Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking for a blogging system that is lightweight and management panel.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking for a blogging system that is lightweight and management panel.

I can get an easy installation system. I welcome your suggestions.

Comments

• No system is lighter and faster than static sites. So, how about static generators like Hugo, Pelican, Jekyll?

Depending on your needs it might be the perfect match.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

As @alfinderau said, check out static generators...he named the best, in the exact order I'd check 'em out :-) (Left to write, that's golang-, python-, and ruby-based SSGs, though you don't need to know those languages to use the SSG).

And really, Wordpress is pretty lightweight with a management panel, until someone loads a thousand plugins.

Kirby is a pretty neat simple-with-panel blogging system.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • Here I'd recommend a pencil and a pad of paper, or just shout into an empty room.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2016

lowend_explorer said: I can get an easy installation system. I welcome your suggestions.

How about instead you do the appropriate research, install and set it up so you learn about the process and understand how things work instead of just trusting a piece of software someone else wrote?

Also, when/if you do find such a script, are you going to review it to make sure someone hasn't included some malicious code that back doors your server? Would you even be able to tell if there was one? If not, again, I suggest you take the time to learn and do it your self so you can be sure of the quality of your work and if something does happen you will at least have a basic understanding of how to troubleshoot any issues.

It would be nice if you took the time to do your own research instead of just opening threads about every task you think about doing.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

TheLinuxBug said: It would be nice if you took the time to do your own research instead of just opening threads about every task you think about doing.

Dammit, I didn't notice who the OP was.

@lowend_explorer - how about you go off, read about blogging systems, and come back and tell us which one is best. You know, add some value to the community instead of being a tedious leech.

• @raindog308 said:

TheLinuxBug said: It would be nice if you took the time to do your own research instead of just opening threads about every task you think about doing.

Dammit, I didn't notice who the OP was.

@lowend_explorer - how about you go off, read about blogging systems, and come back and tell us which one is best. You know, add some value to the community instead of being a tedious leech.

Going to break a rule. "Leech"

• Wordpress

• WHTWHT Member

@alfinderau said:
    No system is lighter and faster than static sites. So, how about static generators like Hugo, Pelican, Jekyll?

Depending on your needs it might be the perfect match.

How secure are they? Any experience with Hugo?

• @dotted said:
    https://getgrav.org/ dummyproof

Doesn't look bad at all at first sight... How is it?

• Checkout Ghost.org :)

• It looks a lot better than it is. The backend in particular "looks good". ;)

I'm sure if you put a lot of effort into it, you might get something decent. What I saw when I tried it didn't make much of an impression.

@Amitz said:

@dotted said:

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • wordpress could be light if you build you site right only not overload with plugins

• Ghost would be faster than wordpress for me, but wordpress could run in a lower specs.

Htmly and grav is nice too. But jekyl would also interesting

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • IamIam Member

If you planning to use grav be sure to check this issue https://github.com/getgrav/grav/issues/931

When asked, we have always said Grav is best suited to sites < 1000 pages.

• alfinderau said: No system is lighter and faster than static sites. So, how about static generators like Hugo, Pelican, Jekyll?

+1 static site are fastest, light on resources and most secure of all

• Wordpress can be run perfectly on a 128MB ram server. Can't see any full fledged system being lighter then that.

Thanked by 1thatix
  • alfinderau said: how about static generators like Hugo, Pelican, Jekyll?

Those are all huge, iirc. They're certainly not what I call light. I recommend Fblog as I've looked at just about everything under the sun and found this is the only workable blogging software that actually is light. Coded in Fortran 2008, for those interested in such things. Examples here.

• Check out Bludit CMS.

• edited October 2016

Hi, I can host the virtual servers have a static site generator. (No GitHub Pages)

//Edit by Amitz: Please refrain from excessive name tagging. Thank you.

• k0nsl said: It looks a lot better than it is. The backend in particular "looks good". ;)
    I'm sure if you put a lot of effort into it, you might get something decent. What I saw when I tried it didn't make much of an impression.

Thanks for the insight! I would use it (if at all) as a cost-free alternative to Kirby (which I like a lot) or Statamatic. Let's see - I just put it on a server and will play around with it for some time. ;)

• LeeLee Veteran

Ole_Juul said: Those are all huge, iirc.

Huh, what, huge why?

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

Not actively in development, but it works good.
    http://www.nibbleblog.com/

• @Amitz said:

@dotted said:

It's really great, the panel is just perfect! The plugins provided by GravTeam just make everything easier

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • PluXml (available in Softaculous under CMS) stores data in XML files and is the fastest dynamic site generator I've seen. There are some limitations - it only supports simple menus, there are only a few themes, and some of the unofficial plugins don't work with version 5.5. But it's simple and nice, and you can install a WYSIWYG editor plugin if you like. (I don't - the only plugin I use is MyBetterUrls, for simple human-friendly URLs).

I looked at Grav and other sophisticated CMSs but they were comparatively big, heavy and slow. Since I only needed a few pages, PluXml works very well for that. The main problem is that all the documentation is in French. But it's not hard to edit the theme CSS or the PHP page templates.

Anyway, this makes me happy on a very low end server. Just for kicks, I copied the generated pages to another directory and accessed them as a completely static site. It was somewhat faster, but not enough to matter much.

bobbr said: PluXml (available in Softaculous under CMS) stores data in XML files and is the fastest dynamic site generator I've seen.

Hugo does 5000 posts in 5 seconds, which is about 1ms per page.

I don't know which is faster...though also, I don't really care, once they reach a "fast enough" point and I find all of them are "fast enough". I mean, writing the blog post is the long part :-) Once it's done, I want to fire off a "update the blog" script and walk away. At that point, 5 seconds vs 5 minutes doesn't really matter to me. YMMV.

• Grav does seem to be a good idea. I think I will give it a go.

From the github issues link, the performance is a factor when Grav has to check if pages have changed. For more static related content, (say a site that hosts courses or articles that are once & done), turning off the check for page changes should work fine.

• Lee said: Huh, what, huge why?

I was referring to their size and complexity. Am I mistaken that they run into the multi megabyte range and have a lot of files? I'm not going to go re-check right now, but Fblog is just a hair over 1 Meg and that's what I'd call light in this day and age.

• Postleaf is very nice. https://postleaf.org

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Ole_Juul said:

Lee said: Huh, what, huge why?

I was referring to their size and complexity. Am I mistaken that they run into the multi megabyte range and have a lot of files? I'm not going to go re-check right now, but Fblog is just a hair over 1 Meg and that's what I'd call light in this day and age.

Size on disk doesn't really matter, and hasn't mattered for the past decade. Static site generators don't run on a server at all, so if what you care about is server load, then you're not going to find anything lighter than a static site generator.

Thanked by 1Lee