Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XenPV vs KVM (which to keep)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

XenPV vs KVM (which to keep)

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited December 2011 in Help

Hi all,

I just got myself a KVM vps 256mb ram. I now see a great Christmas Deal on WHT for XenPV vps 256mb for a great price. (about 1euro a month cheaper)

I was wondering, what reason should I have to keep my KVM instead of going for XenPV?
Don't load my own ISO's in my KVM, so that is not really a point.

Hope for your opinions, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel

PS: Maybe @Asim can help me again ;) ?

Comments

• jhjh Member

If what you have is working for you, why fuss over 1 euro?

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @jtodd said: If what you have is working for you, why fuss over 1 euro?

As a student, I am always trying to reduce my expenses to keep more money for other things.

• 2.3eur doesn't even buy a soda here

• @justinb said: 2.3eur doesn't even buy a soda here

We can live 2 luxury days with 2.3eur here.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited December 2011

XenPV v KVM is and Apply/Orange comparison.

If you get your job done in XenPV, that will be the faster of the two most times. KVM can do things Xen cannot, and I don't mean just PV, HVM also. Try running a fully encrypted drive in gentoo on Xen HVM, doesn't work.

• If what you are trying to do can be completed in XENPV and you are sure that the new host is worth-the-hastle, by all means do switch, else keep your current KVM

Sometimes, there are more things to consider than just $$ to save. May be a fly-by-night may offer you something at even lower rate but they will run away or provide poor service until they are gone :)

• @Asim said: Sometimes, there are more things to consider than just $$ to save. May be a fly-by-night may offer you something at even lower rate but they will run away or provide poor service until they are gone :)

I think Asim hit the nail on the head. If you are happy with your VPS $1 euro is not a good reason to change.

• Personally I am absolutely loving KVM, to borrow a line from the late CEO of a fruit company that makes most of my office hardware... "it just works."

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

The only benefit Xen PV has over KVM is performance and even then it's all based on hardware (with equal hardware Xen PV will outperform KVM and Xen HVM in all tests I've seen, not enough to make a difference in most cases, but enough that I would save $1 to get that added performance). KVM can do a lot more but then again with Xen now being included in the Linux kernel Xen will be getting a lot of attention it was missing out on.

I like to believe that KVM will work better than Xen in RHEL-based distros because RHEL is the primary backer of KVM and I'm sure they would love to see Xen die but I have nothing to back this belief up, just something to think about.

Xen has been around a lot longer and thus is more mature and while I hesitate to say "more stable", they just have a better track record based on their longer history.

Personally, I still like Xen over KVM both as a user and provider but that's because I'm a huge fan of Citrix XenServer. It's worth mentioning that I've switched our infrastructure servers from XenServer to Proxmox though, but only 2 of our infrastructure VPSs are running on KVM, the rest are OpenVZ.

• What is your opinion about Proxmox?

• @giang said: We can live 2 luxury days with 2.3eur here.

LOL really?
    Well, I can go to buy an expensive food, or go to watch a movie :P

• @yomero said: LOL really?

yeah, same here.. 1 euro = ~12k IDR

1 pack of marlboro = 12k IDR = 1 euro.

mostly i spent around 2-3 euro per day, for eat, cigaret, snack, bla2.. :P

• @Mon5t3r said: 1 pack of marlboro = 12k IDR = 1 euro.

I guess you'd save little rolling your own http://rollyourown.com/

I've guesstimated about $7-9 per carton this way, and the taste and quality is far superior to US or EU smokes, they are good like RU or MX smokes.

• @miTgiB hahaha nice, but i'm living near the cigar factory. 1Kg for 1.5 USD. :P

• It costs like 5-6 dollars per pint of larger here at the local brewery pub. Just worked out a gallon of petrol works out at around $10 (£1.39 /litre).

Having been to asia a few times (india,tibet,nepal,thailand) we lived on very little as we travelled around.

• @miTgiB said: they are good like RU or MX smokes.

MX is Mexico? We have good quality cigarettes? o_O

Note: I haven't smoked one in my life

• The only real reason I find for changing for changing providers is they do not offer what I need and or want, or the performance is not anything close to normal. The one eur a month difference is not worth the risk if the current provider has good uptime, support is knowledgeable and quick, and the vps performs well. The new provider may very well be cheaper but if they are new, or fairly new, their service may not be up to par yet or they may do a runner like a lot have around here.

What you need to ask yourself is, are your project, and/or websites, worth the risk of one eur a month. That is the question you need to answer for yourself. No one can answer that for you.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @yomero said: MX is Mexico? We have good quality cigarettes?

Cigarettes in Mexico, at least on every visit, lack all the additives found in US, CAN and EU smokes. I have not been to Mexico since 2001 though, so who knows what changes have taken place. I recall at the time it was around 90 peso for a carton and 9 peso to the dollar.

• @miTgiB said: 9 peso to the dollar.

Hehe, now is 14 and increasing ¬_¬

• @miTgiB said: I guess you'd save little rolling your own http://rollyourown.com/

Damn, they don't ship to Canada, eh.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@netpioneer said: What is your opinion about Proxmox?

Excellent system. Easy to use and feature packed. I only wish it had the ability to disable KVM and thus not install on an LVM since the RAID cards in my blades don't play well with LVMs.

• @sleddog said: Damn, they don't ship to Canada

Doesn't everyone in Canada who smokes already roll their own? And I doubt Canada was stupid enough to leave the gaping loophole we have with pipe tobacco tax-wise.

• @KuJoe said: I only wish it had the ability to disable KVM and thus not install on an LVM since the RAID cards in my blades don't play well with LVMs.

LVM are also used for OpenVZ live otf zero down-time (suspend mode) migration.

• @Mon5t3r said: mostly i spent around 2-3 euro per day, for eat, cigaret, snack, bla2.. :P

Everything is so affordable there. Sigh. Cost of living is very high here.