Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates

Comments

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited November 2016

Last piece of feedback for OVH, sorry for being "spammy". So I got it running on the SSD 2 instance, and took a snapshot of that. I was then able to deploy other servers using the snapshot feature which is something that didn't work for me on Vultr. With Vultr I built my own ISO with the Virtio files installed and did a complete installation. It could be that on Vultr I put in the license code as part of the first install and had planned to use powershell to change the key for subsequent loads. But upon boot from the Vultr snapshot windows just went into repair mode. I haven't spent more time troubleshooting that.

With OVH I kept it in evaluation before taking the snapshot and didn't get the error when making new instances. So this saves a bunch of time deploying new instances. The cost to store that snapshot on OVH is super cheap on a monthly basis. Because of this I was then able to install some basic software without making the image too large to further increase the install speed.

The initial install, in BHS, was painful. Nothing to do with you however. At first I thought it was your server because the wget speeds were awful, sometimes dipping down to 1mbps or less. So I spun up a VM in BHS and put the file on it so I could wget within BHS. But the speeds were just as bad. So I think there is something within their infrastructure that causes the initial wget to be slow. The last little bit of downloading went down to 8kbs.

That is another reason that being able to use their snapshot feature is pretty great.

So my recommendation would be to install this on the smallest VM you think you will use and snapshot that, then deploy from snapshot moving forward.

I am sure you will get around to trying it for the official guide, but I just followed your Online.net guide, not sure its all needed, but it worked.

I picked the VM and location I wanted.
    I picked Ubuntu as the host OS.
    Set the VM to reboot into rescue mode using Ubuntu 14.04(I don't think this matters)
    sudo su
    sudo -i
    sudo wget command targeting vdb
    Set the VM to boot as normal
    Use the console to finish setting things up.(change PW, set firewall, etc)
    The network is DHCP so it loads immediately, no need to configure like DO.
    RDP in and away you go.

Thanks again for your work on this.

• @Hadriel said:
    Last piece of feedback for OVH, sorry for being "spammy". So I got it running on the SSD 2 instance, and took a snapshot of that. I was then able to deploy other servers using the snapshot feature which is something that didn't work for me on Vultr. With Vultr I built my own ISO with the Virtio files installed and did a complete installation. It could be that on Vultr I put in the license code as part of the first install and had planned to use powershell to change the key for subsequent loads. But upon boot from the Vultr snapshot windows just went into repair mode. I haven't spent more time troubleshooting that.

With OVH I kept it in evaluation before taking the snapshot and didn't get the error when making new instances. So this saves a bunch of time deploying new instances. The cost to store that snapshot on OVH is super cheap on a monthly basis. Because of this I was then able to install some basic software without making the image too large to further increase the install speed.

The initial install, in BHS, was painful. Nothing to do with you however. At first I thought it was your server because the wget speeds were awful, sometimes dipping down to 1mbps or less. So I spun up a VM in BHS and put the file on it so I could wget within BHS. But the speeds were just as bad. So I think there is something within their infrastructure that causes the initial wget to be slow. The last little bit of downloading went down to 8kbs.

That is another reason that being able to use their snapshot feature is pretty great.

So my recommendation would be to install this on the smallest VM you think you will use and snapshot that, then deploy from snapshot moving forward.

I am sure you will get around to trying it for the official guide, but I just followed your Online.net guide, not sure its all needed, but it worked.

I picked the VM and location I wanted.
    I picked Ubuntu as the host OS.
    Set the VM to reboot into rescue mode using Ubuntu 14.04(I don't think this matters)
    sudo su
    sudo -i
    sudo wget command targeting vdb
    Set the VM to boot as normal
    Use the console to finish setting things up.(change PW, set firewall, etc)
    The network is DHCP so it loads immediately, no need to configure like DO.
    RDP in and away you go.

Thanks again for your work on this.

Awesome feedback!

The download speeds are heavily influenced by the CPU & IO of the machine/VM you are dropping the image onto as the image is not only gzipped, but it also is being dropped onto the disk block by block.

So a lot more is going on behind the scenes than just wget grabbing the image.

I greatly appreciate your feedback, it helps a lot when building the images; it saves me a lot of time and money.

• Windows 10 Enterprise Eval has now been added to the beta folder.

Enjoy!

• You're welcome!

• Just installed in a KS-4C. Thanks for the templates.

• @Luke007 said:
    Just installed in a KS-4C. Thanks for the templates.

You're welcome!

• Thanks for sharing this info with us. It's useful.

• @Streamer said:
    Thanks for sharing this info with us. It's useful.

You're welcome!

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Streamer said:

You're welcome!

Does this templates work on Whole sale internet

• @simonindia said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Streamer said:

You're welcome!

Does this templates work on Whole sale internet

Unfortunately I have never tried on their servers, however if you can boot to a live Linux disk or rescue mode you should be able to install without issue.

