Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using a Raspberry Pi as a server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using a Raspberry Pi as a server

PebsiePebsie Member
edited March 2013 in General

Anyone tried it?
I am considering buying one and then testing it out for use as a webserver.

Comments

• Reminds me of EDIS

• @MikeIn said: Reminds me of EDIS

EDIS?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Pebsie said: EDIS?

Hosting company who offered free colocation for RPIs.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Please Google it, there are several posts about it.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited March 2013

It has 512mb of memory, I mean it's okay. I just find it a pain in the butt to work with. I couldn't find any decent templates. I'm in a love-hate relationship with my Pi.

Id personally buy a VPS and try your hand. Easier and you can upgrade too. Idk, give it a shot? It's only $35 I guess.

@Pebsie said: EDIS?

http://www.edis.at/en/server/colocation/austria/raspberrypi/

• Currently there is a dutch (also english speaking) company offering free Pi colocation with 500GB bandwith in Gyrocenter located in Amsterdam.

I'm still in doubt if I send my pi there or keep it :P

• FreekFreek Member

@taronyu said: I'm still in doubt if I send my pi there or keep it :P

Me too. I have 3 PIs. 2 of them are actually 'in use', one of them is still in the box so it might be a candidate.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited March 2013

Well if I got 2 I would have known it for sure. But because I only got 1 and on a tight budget it is hard haha

interrested in selling your 3rd cheap?

• pcanpcan Member

I wonder why noone is offering Raspberry Pi colocation or dedicated hosting in UK. Rapsberry Pi is maybe too slow to be a credible web server, but it could be a backup server; private data would not be on shared resources.

• Works great for me php-fpm, nginx, and APC.

• @Ishaq said: Hosting company who offered free colocation for RPIs.

Wow that's pretty cool, I had no idea.
    Free too! Pretty decent.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited March 2013

Without a KVM console or a way to auto cold-boot a Pi, it's a pretty time consuming server to support. You also have to build your own rack units, get the right amount of USB power to every Pi and so on. In short: unlikely you're going to make any money.

I still have one in EDIS DC but it's not working anymore, probably a hardware fault.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited March 2013

in wondering, the Pi doesnt got a power switch so what's gonna happen when you enter shutdown now.

• @taronyu said: in wondering, the Pi doesnt got a power switch so what's gonna happen when you enter shutdown now.

It just turns off.. you have to re-plug it in.

• @David_P said: It just turns off.. you have to re-plug it in.

A little bit aside
    I've been looking for a device capable to switch the power of an usb device via software
    Or at least, a simple power switch via software, and I will do the recabling for an usb device.
    Done that, reconnecting a pi should be easy :P lol

USB to rs232 with shift registers.... Easy

• I did some reading on this a while back and have seen some projects using it. There's actually a fair few small sites running via the PI. This device is fantastic and should deliver some nice progress in the coming years.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Only 512mb"

Dude, this is LET...

• @taronyu said: in wondering, the Pi doesnt got a power switch so what's gonna happen when you enter shutdown now.

It explodes. :)

• DashKillerDashKiller Member
    edited March 2013

Happy I sent (one of) my Pi to EDIS. Took quite a while to get set up, but all running smooth now. nginx/php-fpm ftw. Even have a little VNC running on it for some browsing and stuff. http://i.imgur.com/PZeRACR.png :)

@DashKiller 512mb raspberry, lucky guy :(

• FreekFreek Member

@taronyu said: interrested in selling your 3rd cheap?

Sorry no :(

• IntcsIntcs Member

@bdtech said: Works great for me php-fpm, nginx, and APC.

@DashKiller said: Happy I sent (one of) my Pi to EDIS. Took quite a while to get set up, but all running smooth now. nginx/php-fpm ftw. Even have a little VNC running on it for some browsing and stuff. http://i.imgur.com/PZeRACR.png :)

Looks great :) After all we are talking of something with performance in bar with some P4 servers! It might be in one point between ~1.5 Mhz P4 and a ~2.5 Mhz P4 server that some datacenters were/are still selling it in a "special price", you can run CPU performance test on a P4 server and on Pi , or it might have been done already by someone..

• Some benchmarks would be nice indead. Right now my pi at home doesn't feel "fast". More like useless slow.

• I'm thinking of buying one for XBMC, currently having my TV connected to my PC to watch movies
    Anyone here uses it for XBMC?

• @joodle use raspbmc or xbian and ur fine

• Yesterday decided to try out my pi with streaming movies. Xbmc is really easy because I can add my own page with all my movies from my vps. Because of some reason I had weird colors all over the movie. Still not sure what is the reason of that.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited April 2013

@taronyu said: Some benchmarks would be nice indead. Right now my pi at home doesn't feel "fast". More like useless slow.

Actually the ARM cpu it depends on isn't that modern nor it's that powerful as I've thought, but it got improvements over time, plus it's low cost and low power consumption are main advantages.
    I couldn't find benchmarks by a widely used CPU benchmarking test to compare it with Intel CPUs, but anyhow it doesn't look to have something special in terms of caching and bus speeds, but it can burst clock speed up to 1000 Mhz. Could be comparable to some of the first Intel Atom cpus, but I doubt it too.

Some details here:
    http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/arm1176.php?tab=Performance
    http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/arm1176.php?tab=Specifications

It would be really beneficial if anyone running it is able to post benchmarking results from unixbench or similar :)