Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explain this to me.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Explain this to me.

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited April 2013 in General

Summary: I do a lot of non-profit open-source work and accept donations for that work. A while ago I made a donation thread because I couldn't quite manage financially because of an unexpected move. Ever since, I've been getting shitstorms and snide remarks both on LET and the IRC channel, about "begging" (which it isn't - begging involves not providing anything in return at all).

I have just one question that I'd like to see answered by these people:

Why do you consider it morally wrong to give people the option to pay for my work, rather than forcing them to pay for it?

I really don't care for "join the real world" or "get a job" kind of responses, I am just looking for an answer to the above question, seeing as it's constantly avoided by those complaining at me.

Comments

• Who said it was morally wrong?

• I think what you are doing is perfectly fine.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

• GET A JOB

• RyanDRyanD Member

Would you be open to accepting monthly "donations" for contributing work to our internal systems? LOL

• Because people love the fact that you're investing your time into a project without expecting anything in return but then when the poo hits the fan and you need support they all complain to you about wanting money.

People want free, people don't care for other's investments into other projects.

• @RyanD said: Would you be open to accepting monthly "donations" for contributing work to our internal systems? LOL

I might be interested in this if the "work" is interesting to do. :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I don't use your work, so I don't donate.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@RyanD and @serverian: He is working on an Open Source control panel known as CVM in case you're interested.

• @HalfEatenPie, I meant I would be interested in doing internal wiresix projects.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said: Who said it was morally wrong?

I am going to avoid naming particular people, but this appears to be a general theme going around with quite a few people since that donation thread. If you don't believe it's morally wrong, the above question doesn't apply to you :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Because people love the fact that you're investing your time into a project without expecting anything in return but then when the poo hits the fan and you need support they all complain to you about wanting money.

People want free, people don't care for other's investments into other projects.

It all boils down to - people want free like @HalfEatenPie said....
    Everyone wants you to do what you are doing, but don't care what happens to the projects or you when it comes to their wallets, and that's why some of these paid methods exist.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@joepie91 said: I am going to avoid naming particular people, but this appears to be a general theme going around since that donation thread. If you don't believe it's morally wrong, the above question doesn't apply to you :)

Most of the people doing it are just trying to wind you up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't agree with your life choices. I like your work. I want to see it continue. I accept your terms.

That is how adults deal with things.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@JoeMerit said: GET A JOB

Get a life.

• jhjh Member

@jarland said: I don't agree with your life choices. I like your work. I want to see it continue. I accept your terms.

That is how adults deal with things.

+1

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: I don't agree with your life choices. I like your work. I want to see it continue. I accept your terms.

These points, plus expanding on:

I want to see more of your work. I would use your work if you produced anything that I could use. I send a donation every now and then to effect this. I barely have enough to support myself, generally, let alone another individual, so it's good that these donations are appreciated.

@joepie91 said: I am going to avoid naming particular people

I suppose one of these individuals would be someone who is known to troll for the sake of trolling and has been this way since I started attending LEB IRC? :P

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said: I suppose one of these individuals would be someone who is known to troll for the sake of trolling and has been this way since I started attending LEB IRC? :P

No, I'm explicitly excluding the known trolls in this observation. There are several people who I believe take genuine issue with the donation-based work.

• Who ever blamed Wikipedia for choosing not to have ads running on them?

• vedranvedran Veteran

I am. Ads would be less annoying than "we need your money" every now and then

• @joepie91 Keep up the good work. Damn the other people.

• Quit your bitching man.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited April 2013

@Ishaq said: @JoeMerit said: GET A JOB

Get a life.

@joepie91 Make Your Own Job.. Something that generate money.
    I'm not as clever as you, but I have done that before (although not similar) and its not working.

• @vedran said: I am. Ads would be less annoying than "we need your money" every now and then

You know you would miss Jimmy's huge face taking up half the page every few months.

• LeeLee Veteran

I was critical of you in the donation thread for a few reasons, none were related to your choices of how you want/prefer to do things. In fact I respect what you stand for and your reasoning behind it, Indeed, I wish I could be more like you (in some ways), but I am too caught up in the corporate machine :)

• I'm totally fine with someone making the choice to code and invite donations for their efforts I do find your "donate" sig a little too "in yer face", not sure why as clearly lots of sigs here promoting services. Will need to ponder that one...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nothing wrong with it at all, but sadly human nature is to stamp on difference.

• Why do you consider it morally wrong to give people the option to pay for my work, rather than forcing them to pay for it?

they must be Mac or Windows users. :P

The "donate if you like it/if you can afford to donate" option is fairly standard in the open source world. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it, especially since payment is optional not required.

I do find your "donate" sig a little too "in yer face", not sure why as clearly lots of sigs here promoting services

I don't consider his signature in your face or offensive. An "In your face" or offensive signature to me is WHT where the vultures swoop in to post solely to flash their signatures.

• edited April 2013

I know you're smart enough to work out why some people made the comments they did. You clearly have certain individuals in mind, so why not ask them directly via PM or on IRC? If they won't answer you via those methods I don't see how this post is going to change that.

This just seems to be seeking more drama on the subject.

**I had/have no problem with you looking for donations