Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking for KVM virtual server with unlimited reinstall option.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking for KVM virtual server with unlimited reinstall option.

edited September 2016 in Requests

I'm doing a project for testing. I reinstall the operating system perhaps 100 times a day. Also I chose Ubuntu for example when ordering, then it should be able to change it. I install a different operating system. (CentOS, Debian etc.)

KVM virtualization

Minimum 1 GB dedicated RAM

1-2 CPU Cores (Minimum %50 dedicated)

Minimum 20 GB SSD (must be true!)

Minimum 2.5 TB bandwitdh

Minimum 100 Mbit/s port

1 IPv4

NO US LOCATIONS!

Budget: 650 ROUBLE/monthly :D

Payment method: credit/debit card.

American companies do not use PayPal.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

lowend_explorer said: I reinstall the operating system perhaps 100 times a day

any particular reason for it or just luck of managing the server?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2016

lowend_explorer said: I'm doing a project for testing. I reinstall the operating system perhaps 100 times a day. Also I chose Ubuntu for example when ordering, then it should be able to change it. I install a different operating system. (CentOS, Debian etc.)

No provider should have an issue with that for a VPS as it's all automated. Re-install 100 times a day though, that will take time, really don't understand the need..

DigitalOcean, Linode or Vultr are all in the right area for that kind of use but really so are plenty others.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited September 2016

Lee said: No provider should have an issue with that for a VPS as it's all automated. Re-install 100 times a day though, that will take time, really don't understand the need..

If you're developing some kind of automated deployment system (e.g., an ansible-type product) and it starts with distros as-shipped, and you want to test against multiple distros, debugging...I can see hundreds of times a day easy on a dev node. Not typical but not that bizarre.

Alternatively, the OP may be writing software and want to test it against many distros. Some would get multiple VPSes (or Virtualbox!), others would recycle the same one.

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2016

if you never used docker then do so now! you get a fresh env every time with in no time. if you do kernel drivers/hw or something i can't imagin then its a different story.

edit.... use vm's and take snapshots, revert to.

Thanked by 2Falzo exception0x876
  • lowend_explorer said: Budget: 650 ROUBLE/monthly :D

You are not at SearchEngines man, you know… Moreover Rouble is a currency in several countries: Russia, Belarus, Transnistria etc.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2016

@ehab said:
    if you never used docker then do so now! you get a fresh env every time with in no time. if you do kernel drivers/hw or something i can't imagin then its a different story.

edit.... use vm's and take snapshots, revert to.

Docker is more for app development is it not? Some things that are easy to do on a VM, like a LAMP stack, are kind of a PiTA to do with Docker last time I checked. Since OP wants to reinstall the OS and not just an app I am wondering if that is the right fit.

• @sman said:

when was the last time you checked? check again.

i know some use docker in production and you can look up http://hub.docker.com for many containers. i already saw LAMP. you can also create a base image and work from there different layers...

• smansman Member
    edited September 2016

@ehab said:

@sman said:

when was the last time you checked? check again.

i know some use docker in production and you can look up http://hub.docker.com for many containers. i already saw LAMP. you can also create a base image and work from there different layers...

It's been about a year. I just see individual apps in the containers section which is how it's always been. Swarm looks kind of interesting so I'll look into that a bit more. Still don't see Docker as an improvement over VM for production unless swarm simplifies clustering somehow.

Development is a different story.

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2016

VM : os + app <= 5GB

Docker : base os + app <= 1GB

consider costs, boot time, os overhead, managing etc ..

anyway, give docker a go again, you might become a true believer.

• lowend_explorer said: Budget: 650 ROUBLE/monthly :D

You're going to have trouble finding a provider with a platform that's really good at reinstalls (so not Solus) with 2.5+TB of bandwidth. If you can live with 2TB https://vscale.io/ is 400₽/month for 1GB. They're like a Russian DigitalOcean. Very competent.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2016

lowend_explorer said: I reinstall the operating system perhaps 100 times a day.

24h*60min=1400min/100times=14,4minutes. Even if you spend 24/7 reinstalling a vps, it won't let you do it 100 times, every install will take more than 15 minutes to complete!
    Apart from that (obviously told that in a manner of speaking) if docker/openvz is not a no (shared kernel etc.), then go with docker or openvz. You will save a lot of time. Or, if you really need kvm, then, almost all providers do have automatic installation systems. Some of them with pre-made templates, some of them using vnc.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

I can offer you a KVM VPS with NVMe disk space, high IOPS, affordable price.
    We use SolusVM, there are reinstall option, we do not limit reinstall's

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2016

jvnadr said: 24h*60min=1400min/100times=14,4minutes. Even if you spend 24/7 reinstalling a vps, it won't let you do it 100 times, every install will take more than 15 minutes to complete!

You get this idea from where? DO, right...?

I need:

• 1s to create the ZFS volume
    • 10s @ 500MB/s to copy the image on this ZFS volume
    • 5s for configuration of iSCSI and storage+server creation on Proxmox master via SSH
    • 60s to boot it up the first time (Debian, CentOS bit more, SUSE bit less)
    • ~120s for init script (network) with apt/yum/zypper updates + HDD resize
    • 30s to reboot

== 226s or ~4m (rounded up)

If you run a netinstall your system is broken by design.

Thanked by 1pbgben