Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedibox XC/SC 2016 Windows Templates

Comments

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

This should help put it in perspective...

KzyPmp.png

• I am pleased to share I now have Windows Server 2016 and 2012 R2 working on Kimsufi I3/I5 servers. I am working to cleanup the templates and will be adding them to the mirrors over the next couple of days.

I will also be working on Windows 10 as well, it should be working properly too.

Once the new templates have been added all Kimsufi servers should be working properly. The only one which may not be working is the N2800 Atoms which have Realtek NIC's, but I don't have access to one to confirm either way.

• Need windows server2012R2 180 days trial version, if you can please include virtio etc, ill pay you with bitcoin.

• @sweatbar said:
    Need windows server2012R2 180 days trial version, if you can please include virtio etc, ill pay you with bitcoin.

That shouldn't be an issue at all.

I assume you are planning to use it with SolusVM or another panel?

• Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Evaluation templates have now been rebuilt to includes all the necessary drivers for Kimsufi (Intel & RealTEK NICs), Online.net Personal Range and KVM's virtIO.

Standard - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-server-2016-standard-evaluation-x64-online-net-personal-range-xc-2016-sc-2016/

Datacenter - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-server-2016-datacenter-evaluation-x64-online-net-personal-range-xc-2016-sc-2016/

Windows 10 & 2012 R2 templates will be ready by the end of the weekend.

• I love the templates!
    @IHaveADarkPassenger But I have to ask, why should we trust you haven't put anything 'extra' into the image? You know sneak in a backdoor, bot, or bitcoin miner?
    Is anyone actually using these on a production machine?
    Not having a go, just curious as to how we could 'prove' the image is clean, like via "SFC /scannow" or something?

• @bohdans said:
    I love the templates!
    @IHaveADarkPassenger But I have to ask, why should we trust you haven't put anything 'extra' into the image? You know sneak in a backdoor, bot, or bitcoin miner?
    Is anyone actually using these on a production machine?
    Not having a go, just curious as to how we could 'prove' the image is clean, like via "SFC /scannow" or something?

Honestly, I completely understand and if I hadn't created the images myself I would certainly be a little apprehensive about using them.

That said, I can assure you I haven't done anything to the templates other than a few basic changes to allow compatibility and improve performance.

In short this is how I am building them.

Tools/Setup:

-Hyper-V on Windows 10

-Hyper-V "Internal" network (The VM & image never touches the internet until they are booted on the server when the end user "installs" it. Reason being I have been building the images on a XC 2016 with Online.net and I only have one IP address.)

-Ubuntu 16 Hyper-V VM for SSFS Storage

-Fedora Live CD

Process

1) Install Windows into the Hyper-V VM

2) Enable RDP

3) Allow RDP through Windows Firewall

4) Power Options --> High Performance

5) Change Network Name --> WhatUpTime-com

6) Advanced System Settings --> Performance

7) Password --> P@ssword64

8) Server Manager --> Do Not Launch on Login

9) Disable System Protection

10) Disable Screensaver & Set Screen to never shut off

11) Enable File Extensions

12) Clear Action Center

13) Reboot Temporarily Disable Driver Signing Enforcement

14) Install all applicable drivers (Getting all the drivers together and finding the right drivers was the biggest bitch...lots of trial and error since you can't troubleshoot live)

15) Shutdown

16) Boot Live CD

17) Cleanup Logs

18) Delete pagefile.sys (It gets automatically recreated on boot)

19) Grab Image

20) Upload image to the two mirrors

--

As to how you can verify the images haven't been molested; I honestly don't know how you could really do that. I guess installing a anti-virus like NOD32 and scanning would certainly be a good step forward, but there would always be a risk.

Thanked by 3bohdans MikePT erkin
  • @IHaveADarkPassenger Thank you! that is a lot better response than I was expecting, with lots of detail. It's nice to know the process and changes you made.

• @bohdans said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger Thank you! that is a lot better response than I was expecting, with lots of detail. It's nice to know the process and changes you made.

You're welcome!

I plan to write a guide on how to build the templates as well, but it will be a while before I have the time to really sit down and write it all up. While creating the templates doesn't take too long (~2 hours from start to finish, including gzip time, per template), the guide will likely be huge to say the least.

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@bohdans said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger Thank you! that is a lot better response than I was expecting, with lots of detail. It's nice to know the process and changes you made.

You're welcome!

I plan to write a guide on how to build the templates as well, but it will be a while before I have the time to really sit down and write it all up. While creating the templates doesn't take too long (~2 hours from start to finish, including gzip time, per template), the guide will likely be huge to say the least.

You is making a great job. Keep the good job.

Thanks very much!

• @mtsbatalha said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@bohdans said:

You're welcome!

You is making a great job. Keep the good job.

Thanks very much!

You're welcome!

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

A better idea would be to record a screen video with you speaking in between which makes it fast for you. Once done, I can get it Transcript-ed as a I have a team of tech-writers. Then will send it over to you so you can publish. You can then have text + Video version of the tut!

Let me know if this suits you, I can get it done for you.

