Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who uses WordPress + DigitalOcean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who uses WordPress + DigitalOcean

Hello guys,

I plan to write a case study and a tutorial for people who uses WordPress on DigitalOcean. I don't know if anybody on LET are using this combination.

Thanks,

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Any questions I can answer from the DO perspective, let me know. Happy to help.

• @jarland said:

No question, at all. Just want to know if anyone from this community is using the service. I plan to write a short tutorial on something relating to it.

• @OH404 said:

@jarland said:

No question, at all. Just want to know if anyone from this community is using the service. I plan to write a short tutorial on something relating to it.

So this Tutorial would be LET exclusive?

• zaecwxlpzaecwxlp Member
    edited October 2016

@OH404 are you familiar with the DigitalOcean Community?
    a quick search lists 1259 results for ‘wordpress’ and given that Wordpress claim to power nearly 30% of the web I doubt you'll find much that isn't already covered in great detail.

Unless you're planning something wildly original you might be wasting your time!

• LeeLee Veteran

OH404 said: who uses WordPress on DigitalOcean

DO have several tutorials on their own site for this, sure if you want to write one but I would prefer theirs.

edited October 2016

Thread cleaned.

Thanked by 1austenite
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jarland
    Curious why my post was deleted.
    Was it because I quoted other posts?

You can answer in private ....

• Just curious, what specs do you run @digital ocean to runa decent wordpress site? 2GB/40GB SSD?

• hostswithmost said: Just curious, what specs do you run @digital ocean to runa decent wordpress site? 2GB/40GB SSD?

It really depends on what your wordpress site is like. The type of wordpress installations are so vast it's a bit like asking 'what specs do you need to run a webserver'?

If you're simply running it as a blog with minimal bloating plugins and caching all pages because they're most likely completely static, a 128MB vps would be totally fine even under load.

If you're running something like BuddyPress and adding every plugin under the sun, yeah you'll need a few gigs of RAM and hope you don't get a huge spike in traffic.

edited October 2016

@hostswithmost said:
    Just curious, what specs do you run @digital ocean to runa decent wordpress site? 2GB/40GB SSD?

Depends on many unpredictable factors. The 512mb droplet might house one person's Wordpress fine while the 64gb ($640/m) might fail to house another person's site. The second one might even receive less traffic.

You see, themes and plugins create a variable that cannot be calculated in advance. They introduce new code that can exponentially impact the resource usage for each page view.

• Wasn't there a wordpress install template created recently for digitalocean droplets?

@teamacc said:
    Wasn't there a wordpress install template created recently for digitalocean droplets?

We've had a one-click install for as long as I can remember. It recently received a significant overhaul to address common problems that people ran into as it was seeing large scale use by people who did not desire to be Linux admins at any scale. There's a more vanilla user script here:

https://github.com/digitalocean/do_user_scripts/blob/master/Ubuntu-16.04/cms/wordpress.sh

• Sorry for bumping an old thread.
    Looking for a new WP Buddypress for about 2000 members maximum. It's a free site which I make for the community which I belongs to.
    As the community members are from India, its almost impossible to use Extravm shared plan with 3GB Ram.
    Signed up with xinix for SG shared:; but didn't make the payment after seeing a few horrible reviews. Thinking about DO Banglore location. I have 50G Reseler hosting from HM SG location which is used for my client sites. I don't know whether HM will increase my disk space for some additional payment or not.

Hence looking for some shared host with ping <100ms and good limits.
    CyberIn is one which I saw today.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Sorry for bumping an old thread.
    Looking for a new WP Buddypress for about 2000 members maximum. It's a free site which I make for the community which I belongs to.
    As the community members are from India, its almost impossible to use Extravm shared plan with 3GB Ram.
    Signed up with xinix for SG shared:; but didn't make the payment after seeing a few horrible reviews. Thinking about DO Banglore location. I have 50G Reseler hosting from HM SG location which is used for my client sites. I don't know whether HM will increase my disk space for some additional payment or not.

Hence looking for some shared host with ping <100ms and good limits.
    CyberIn is one which I saw today.

Linode (aff link) has a Mumbai location and I have tested it. Latency is nice. Mostly in single-digit ms..

Also, what forum software are you running for the 2k members? perhaps it might issue of the plugin that you're using? creating an unacceptable load?

• It's WordPress with buddypress plugin.