Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean's resize function is broken, they don't even say sorry.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean's resize function is broken, they don't even say sorry.

webflierwebflier Member
edited April 2013 in Providers

I tried their resize function twice in 3 month, both of my experience went badly.
This time I need to scale up my nodes due to insufficiency of resources, guess what? resize function is broken again!
4 hours after submitting my ticket, I got a reply saying they forwarded this issue to engineering department.
So, The only thing I can do is wait, watching my harddisks running out of space........

Comments

• it happens with many kvm providers.. resize2fs going bonkers...

• @webflier next time don't buy the "Cloud" buzzword. Buy a regular OpenVZ VPS instead, it can easily be resized up and down, without any reboot or downtime.

• @rds100 said: @webflier next time don't buy the "Cloud" buzzword. Buy a regular OpenVZ VPS instead, it can easily be resized up and down, without any reboot or downtime.

unfortunately, openvz is not an option for me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

DO in general doesn't feel they have to say sorry for anything, back when they fucked up and lost people's snapshots in NY, I haven't seen a single "sorry" or "apologize" anywhere, it's as if everything is par for the course and a part of normal DO experience.

• Out of curiosity, what makes DO special?

• @HalfEatenPie said: Out of curiosity, what makes DO special?

Looks bigger than other LEB hosts.

Probably one of the cheapest KVM hosts
    The hourly billing
    The backups
    The unmetered

• flyfly Member

@rds100 said: Buy a regular OpenVZ VPS instead

lolno

• @fly said: lolno

Why? Simple things work better, usually.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

OpenVZ is anything but simple. It is a collection of patches and hacks held together with a little more than good will. At least .32
    vServer, well, that is more like it.

• @Maounique it's basicly chroot on steroids and some duct tape. Much simpler than doing full CPU virtualisation + full hardware virtualisation.

• krypskryps Member

@webflier Can't you just take a snapshot and spin up a new instance from that? Beware though that on smaller instances taking a snapshot forces a powerdown of the snapshotted VM.

For me it's special because of pay per time based usage. So if i need some test box just deploy the vm, and if it not needed anymore just destroy it. Save every penny. :D

• krypskryps Member

@budingyun said: For me it's special because of pay per time based usage. So if i need some test box just deploy the vm, and if it not needed anymore just destroy it. Save every penny. :D

Exactly.

• @kryps said: @webflier Can't you just take a snapshot and spin up a new instance from that? Beware though that on smaller instances taking a snapshot forces a powerdown of the snapshotted VM.

That is exactly what i did.
    It is not working.
    The support has confirmed that it is broken.

• Can you purchase the extra resources, then boot up with some thing like gparted to change the partition?

That's what we do some times with our clients - I'm sure if you submit a ticket to them, they can do the same and assist you? If they use Solus, this can be done yourself as well, provided they make the ISO available. I don't know what they're using specifically, so I can't comment on work arounds.

That said, I've used providers like VPS.net who use OnApp and have had the same issues resizing via control panel as well, where as for SliceHost it worked fine. It just all depends on your set up. I haven't seen how they handle multiple partitions as well, for example, as far as I know, Solus templates etc will only resize the root partition (or partition 1) nothing else, hence why their templates only have root and swap.

It's still the Easter weekend, so you may need to wait a while for support.

• @webflier said: The support has confirmed that it is broken.

Support is great but not always solve the problem.

• You get what you pay for with DO. Nice and simple is true, but I've had droplets get 'stuck' in different processing states and run into various bugs. For the price you just live with it, their service is great!

• LeeLee Veteran

This has been raised before, the only efficient way (if you can call it that) is to snapshot your VM, destroy it and rebuild the VM on the new plan, then restore the snapshot.

Not ideal and not exactly what I would call a "safe" method however it's sometimes the only way. If you are downgrading the resize will work fine just upgrading and disk allocation is the issue.

• @W1V_Lee said: If you are downgrading the resize will work fine just upgrading and disk allocation is the issue.