• Are I'm wrong or is Server 2016 only at RTM, but still not on MSDN so not complete yet.

• Server 2016 is out of RTM and 180 day evaluations are available on Microsoft's site for download:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

I think the images are based on these evaluation versions.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @mehargags said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

A better idea would be to record a screen video with you speaking in between which makes it fast for you. Once done, I can get it Transcript-ed as a I have a team of tech-writers. Then will send it over to you so you can publish. You can then have text + Video version of the tut!

Let me know if this suits you, I can get it done for you.

I will keep it in mind, thank you!

@saibal said:
    Server 2016 is out of RTM and 180 day evaluations are available on Microsoft's site for download:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

I think the images are based on these evaluation versions.

Correct, the Server 2016 templates are based on the 180 day evaluation. Once I can get my hands on a volume license iso (hint hint everyone!) I will build those templates as well.

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: Correct, the Server 2016 templates are based on the 180 day evaluation. Once I can get my hands on a volume license iso (hint hint everyone!) I will build those templates as well.

That will be braking the forum rules. You can't link to warez or pirated versions, etc a volume license.

• @myhken said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Correct, the Server 2016 templates are based on the 180 day evaluation. Once I can get my hands on a volume license iso (hint hint everyone!) I will build those templates as well.

That will be braking the forum rules. You can't link to warez or pirated versions, etc a volume license.

/facepalm

• Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 templates are now rebuilt and ready!

Standard - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-server-2012-r2-standard-x64-online-net-personal-range-xc-2016-sc-2016/

Datacenter - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-server-2012-r2-datacenter-x64-online-net-personal-range-xc-2016-sc-2016/

As with the Microsoft Windows Server 2016 these templates are now compatible with Kimsufi servers.

Windows 10 is on the chopping block next and should be done this weekend.

Enjoy!

• is it the new 2016 LTSB ISO released this month ? Just want to be sure. Can you share the source ISO's name and hash. Here is the info

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB (x64) - DVD (English)
    ISO name : en_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_x64_dvd_9059483.iso
    SHA1       : 031ED6ACDC47B8F582C781B039F501D83997A1CF

• @mehargags said:

is it the new 2016 LTSB ISO released this month ? Just want to be sure. Can you share the source ISO's name and hash. Here is the info

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB (x64) - DVD (English)
    ISO name : en_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_x64_dvd_9059483.iso
    SHA1       : 031ED6ACDC47B8F582C781B039F501D83997A1CF

It was built on Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB (x64), unfortunately I do not have access to the 2016 version at this time.

• I am actively rebuilding the Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB VL template as I now have a legitimate copy of the 2016 version ISO.

A special thanks to a user whom has provided the ISO.

• Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB VL has been rebuilt and mirrors updated.

Enjoy!

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Guys,

I have completed rebuilding all of the templates and compatibility has been increased to include pretty much all intel based dedicated servers, KVM virtual machines (VPS) and Hyper-V virtual machines (VPS).

Known supported systems:

• Hyper-V (Network Adapter & Legacy Network Adapter)
    • KVM Virtual Machines (Including Intel, RealTEK & VirtIO drivers)
    • Online.net Personal Range & Regular Intel Dedicated Servers
    • Kimsufi Dedicated Servers (All variations)
    • OVH Intel Dedicated Servers (All variations)
    • SoYouStart Intel Dedicated Servers (All variations)

That said, in theory the templates should work on pretty much any Intel based computer including desktop systems and server systems. In addition the templates should work well in many cloud environments assuming they are using Hyper-V or KVM [Vultr, Linode, Digital Ocean, OVH (Cloud & VPS) etc.].

In the next few weeks I plan to beginning testing against Scaleway, however I will be taking a bit of a break as I have spent a ton of time on these templates over the last couple of weeks (Easily 20-30 hours, likely more).

Additional guides are also planned and should be published on www.whatuptime.com in the coming weeks.

Should you run into any issues, please send a PM on here and drop a line on my website (www.whatuptime.com).

Enjoy!

• Hi, Thanks for the nice templates
    I am getting one issue now
    whenever i close the rdp session server restarts automatically

any fix will be welcome

• @jackpison said:
    Hi, Thanks for the nice templates
    I am getting one issue now
    whenever i close the rdp session server restarts automatically

any fix will be welcome

Unfortunately you haven't provided enough information for any of us to provide assistance.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2016

@IHaveADarkPassenger,

Can you check if CloneZilla or other bootable drive imaging works fine on XC 2016?
    thanks

• @jackpison: How are you closing the RDP session? Are you logging out or just closing the RDP window?

• @mehargags said:
    @IHaveADarkPassenger,

Can you check if CloneZilla or other bootable drive imaging works fine on XC 2016?
    thanks

I haven't worked with CloneZilla at all to date I don't believe, so it would be a whole new "project" in itself. I will see if I can look into it this weekend, no promises though..sorry!

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2016

sure> @saibal said:

@jackpison: How are you closing the RDP session? Are you logging out or just closing the RDP window?

both mean the same, either way you cannot reboot a server from RDP.
    To reboot you'd explicitly goto RUN -> shutdown /r /t 0