Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16 years of uptime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

16 years of uptime

RuchirablogRuchirablog Member
edited March 2013 in General

^^
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1199529

Damn. Really feeling sad about taking it down :(

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Damn, that thing has been up more than I've been alive.

• @Infinity said: Damn, that thing has been up more than I've been alive.

For me, uh... let's see, 2013 minus 16.... I'd be 2 years old when it went online. :P

• Wow...

If people here were born after 1995...

I feel old.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I feel old.

+1, but 16 YEARS of uptime! Gosh, I don't even know how many providers here have 16 years of life, yet.

• FreekFreek Member

I salute this machine.

• wdqwdq Member

And I thought my system at home has been up for a long time. 93 days is nothing compared to 6000+ days.

• If people here were born after 1995...
    I feel old.

Ditto :s.

• Sign me up for the old cult :)

I have plenty of things I use around here that likely older than the average LET'er.

16 years solid uptime... Boy, unsure how they pulled that off. Hyper redundant power.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

105 days older than me.

Funny you mention this, as the website my dad made when I was born is still alive and kicking, meaning that the operator has transferred it multiple times, without the knowledge of my parents. Recently found it, and 20 odd pictures that my parents haven't seen in years.

• JacobJacob Member

Well, I'm older than the uptime, but impressive anyhow.

Still wondering how there has not been a power cut in the last 16 years.

• Amazing how the hardware could make it 16 years non-stop. Pentium I? Or even older?

• That thing's just under a year older than me... holy shit

• edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: If people here were born after 1995...

Thats how I feel about anyone born in the 90's, period.

I'm an 80's kid, but only by a couple years. But still '90s kids' just sound young. =]

Anywho: http://www.zq1.de/~bernhard/linux/counter/uptimestats-20090104.html 40+ years (14969.3 days), even if it is a bug in the 2.6.* kernel.

• @Jacob said: Still wondering how there has not been a power cut in the last 16 years.

On the second page of the linked thread:

This server is (was) in the data center of a large financial company backed by a central UPS system. It's in a major metro area with reliable power. I can recall two power outages of about an hour each, and some quick brown-outs. The facility can sail through this no problem. (It is within a block of a hospital, and this may be contribute to the priority of the power.) When I began work here in 2004, this system was completely orphaned. It was originally used as a file server for local administrative stuff. AFAIK, it has never had internet connectivity. IPX is the only protocol bound to the NICs. 

I was also curious.

• MannDude said "I'm an 80's kid, but only by a couple years. But still '90s kids' just sound young. =]"

"80's kid" just sounds young to me junior. :P

• @DomainBop said: "80's kid" just sounds young to me junior. :P

I wish I were a 60's or 70's kid. That seemed like an interesting time.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I was trying to think of the computer that has the longest uptime, and then suddenly it hit me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Going on 36 years.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

My uptime is 38 years and counting.
    :)

• @Infinity said: Damn, that thing has been up more than I've been alive.

Same here.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited March 2013

It really sounds like a car dragging its muffler now.

There is so much dust in the case you can't see any single component. It is like a bird's nest.

Crazy, haha.

Voyager 1

Well played @raindog308 :)

• IntcsIntcs Member

I've came to know a story of an XXXXXetc hours free of accidents , which was claimed as an amazing achievement by an industrial company, but a relative who worked there told me that just in his short career some accidents happened! And with one life-threatening (liquid gas dropped etc) and an employee got injured in it, but, for some reason their long-running stop watch didn't notice any of it and kept the record :\

That's why I'm unable to totally believe it, nor deny it :D except if it's confirmed by a 3rd party.

• tommytommy Member

@MikHo said: My uptime is 38 years and counting.

:)

time to shut it down ? ;)

amazing 16 years uptime

• @MikHo said: My uptime is 38 years and counting.

It's toooooooo long.

• Bringing up the lovely comic from the OP thread...

• xNEOxNEO Member

damn, I believe i was just at elementary school when this machine went online:)

• @peppr said: Bringing up the lovely comic from the OP thread...

I read that, and is SAD :(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@yomero said: I read that, and is SAD :(

is not sad... it is wall-e ! he will change his wheel dont worry :P

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

awesome uptime, how many time the system was updated / upgraded during 16 years? as I know that some updates require the system reboot.

• @WebProject said: awesome uptime, how many time the system was updated / upgraded during 16 years? as I know that some updates require the system reboot.

Just based off of the pictures in the thread showing "Netware v3.12" and "8/12/93"...not many, if any?

• earlearl Member

was looking forward to the pics of the server but does not seem to have been updated yet.