Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates

Comments

• @mehargags: You can reboot the server from the start menu too in a RDP session. And I'm not sure if just closing the RDP window logs you out automatically from the server.

• @saibal, The option to Shutdown from Start Menu was removed in Server 2012 and Win8.1/Win10 probably to counter accidental shutdowns. I presumed he is on one of the newer Windows.

@jackpison, can you state if it reboots when you close the RDP window ?

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited October 2016

mehargags said: The option to Shutdown from Start Menu was removed in Server 2012

It's still available in Windows Server 2012 R2 (on RDP)

• @saibal, Agree, I stand corrected.
    I never used (or bothered) to use the Tiled menu and 2-3 RDPs that I have none of them show Shut Down in the menu of StartisBack

• @mehargags: I think this applies only to Windows 10/8.1. Not the server versions. StartisBack should also show the restart/shutdown options if its shown by the normal Windows Server UI.

• SgrocksSgrocks Member
    edited October 2016

@saibal @mehargags @IHaveADarkPassenger

sorry for no reply, viral fever can't do much
    It's fixed now thanks to Google

there seems to be issue with Group Policy and windows updates
    It's the Windows 10 template and updates getting installed after turning it off in group policy

Found the below settings on one of site and it seems to be worked

The Fix for me
    Load the Group Policy Object Editor snapin. It will be targeting the Local Computer.

Drill down to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Session Time Limits

Verify that the setting "Set time limit for disconnected sessions" is either Not Configured, or Enabled, but with a setting of Never.

for question on how i close it and what's the actual problem
    It's a RDP session in windows so closing is simple via clicking that x button
    and the problem i am facing is whenever i click that close button server/windows seems to reboot itself, how did i found out? well none of my applications running and only startup programs & i tried connecting again in 10 seconds after closing the rdp session and not able to connect.

• @jackpison said:
    @saibal @mehargags @IHaveADarkPassenger

sorry for no reply, viral fever can't do much
    It's fixed now thanks to Google

there seems to be issue with Group Policy and windows updates
    It's the Windows 10 template and updates getting installed after turning it off in group policy

Found the below settings on one of site and it seems to be worked

The Fix for me
    Load the Group Policy Object Editor snapin. It will be targeting the Local Computer.

Drill down to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Session Time Limits

Verify that the setting "Set time limit for disconnected sessions" is either Not Configured, or Enabled, but with a setting of Never.

for question on how i close it and what's the actual problem
    It's a RDP session in windows so closing is simple via clicking that x button
    and the problem i am facing is whenever i click that close button server/windows seems to reboot itself, how did i found out? well none of my applications running and only startup programs & i tried connecting again in 10 seconds after closing the rdp session and not able to connect.

Honestly the issue you are facing has to be something specific to either the software you are running on your server or your poor connection to your server.

I have re-installed each of the Windows 10 templates multiple times today and I cannot replicate any issues with the server restarting when disconnecting from RDP. Once I disconnect from RDP I can immediately reconnect without any issues.

Are you certain Windows updates aren't running and rebooting as needed? As noted in this thread and on my site the templates will need to run Windows updates once installed as the templates never touched the internet until they are installed on a server/system by the end user as such only the base updates included with Microsoft ISO's are included.

• @jackpison: I guess the RDP timeout setting is set only in Windows 10/8.1 and other user versions. The server versions default to Not configured/Never. I have never had to change the RDP timeout values in the group policy editor for servers.

Also, make sure the computer is not going to sleep. The default interval before Windows goes to sleep is 10 minutes in user versions. Its probably set in the Server versions as well. RDP won't work if the machine goes to sleep.

As far as closing RDP sessions, its always better to logout/disconnect (from the start menu or with a batch command) rather than just closing the RDP window (clicking on the X). There used to be a nasty RDP session bug (from Server 2003/2008) that let another user access the desktop if the previous RDP session was not disconnected or logged out properly. I'm not sure if that bug has been patched on the more modern server/user Windows versions.

• @saibal said:
    @jackpison: I guess the RDP timeout setting is set only in Windows 10/8.1 and other user versions. The server versions default to Not configured/Never. I have never had to change the RDP timeout values in the group policy editor for servers.

Also, make sure the computer is not going to sleep. The default interval before Windows goes to sleep is 10 minutes in user versions. Its probably set in the Server versions as well. RDP won't work if the machine goes to sleep.

As far as closing RDP sessions, its always better to logout/disconnect (from the start menu or with a batch command) rather than just closing the RDP window (clicking on the X). There used to be a nasty RDP session bug (from Server 2003/2008) that let another user access the desktop if the previous RDP session was not disconnected or logged out properly. I'm not sure if that bug has been patched on the more modern server/user Windows versions.

