Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated servers in Hong Kong
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated servers in Hong Kong

Hi all,

Do any of members have an experience in hosting websites for users in Mainland China. I am looking at Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan as locations outside the mainland. Is there any recommended provider and HK that the community recommends?

Aliyun and webhosts in mainland China are not an option due to ICP license.

Thanks!

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We are based in HK. What do you need?

• what is your server spec requirement and budget for hk server

• StackNetworkStackNetwork Member, Host Rep

PMed you ...

• I will rent a few dedicated servers; Xeons are fine.

Thanks @StackNetwork, replied back.

@mmtype,

What else do you need? How much bandwidth/data transfer, IPs, disk space, RAM etc do you need?

We have a large stock of Xeon servers including the following:

Xeon X3430
    Xeon E3-1220v2
    Xeon E3-1240v2
    Xeon E3-1230v3
    Xeon E3-1230v5
    Xeon E3-1240v5
    Xeon E3-1270v5
    Xeon E5-2670

RAM configuration can be anything from 8GB to 256GB (E3v2/v3 = Max 32GB, E3v5 = Max 64GB)

IPMI available on some models.

If you let us know your requirements can give you a quote.

• @randvegeta To start we may need 5 to start and 10-15 to scale. E3-1230v3, 8 GB RAM, 5-10Mbps bandwidth. Disk isn't terribly important, even a 64GB SSD is fine.

If possible, can you PM me a test IP and a 100MB test file?

Thanks!

• aliyun has hk location and it doesn't require icp license.

• @maoyipeng Yes, you are correct. Their HK location is an option but costlier for dedicated resources. Are they optimized for connections to mainland China or for international users?

• @mmtype said:
    @maoyipeng Yes, you are correct. Their HK location is an option but costlier for dedicated resources. Are they optimized for connections to mainland China or for international users?

Yes.they have direct peers to China.for example CN2,which is the best peer for ChinaTelecom.

They have another advantage.their HK vps provide big network speed to International customers,30Mbit/s.You know it is impossible for other providers to provide so big network speed.

I am in mainland,and my friend in USA bought a Aliyun International HK vps for me.Whatever speed and Ping both are very good!

I think it is the best choice for you

Thanked by 1vimalware

@mmtype,

Do you need 5 - 10Mbit dedicated or just 5 - 10Mbit speed is sufficient? What about estimated actual data transfer? I assume it is mostly China bound so you need/want direct routes?

• Dedicated servers is not better
    because bandwidth expensive, most dedicated servers in HK limit port just 3Mbps
    sometime tell you 10Mbps, it's fake.

HK bandwidth have 2 type,

1 only HK local

2 only International

if you want get 1Gbps port in HK local, cheap,
    but if international that's High prices

Recommended Use the Cloud
    the cloud have bug port
    E.g
    VR.org (1Gbps port , now only include 100G free bandwidth, over $0.35/GB )
    Rackspace (mini plan 200Mbps port, $0.12/GB)

Aliyun is not best, port limit 30Mbps and limit 2000G month bandwidth
    but note
    Aliyun 2000G bandwidth is offer, is just available December ending
    and it's chinese company, for data security i say you must notes.

i recommended work mode
    Main web site servers in Los Angeles USA.
    add second nginx reverse proxy servers in HK,
    it's just crawl LAX servers data and cache static file,

Ponit Domain
    use GEO CDN, like AWS DNS or Rage4
    if detect viewing in CHINA, give HK IP
    if not point USA
    you can add more like EU or ZA.......

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @randvegeta said:
    Do you need 5 - 10Mbit dedicated or just 5 - 10Mbit speed is sufficient? What about estimated actual data transfer?

This is required bandwidth, not the max speed.

I assume it is mostly China bound so you need/want direct routes?

90% traffic is China bound.

Thanks.

• Thanks for the note @notgod. For this particular use case, small latency is important. Anything that takes more than 100ms is a no go.