One would expect that upgrading (expanding) is easy, downgrading (shrinking) is hard?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

DO has a nested kernel and shit IO for what the claim is SSD so I can only assume it is seriously over sold and thus might as well be OpenVZ based.

• @AnthonySmith said: DO has a nested kernel and shit IO for what the claim is SSD so I can only assume it is seriously over sold and thus might as well be OpenVZ based.

Your on a one man riot with OpenVZ this week aren't you haha.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@GetKVM_Ash said: Your on a one man riot with OpenVZ this week aren't you haha

:) naa, I am not the only one, I am just the one being honest.

When is your 5GB OpenVZ package coming anyway?

• What really gets me about this whole thing is you keep buying from these guys. Yes I get the prices are low, but broken is broken. If the product does not work correctly it does not work.

If this was any other provider here you guys would be all over him. Since it is DO you keep buying from them and keep making threads that things are broken.

You say you do it to save every penny well good on you. Then do it and stop saying things are broken all the time. Take it up with DO, LET is not your personal help desk. We do not work for them, nor do we have any control over what they do or how they do it.

But let me ask you one thing would you buy a car, that needed to drive right now, if it did not run? Of course not. There are many providers here that will give you a good product at a good price that works. You may even find out you like it better.

Okay my rant for April first is over. Have a good day everyone. :)

• krypskryps Member
    edited April 2013

@AuroraZ You are missing the point. There is no other low-end provider which makes it as easy to spin up/spin down instances for pennies per hour for quick tests. Of course quick tests like that happen to become serious use all the time and if resizing/scaling does not work at that point you are f***ed since migration to another host takes a lot of time and work.

Other top-rated providers on here like Ramnode or BuyVM are notoriously out of stock and don't offer per-hour billing. So they are not an alternative for this usecase.

• @AnthonySmith said: When is your 5GB OpenVZ package coming anyway?

Its not.

• @kryps No I got understand the point precisely and you understand mine as well.

I am just saying if the product becomes unusable then you have to move to one that does work. Yes Ramnode or BuyVM might be out of stock but there are plenty of other providers that offer just as nice of a level of service that are not out of stock.

Moving might be a pain but which is worse? Moving or watching your project go down in flames because the provider's service is broken?

• lumaluma Member

@AnthonySmith said: DO has a nested kernel and shit IO for what the claim is SSD so I can only assume it is seriously over sold and thus might as well be OpenVZ based.

If you use the right driver it works great. They just did not deploy this driver fully yet as they want to test it.

I am not defending them from having a broken portal but I give them kudos for the testing they do and not just implementing something willy nilly like most LEB providers would do.

If I recall correctly both my VPS' with you were two of the worse performing machines I ever had so you are not in a position to talk.

• LeeLee Veteran

I think DO has it's own market and as already stated above there is no other provider that I know of that let's you spin up VM's whenever you like for as long as you like with per hour billing as low as it is.

got a couple of project VM's there that I don't have time for right now so I snapshot them and destroy that VM, billing stops and I can spin it up later when I have time and continue. Ok they are charging for snapshot and backup space soon but it's still very reasonable.

Yes the Kernel setup is not ideal and the IO could be better however they allow virtually everything therefore IO will get hit quite badly depending on the Node. That said the IO has always been way in excess of acceptable in my use.

It still needs improvement in a few areas but more than anything, for the price you pay, the performance and service far exceeds many of the providers here.

• krypskryps Member

@AuroraZ Well, I use DO to quickly test things, for example to spin up a Couchbase cluster in seconds and then test it for a few hours. I could do this on AWS or Rackspace cloud as well but DO has (despite the problems) a much better bang for the buck so if the test becomes serious I can just keep it running at LEB level cost.

If I order some LEBs at another place I have to wait hours (on average) to get them set up and that is if they have stock. And I have to pay for at least a month even if I don't know if I need them for that long.

So what I am really looking for is a LEB provider beside DO offering the possibility to spin up instances in seconds, per-hour billing and reasonable prices.