To that end, the template uses DHCP by default to grab an IP address, does wsi use DHCP?

If not, you will need KVM access either way to manually bind your IP address.

• Just used Windows Server 2016 Trial on 2 Kimsufi KS-3

Worked great on both....Thank you for your hard work making this available.

Windows 10 Pro would be awesome if you ever get the time...Thanks again

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited November 2016

I can give you my server if wanna try If you have some free time

but thanks for all this work @IHaveADarkPassenger

• @acidpuke said:
    Just used Windows Server 2016 Trial on 2 Kimsufi KS-3

Worked great on both....Thank you for your hard work making this available.

Windows 10 Pro would be awesome if you ever get the time...Thanks again

You're welcome!

Any reason you are looking for Windows 10 Pro as opposed to Windows 10 Enterprise (Enterprise is already available)?

@simonindia said:

Thank you very much for the offer, however before I proceed it would be good to know if they use DHCP to assign IPs to their dedicated servers and if they have a rescue mode/ability to boot live Linux iso.

• @simonindia said:

Thank you very much for the offer, however before I proceed it would be good to know if they use DHCP to assign IPs to their dedicated servers and if they have a rescue mode/ability to boot live Linux iso.

They have a rescue mode with System rescue and GRML

For the DHCP I don't know about that will create an support ticket

• @simonindia said:

@simonindia said:

They have a rescue mode with System rescue and GRML

For the DHCP I don't know about that will create an support ticket

Awesome!

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: You're welcome!

Any reason you are looking for Windows 10 Pro as opposed to Windows 10 Enterprise (Enterprise is already available)?

Windows 10 Pro is cheaper to buy lic for and easier to get.

• simonindia said: Does this templates work on Whole sale internet

I read somewhere in LET someone posted this link:

http://notfor.pro/post/install-windows-on-any-server-using-rescue-system-and-qemu-kvm

• @vdedi said:

simonindia said: Does this templates work on Whole sale internet

I read somewhere in LET someone posted this link:

http://notfor.pro/post/install-windows-on-any-server-using-rescue-system-and-qemu-kvm

That article notes WSI uses a static IP address :(

• wjtwjt Member
    edited November 2016

Win 7 may be getting obsolete, but it's still one of the best win OS in terms of stability to date. I've had nothing but headache getting win 10 to work without a flaw every once in awhile. It's incompatible with a plethora of hardware devices due to the drivers not updated (despite the manufacturer claiming it works) and i have several disconnections in a day (in my home pc).

Apart from that, they constantly push out updates and force it to update and reboot. That's the last thing you want happen on any server. Of course you can set up a bunch of rules to stop the updates from happening, but that's unnecessary hassle.

And the 3rd thing, is they used up more resources than is needed. Tested on a 1gb ram VPS (server OS equivalent to 7, 8.1, 10 anyway)

On boot:

2008 - 500MB

2012 - 600MB

2016 - 800MB

2016 will keep doing it's thing running a bunch of task godknowswhat before i can properly use it.

As earlier mentioned, win7 pro can still be obtained from reddit at a much lower cost.

• wjt said: Apart from that, they constantly push out updates and force it to update and reboot. That's the last thing you want happen on any server. Of course you can set up a bunch of rules to stop the updates from happening, but that's unnecessary hassle.

sorry but what kind of idiot would install a home OS on a server anyway?

• wjtwjt Member
    edited November 2016

TarZZ92 said: idiot

So anyone who runs a home os on a server is called an idiot? How bout you go and PM everyone on LET and say "hey idiot"? Because everyone runs something stupid on a server /anyway/. You can even say, who runs windows on a server anyway? Maybe extend that and create a script so you can PM everyone on the net and say "idiot" whenever there's someone that you think is an idiot.

Not only are you not contributing to anything on LET, you even troll around in a non troll section. Why are you even still monitoring this thread anyway? You looking for free candy? Like has he created a scaleway template so you can suck on it?

• Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the delay on the DigitalOcean guide, unfortunately I ran out of personal time to complete it until today.

Link: https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-onto-digitalocean-droplet/

Please do let me know if you have any feedback.

• wjt said: So anyone who runs a home os on a server is called an idiot?

Yes. basically..

• Could this be used as a reinstall method too?

• @vladka24 said:
    Could this be used as a reinstall method too?

Yes, absolutely!

To reinstall just start at step #1 and go through the guide as if you had any other os already installed.

• Are the templates gone for now? :o

• @smallbibi said:
    Are the templates gone for now? :o

All templates are still 100% available - www.whatuptime.com --> Choose the Guide you Need --> Links in the Guide

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited November 2016

Ahh thanks, I tried using the links in the original post which are dead now. I'll report back soon after trying to install windows on my KS-3C :)