• @mmtype said:
    Thanks for the note @notgod. For this particular use case, small latency is important. Anything that takes more than 100ms is a no go.

not best network in china,
    that's network complexity and is the problem of China's internal network, not about international

maybe today you ping CN=>HK just 50ms, tomorrow ping over 200ms

VR.org is PCCW route, sometime is 50-100ms ,sometime timeout
    i use over 5 years

Rackspace is very better, always 50ms-60ms But some city can not access....

Azure Cloud HK, sometime over 500ms......

i testing most HK DC. not one can always stable,
    because that's problem in the internal network of china

so, i think you think more......

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @notgod Any other location in mind that is more consistent? Are Korea, Taiwan or Japan any good?

@mmtype,

I think there is nowhere that has consistent/stable connections to China. Taiwan and Japan do NOT have a good connection to China. Most will route via USA, HK or be on a highly congested line. I don't know about Korea but I doubt they will be any better.

HK has consistently had the best and most stable connections to China (as far as I am aware).

However, as @notgod has mentioned, there are significant problems with China's internal network that would make it practically impossible to maintain stable connections with low latency and high speed. This is true even if hosting IN SIDE CHINA. If you need low latency to specific cities, it would probably be best to host the server in those cities.

Ultimately, no matter who you are, or where you host, if you have a server hosted outside of China and you need guarantees availability TO CHINA, then you need to fork out quite a lot for dedicated China bandwidth, but this only gaurantees bandwidth TO CHINA, and not to specific points/locations in China itself.

• tamicrealotamicrealo Member
    edited October 2016

@mmtype said:
    @maoyipeng Yes, you are correct. Their HK location is an option but costlier for dedicated resources. Are they optimized for connections to mainland China or for international users?

I've been digging down, looking for good HK providers for quite a long time.

Aliyun internation has starter plan $8/month vps, which 2TB China optimized traffic are included. (was 200Mbit and now it decreased to 30Mbit due to $100/Mbit costs, and traffic is like $0.15/gb for Chinese buyers, IF YOU AINT CHINESE YOU GET 2TB FOR FREE)

NOTE: Aliyun HKB is the best route to mainland China you can get, don't bother to look for others on the matter of bandwidth. (others either have tiny tube, or high spiky 20% packets loss)

for HK node:
    Azure HK also has China optimized network, however that is as4134, known as CN1 (202.97.xx.xx), huge difference in the peak hour, you could experience more than 20% packet loss on CN1.

Shatin HK, is also great as4809 CN2 peering, however bandwidth is usually 10M, and you can buy bandwidth at $100/Mbit, only if on G port commitment.

LeaseWeb HK, is just like Azure HK, big bandwidth but huge packet loss to/from China, just MTR one of their HK node and showed 37% loss around 18:00PM

Aliyun HKB, has as4809 peering, which is known as CN2 (59.43.xx.xx), and that is "big" bandwidth 30M-200M, (I assume, Ma Yun the most rich man in China is doing charity on this price, cos the real price is way beyond $8 for vps and 2TB bandwidth).

Rackspace HK, also as4809 peering and G level connected, however its not as generous as Aliyun, NO FREE BANDWIDTH, its charging $0.15/gb on data and has a administrative fee each month.

And for other provider,
    maybe Dediserve HK, which only has direct connection with China Mobile, and bare in mind, only people like my grandma is using ISP from China Mobile, 85% ain't using that. Due to fewer demand on China Mobile bandwidth within China, its international bandwidth is just sufficient and the price is fair, I guess that's the only reason Dediserve HK has the China Mobile peering. (peer with China Telecom is at $100/Mbit)

there still are many good HK providers that I cannot name, BUT if anyone is looking for the best case on internet, I swear that's Aliyun, only answer.

Thanked by 2dediserve vimalware

tamicrealo said: (peer with China Telecom is at $100/Mbit

At what level of commitment can you get China bandwidth for $100 /mbit. My experience is more like HK$1,200 - $1,500 /Mbit which is more like $150 - $200 USD.

