Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH + ESXi + PfSense + IPv6 to VM's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH + ESXi + PfSense + IPv6 to VM's

Hi,

I've tried literally everything I can to get IPv6 working on the VM's I have passing traffic through PfSense. I've setup the NAT rule to allow IPv6 traffic to pass through and all, also PfSense is being used as a IPv6 DHCP with RA but this doesn't work too.

I could ping out too ipv6.google.com at one point but now can't do that too... I've assigned the first IP of the range xxxxx::1 to my ESXi management.

Can anyone help, proper stuck as IPv6 is a whole new ball game compared to IPv4.

PH

Comments

• Anyone?

• Ipv6 on OVH is a pain in the backside, I got it working on proxmox but I had to proxyarp for each of the VM's I wanted an IPv6 for.

• Seriously... For every single one... I have like 18 vms and more coming...

• Yep, bit like that stupid MAC registration thing they do for IPv4, which thankfully is not required on Vrack, sadly IPv6 not available on Vrack as far as I know.

• There should be a better way of doing this, I'm using PfSense as a Virtual Firewall. I'm guessing that could handle it all, but unsure how to go around it... It's seriously powerful but fricking hard to get it working the way you want!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2016

PirateHitman said: Seriously... For every single one... I have like 18 vms and more coming...

You can run ndppd and it can proxy NDP for entire ranges.

If you want some actual help why don't you stop whining and instead post your actual details of what is your current setup (with routes, IPs, bridges), what currently works, what doesn't, etc.

• Whining? Who's whining? I'm happy to show whatever you need (Happy to do a remote session / send config too) to get this working.

Setup is simple right now, IPv4 network-wise. Got a failover IP for the pfSense box, the main IP and xxxxx:1 of IPv6 points to my management ESXI bit.

Nothing for IPv6 has been setup right now, setup that is needed or if possible is automatic DHCPv6 type of setup where the VM's can get IP's and I can lease, release as neccessary.

I've tried setting it up myself in various configurations, so static IP's on the boxes itself and assigning a IP from the IPv6 pool to my WAN interface (Basically like how you would with a IPv4 config) and making up a internal IP for the LAN interface. This way I was able to get the firewall to ping to IPv6 gateway and beyond, VM's though couldn't. NAT was setup correctly with no traffic blocked on IPv6 routes and all traffic being passed through. Pretty much setup a IPv6 * to * rule.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

s/proxyarp/proxyndp

Thanked by 1rm_
  • It's really is a stupid setup, and rather limiting, I'm sure OVH would throw a fit If I tried to Proxy ARP/NDP for a few thousand IP's yet they stupidly made it a bridged setup that requires this.