Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which OS/Distros are the minimal set you expect from your provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which OS/Distros are the minimal set you expect from your provider?

qenoxqenox Member
edited December 2011 in General

Which OS/Distros are the minimal set you expect from your provider? CentOS, Debian, FreeBSD, which else do you think are essential and why?

Comments

• Some RHEL 6 variant. (CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc)

Thanked by 1qenox
  • For OpenVZ I'd say CentOS, Debian, Scientific Linux, and Ubuntu. If KVM/Xen, the same as OpenVZ + Arch Linux and FreeBSD.

Thanked by 1qenox
  • Thanks :) I hadn't used SL myself yet, but it looks good. The question was mainly related to KVM/Xen as I don't use OpenVZ myself.

• ubuntu 10.04 LTS or 11.10

debian 6 (NO 5)

sci linux

• Have to admit that I'm just looking for Debian 6 32bit now.

FreeBSD would be great but it's not expected.

• @drmike said: Have to admit that I'm just looking for Debian 6 32bit now.

FTW! The king of the distros :P

• @drmike, curious, why specifically 32 bit?

• @qenox said: @drmike, curious, why specifically 32 bit?

Most LEBs don't have enough RAM to need a 64 bit OS and32 bit usually uses less RAM.

Thanked by 1qenox
  • @dmmcintyre3 Ah, right, yeah, that makes total sense ;)

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

Debian 6. I don't need more :)

• Not all templates are created equal- Some are pure crap, other are good. Among the best i put KuJoe's SecureDragon templates. I use Debian 6 (squeeze), prefer minimal templates, but often i have to fix things (resolver, sources list, and many other things) even to be able to apt-get update and upgrade.

so Debian 6 using a good template.

• Latest stable version of Debian, as minimal as it can be made!
    Totally over RHEL family of distributions.

• We're offering the usual few, plus a few that are a bit more obscure, like owl, arch, and slack.

Here's a listing of our templates by usage: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As32z-WPfC-odExMYjctdEFDbDdkcExSWmlOYnVBRUE

As you can see, SuSE gets no love nowadays :)

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Most LEBs don't have enough RAM to need a 64 bit OS and32 bit usually uses less RAM.

Pretty much. We had a long thread on this on one of the older forums.

@Joel said: Latest stable version of Debian, as minimal as it can be made!

I just remove everything afterwards.

• I don't feel good about a provider when there isn't much of 32bit distros, and most of what they offer is being in 64 bit. And the most important OSes for me, is if they have Debian 5, Ubuntu 10 , and Centos 5 , and I mean the least for each OS, more distros doesn't hurt I guess.

• Debian, any version.

• Thanks, some good info here :) I think I'll focus some more of my time back on Debian

• @qenox said: Thanks, some good info here :) I think I'll focus some more of my time back on Debian

For LEB demographic it's basically debian/ubuntu MINIMAL 32bit and occasionally scientific linux, freebsd.

For cPanel/etc "normal people" it's centos/scientific linux either bit from what Ive seen

• @qenox said: Which OS/Distros are the minimal set you expect from your provider?

The one I want to use :)

• Debian 6 Minimal... only 34MB used up. Win. Yes 32-bit too.

• Slackware Minimal only 34 mb used. Also 32 bit.

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           238         34        204          0          5         12
    -/+ buffers/cache:         15        223
    Swap:          676          0        676

• @AuroraZ said: Slackware Minimal only 34 mb used. Also 32 bit.

And how much HDD this uses?

I can get a full LNMP with less than 350MB (Openvz)

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited December 2011

Just the base is anywhere from 170mb to 200mb. Depends on who installs it, and what version it is. The reason for the difference is some people don't include things like wget. network-tools, slackpkg, etc..... I do because you will definitely need some of them. You can't update Slack without slackpkg and it's dependencies so it makes sense to install it.

I would have to experiment and get back to you on the LNMP as I have not done it yet myself. Probably will not have the time to until after Christmas now lol.

I don't have an Openvz vps either. This is KVM.

• Debian and Centos... any comments? what jobs you cant do with these two?

• @Fatalia said: what jobs you cant do with these two?

Wash windows
    Do your laundry
    Mow your lawn
    Trim the hedges.

On a serious note, I have Debian installed on the netbook and I had issues installing stuff. Not any problems with the procedure but with on what repo server the packages were found on. Any package that doesn't fall into line with their "free" philosophy and gets shoved off onto a different server.

Not complaining about it. Just wasn't aware of how things were setup when I started with it as they don't seem to make much notice about it. Found things out when I couldn;t find vlc on their repo server and went google'ing.

• Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

• KuroKuro Member
    edited December 2011

@tux said: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

This.

Debian-kFreeBSD <3

• I like all the CentOS / Ubuntu / Debain / Suse OS Versions to be available and a few prebuilt templates such as gnome, cpanel, webmin.

• @tux said: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Wow, new stuff for me, sounds interesting, there are isos or something to install? I guess :P

• KuroKuro Member
    edited December 2011

@yomero you can find ISOs on Debian's website. It is basically just the standard Debian just with the FreeBSD kernel instead of the linux kernel. Kinda like FreeBSD with GNU system utilities and with the apt package manager instead of the ports system.