• @randvegeta said:

tamicrealo said: (peer with China Telecom is at $100/Mbit

At what level of commitment can you get China bandwidth for $100 /mbit. My experience is more like HK$1,200 - $1,500 /Mbit which is more like $150 - $200 USD.

should be at least 1000Mbit commitment, but I am not sure about that. should be within that range.

apologies on that if it misleads LETer

@tamicrealo,

That actually sounds about right. The quotes I had were from 50 - 100Mbit where at the higher end the price was HK$1,200 /mbit /month.

I dont know many hosting companies who can afford 1Gbit at a cost of over US$100,000 /month.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited October 2016

I'm curious, China is such a growing economy, lots of disposable income and they produce a lot of networking and computer electronics in-house, so why can't they better connect their country (itself between regions, and outside routes)?

• GigsGigsGigsGigs Member, Host Rep

There are many provider in Hong Kong . Hong Kong web hosting are very competitive . We have some server over there also

• tamicrealotamicrealo Member
    edited October 2016

@ManofServer said:
    I'm curious, China is such a growing economy, lots of disposable income and they produce a lot of networking and computer electronics in-house, so why can't they better connect their country (itself between regions, and outside routes)?

allow me briefly describe ISPs in China:
    within China, we have three main ISPs (ChinaTelecom ChinaUnicom ChinaMobile), and bandwidth is great within China.

ChinaTelecom: CT
    I pay $30/month to China Telecom and they provide
    1. stable 100Mbit network (100M download, 5M upload)
    2. IPtv (HD, probably 100 TV channels)
    3. 700mins calling to anyone in China+3gb mobile data
    4. and a Huawei mobile phone on first month signing contract

that's a pretty good deal eh?
    try to understand we got so many households in here, and each family could enjoy these 24x7 great service for just $30/month, and remember you could have engineers door-to-door service if you just complain online, they will come within 3working days...
    that's why 90% households select ChinaTelecom as our ISP in my area (east and south east of China)
    as huge amount of subscription, its international bandwidth isn't ready for these much users (and the Great Fire Wall qos during peak hour makes it even worse, QOS is squeezing some international bandwidth in order to provide stable network to enterprise/government or CN2 users)

the other day I tried to get CN2 from my ISP, and they offer me $1500/Mbit per month, then I hang up on them immediately.

ChinaUnicom: CU
    it's called ChinaNetcom a few years ago until ChinaUnicom took over it, it mainly is marketed at the north part of China, and with similar cheap monthly plan to households who live in the north part of China, same 100Mbit (200M 1000M plans this year) and other bundle things. it's just not as congested as ChinaTelecom when comes to the international bandwidth.

ChinaMobile: CM
    It's the first sim provider for mobile users and it has more than half of the mobile phone users in China, that's the only impression I have on it. No one has them as ISP until a few years ago.

oh wait, two of my grandma (on both parents' side), are using ISP from them, cos that's probably even cheaper, paying like $5.5/month.
    And grandma never browse content outside of China, I think "barely no one" is using the international bandwidth from ChinaMobile, that is why it still has sufficient international bandwidth and "cheap".

conclusion:
    great internet within China, kinda sux when it comes to international.
    try to use ChinaMobile? international is decent, local is like shit.

Those china telco charge local access cheap. But when global user want to access china network , it will be expensive . This is where CN2 expensive .

• great to see an different perspective on China's network. But I think china ISP is squeezing the international traffic due to "political" reasons, not because they could not keep up the demands. Generally the gov does not want normal people to "go out" too much, by intentionally deteriorating the browsing experience, they want to redirect the demand to domestic content providers, who are in total controlled by the gov.

sdjason said: squeezing the international traffic due to "political" reasons

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say they do it this way for the following reasons:

1.) They are probably subsidising their internal infrastructure from selling bandwidth to overseas ISP. By charging high to overseas ISPs, they don't need to charge much to local users.

2.) China, being the 2nd largest economy, and one of the fastest growing with the largest single market (in terms of population and growing number of internet users), many ISPs are more than happy to PAY to access such a user base. Again reaffirming the above point whereby internationals can subsidise local development. As time goes on, this will become more true.