That wasn't a bug, its quite literally a feature and one I have used heavily especially if you need to split work loads among multiple desktops..kind of like many Linux distros have be default in their GUI environments.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger: Ah, I see. But if the RDP session is accidentally disconnected, does that mean that anyone can login until someone logs out of the session properly?

• @saibal said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger: Ah, I see. But if the RDP session is accidentally disconnected, does that mean that anyone can login until someone logs out of the session properly?

Yes and No.

Unless permissions have been modified regular users shouldn't be able to access another users session as that session doesn't belong to them..no permission to access it.

An Administrator can access any session and can even kick the user of the session off and take control should they desire.

Task --> Manager --> Users --> Right Click

This is also handy if your RDP connection gets disconnected and you get a new session when you reconnect. You can use the task manager to connect to your previous session and continue on where you were. This is less of an issue with newer OS's, 2003/2008 (non R2) were a pain in the ass in this regard hence the "/console" switch when using an Administrator account and connecting via RDP.

Thanked by 1saibal
  • Right. Admin rights :-) Thanks for the detailed explanation.

• @saibal said:
    Right. Admin rights :-) Thanks for the detailed explanation.

You're welcome!

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Guys,

I have played around with Scaleway a bit this evening and I don't believe there is going to be anyway to get anything working on the systems there beyond the OS's they offer.

Personally, I don't think I would use their service for much of anything, its too much of a complete cluster fuck IMO.

To that end, you can't even load your own Kernel..https://www.scaleway.com/docs/how-your-kernel-works/

• How about using grub to boot windows server on scaleway

http://askubuntu.com/questions/661947/add-windows-10-to-grub-os-list

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    How about using grub to boot windows server on scaleway

http://askubuntu.com/questions/661947/add-windows-10-to-grub-os-list

I am quite positive that won't work at all unfortunately, the boot process is controlled outside the virtual machine itself as such you either boot the OS installed from their panel or it fails to boot. Once it fails, it basically just shut the machine off.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger: so Win7 Pro template is not possible? Thanks for your answer

• @Smplace said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger: so Win7 Pro template is not possible? Thanks for your answer

I haven't tried to create a template for Windows 7, I did take a quick whack at 2008 R2 but didn't spend much time trying to get it working. As each are both getting rather old at this stage I concentrated on getting the new OS's ready to go.

Thanked by 1Smplace
  • ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

You may experience a brief hiccup when pulling from the DC2 (Online.net) mirror as I am presently migrating it to another machine as I consolidate machines.

The server for the new mirror is still in DC2, just on another physical machine with Online.net.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016
  • Is that running on the DO droplet?

It would be amazing if you can get this to run on OVH Public Cloud as well!

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

@Hadriel said:
    Is that running on the DO droplet?

It would be amazing if you can get this to run on OVH Public Cloud as well!

Indeed, on the smallest droplet size as well.

As to OVH, the "beta" templates being built should run on their VPS & Cloud options as the beta templates have corrected the errors with the VirtIO drivers packaged in the original templates.

You can read more here - http://www.whatuptime.com/

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

The initial templates for Microsoft Server 2016 Evaluation have now been added to the beta folder, enjoy!

The templates in the beta folder include support for KVM/Qemu based virtual machines, including Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, etc.

More discussed here too - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1917326/#Comment_1917326

• Used the 2012 image to load it on OVH's public cloud instance. I started with the 7GB ram one because I needed that first. Pretty slick, thanks for your hard work.

• @Hadriel said:
    Used the 2012 image to load it on OVH's public cloud instance. I started with the 7GB ram one because I needed that first. Pretty slick, thanks for your hard work.

You're welcome!

Did you use one of the new beta templates or one of the regular ones?

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited November 2016

2012.R2.STD.x64.EVAL.US-English.gz in the beta folder.

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: The templates in the beta folder include support for KVM/Qemu based virtual machines, including Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, etc.

have you checked this does not violate DO's terms maybe @jarland can confirm?

• @TarZZ92 said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: The templates in the beta folder include support for KVM/Qemu based virtual machines, including Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, etc.

have you checked this does not violate DO's terms maybe @jarland can confirm?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1917884/#Comment_1917884

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited November 2016

I also deployed on a OVH Public cloud SSD 2 and 3 without issue. Thanks again.

• @Hadriel said:
    2012.R2.STD.x64.EVAL.US-English.gz in the beta folder.

Excellent, thank you.

@Hadriel said:
    I also deployed on a OVH Public cloud SSD 2 and 3 without issue. Thanks again.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the feedback!