Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new limitation on create IPv6 subnets at Online.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new limitation on create IPv6 subnets at Online.net

I want create some /64 IPv6 subnets at Online.net today, but it always show an error message "Error: Your quota is exhausted, you can't create a new subnet",

so I have sent a ticket, the staff replied me "If you need more subnet you need to order an IP failover. For understand, I invite you to read this documentation > https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/network/ipv6/split-subnet",

in this document, I found "In your account you can create as many /56 as you have servers, and as many /64 as you can have failover IPs.",

it's so strange, does it means if I have not order any IP failover, I can't create any/64 IPv6 subnets?

There are no such limitation before, have already created three /64 at last year.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

Comments

• What for do you need the /64? Why don't you route a /56?

• @UrDN said:
    What for do you need the /64? Why don't you route a /56?

yes, I know I can use /56, I just can't understand this limitation :(

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited October 2016

Because it is stupid to fill the routing table with /64 since it's the shortest prefix, you could not allocate it to another device. (Unless you want to violate standards)

• @UrDN said:
    Because it is stupid to fill the routing table with /64 since it's the shortest prefix you could not allocate it to another device.

It's obviously that Online.net doesn't for this, because they said that if you have IP failovers, you can create as many /64 as the IP failovers, perhaps they just want you buy ip failovers, lol

• I don't think they have "IPv6 Failover". Are you sure they told you that?

• @UrDN said:
    I don't think they have "IPv6 Failover". Are you sure they told you that?

they told me need order IPv4 failover, the documents also mentioned "In your account you can create as many /56 as you have servers, and as many /64 as you can have failover IPs.", so I think it's strange.

https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/network/ipv6/split-subnet

• In your account you can create as many /56 as you have servers, and as many /64 as you can have failover IPs.

That one is weird. But you should just route a /56 to your machine then use it as a router. That will also save you from using their dirty dhcp implementation.

Thanked by 2hotsnow vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

UrDN said: just route a /56 to your machine then use it as a router.

^ this. Perhaps they don't want people running 5 thousand VMs creating 5 thousand /64s in their system (putting load onto the DHCP server via constant renewal requests, not to mention all the required route updates). Just route a /56 to each server and handle it from there yourself.

Thanked by 2hotsnow vimalware
  • gattyttogattytto Member
    edited April 2017

the only change is that you can no longer allocate a /64 from the web panel, you can only direct a /56 to each server your account owns. This meaning that if you only own 1 dedi you can use the whole /48 to that one, OR get more (lots, lots of online dedis everywhere) and use a /56 inside of that /48 for each server.

As of now, I'm getting "IA_PD status code NoPrefixAvail: "No prefixes available for this interface." when I try to configure my proxmox with the assigned /56 and UUID as in https://documentation.online.net/en/dedicated-server/network/ipv6/prefix