3.) With poor international connectivity and tight regulation, it will encourage domestic development. It is a form of protectionism. Without reliable and stable access to the rest of the world's internet will mean demand for local solutions, and we now have Alibaba, Weibo, Baidu and a Didi and a whole bunch of other tech/internet companies that would otherwise have been dominated by their western counterparts had their been reliable access to those services.

Really it's all just the digital version of protectionism. Online tariffs, so to speak. But that's just my theory.

Thanked by 2thatix William
  • @mmtype said:
    @notgod Any other location in mind that is more consistent? Are Korea, Taiwan or Japan any good?

i sure not
    you can understand this (this is a metaphor)
    China broadband internet users grew 300% the last three years
    But China's international backbone network just growth of 30%

So this problem
    i know about some region

Japan, NTT not stable, because ntt route now gona USA ping 230ms, i have rack in NTT, KDDI Relatively good, but sometime peak periods (HK time 8:00PM-12:00PM ) Packet loss rate over 20%

Korean, KT/SK/LG just KT can used relatively good, SK ping 300ms sometime.
    but but but if large flow DDOS of CN => KR, you all servers lost.....
    1 month have 2-5times , last time have much china Game servers in Korean....

Taiwan/ Singapore/ Malaysia and more maybe you see that ping is min >100ms
    That useless

IN China Peak Periods (HK time 8:00PM-12:00PM )
    In the China local network , north to the south will be a huge network delay occurs

Don't Believe the CN2, it's now just joke
    sometime it's very slow, and it's just working China Telecom, not working other telecom company, like China Mobile and China Unicom

the CN2 price last i am try ask from japan NTT Datacenter
    Give us this price....

1 100M CN2 MRC $15000 NRC $2500

2 500M CN2 MRC $60000 NRC $2500

mini prepaid 2 months

Main thing in CN2 is China Telecom . And that is the most expensive ever bandwidth .

• Recommend to you www.dgchost.net very good, direct China! Chinese customer service communication is convenient

• randvegeta said: Taiwan and Japan do NOT have a good connection to China

They do (Chungwa co-finances cables between US/Asia and TW/CN with Telecom and TATA or so) but it costs even more than HK, as you said... HK is the best, simple by proximity and being the only reasonably connected countries right on the Chinese border.

If we go by absolute pure technicality you can cut 1-2ms via Macao as their most used/semi gov ISP (CTM) has much better access to China than most HK networks (most gamblers there are Chinese and use Chinese websites etc.) plus good external access (via HK and HKIX). Very, very expensive.

randvegeta said: However, as @notgod has mentioned, there are significant problems with China's internal network that would make it practically impossible to maintain stable connections with low latency and high speed. This is true even if hosting IN SIDE CHINA. If you need low latency to specific cities, it would probably be best to host the server in those cities.

Simple explained - have a look at the MASSIVE amounts of traffic going just cross country to Beijing and Shanghai with the large DC complexes (yea yea Tianjin, Chengdu...) and you see why ZTE/Huawei push for 100G+ development on long haul fiber.

This is further extended by the large size and only very few traffic exit points (similar to Russia) causing congestion on a few major routes/POPs.

tamicrealo said: it's just not as congested as ChinaTelecom when comes to the international bandwidth.

It is routed differently.

tamicrealo said: oh wait, two of my grandma (on both parents' side), are using ISP from them, cos that's probably even cheaper, paying like $5.5/month. And grandma never browse content outside of China, I think "barely no one" is using the international bandwidth from ChinaMobile, that is why it still has sufficient international bandwidth and "cheap".

No, the reason is CM ACTIVELY and FREELY peers outside of China, which makes obvious sense for their and our costs.

sdjason said: But I think china ISP is squeezing the international traffic due to "political" reasons, not because they could not keep up the demands

While true please look at the sheer numbers, if we assume 100 million online users at an average 0.1Mbit international speed usage (which is about 30G/mo int) this means they need to have a max capacity of 0.1*100000000 means divided by 1000 keeping 10000Gbit (10Tbit) available capacity....

randvegeta said: If I were to hazard a guess, I would say they do it this way for the following reasons:

Yea, pretty much 100% spot on.