

IIRC, the Hetzner speed restriction only comes into effect only if you use more than your monthly traffic quota. It can be removed by paying the hefty penalty of 1euro per extra TB used.

To be honest, at least I know what to expect with Hetzner and get a consistently good speed. Their rules are clear and well-documented.

With OnlineNet, my connectivity (and arbitrary rule enforcement) often seems to depend on the temperament mood swings of its network/staff ;)

xyz said: Vague. Probably something along the lines of 'we'll complain if we feel like it'.

Exactly this!

• Who cares about rtorrent speed cap when BW stats shows your server exceed 200mbps? If you are not agree with their stats, you can install own bandwidth monitor tool such as NTOP.

• What's the advantages of a limited server with 1Gbps port once that you reachs out the bandwidth speed your server is throlled?

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited October 2016

@mtsbatalha said:
    What's the advantages of a limited server with 1Gbps port once that you reachs out the bandwidth speed your server is throlled?

You can burst up to 1 Gbps ;)

• @Spacedust said:

@mtsbatalha said:
    What's the advantages of a limited server with 1Gbps port once that you reachs out the bandwidth speed your server is throlled?

OK, so you can burst up to 1Gbps untill you is throlled?

In hardware terms it's a deal, but in bandwidth terms is not a big deal.

• Surely, you can burst to 400M-500M for short periods for https web traffic.

I don't intend to waste an SSD on silly seedbox disk thrashing.

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

@mtsbatalha said:

@Spacedust said:

@mtsbatalha said:

OK, so you can burst up to 1Gbps untill you is throlled?

In hardware terms it's a deal, but in bandwidth terms is not a big deal.

Not all of us need to use a ton of bandwidth and would much rather have a dedicated that can burst up to 1 Gbps rather then be limited to a 100 port.