Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modulegarden Open source licence what a joke
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Modulegarden Open source licence what a joke

CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
edited September 2016 in General

I was considering buying a module garden open source licence for a provisioning module and I was shocked by the number of restrictions they place on it. I can understand then saying you can't openly share the code but it also say :

• you can only use it on one site
  • you can't change the code without their permission
    What is the point of an open source licence if all I can do is look at the wonderful code they have written but I can't bend it for my own needs?

Anyone actually bought a licence from them?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Curious, do you have a link to their "open-source license"? From the sounds of it, that isn't open-source at all, and it violates quite a few points of the Open-Source Definition.

I don't want to draw premature conclusions, but so far it sounds like a typical case of "wrapping themselves in the open-source banner for marketing purposes without giving people the associated freedoms"...

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Lol also the price are huge for the open source versions

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

From what I recall you can modify the code fine, they don't promise they can offer support for the module after you have made your changes

Technical support in scope for modifying the module is not included. Modification of the source code might result in limitations of technical support.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited September 2016

Do not buy anything from them.

• Code quality is literaly crap. Roten core with sweet "feature" set;
    • A ton of unresolved bugs on every app they have;
    • Release cycle designed to milk you with "annual renewal" fees;
    • Autistic support with inability to properly debug their own software.

If you have any chance to avoid these clowns - do that. Poland coders are on the same level as India "PHP ultra guru's". Look at hostbill, PL shit also. Pure vomit.

• I second what has just been said.

Unfriendly UI, and things rarely work... unless you are happy to be paying yearly fees for broken code.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I should clarify we have the full source proxmox cloud module. We have made heavy modifications to it

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

So what billing/support system would you consider for a highly secure environment? Blesta? WHMCS? Kayako?

• @MrGeneral said:
    So what billing/support system would you consider for a highly secure environment? Blesta? WHMCS? Kayako?

Kayako is not a billing platform, rather bloated and out of time support solution. Wanna serious software? Ubersmith.com for example.

@LTniger said:

@MrGeneral said:

Kayako is not a billing platform, rather bloated and out of time support solution. Wanna serious software? Ubersmith.com for example.

Ubersmith is pricey as hell and from what I have heard, it's not that updated often.

It's UI is ugly as hell.

• @MrGeneral said:
    It's UI is ugly as hell.

In comparison to what? As far as I can tell, WHMCS grabbed a blind guy with no hands off the street and screamed "WEB 2.0!" in his face until he created an interface . . .

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

@ModulesGarden Any insights?

@Microlinux said:

@MrGeneral said:
    It's UI is ugly as hell.

In comparison to what? As far as I can tell, WHMCS grabbed a blind guy with no hands off the street and screamed "WEB 2.0!" in his face until he created an interface . . .

pfft, only took them a FEW years to make it responsive

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Microlinux said:

@MrGeneral said:
    It's UI is ugly as hell.

Still better than Ubersmith!

@doghouch said:
    @ModulesGarden Any insights?

@Microlinux said:

@MrGeneral said:
    It's UI is ugly as hell.

pfft, only took them a FEW years to make it responsive

UGLY!

• Confirmed: ModuleGarden support is useless, module quality is poor and they are only focused on getting more money no matter what.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:
    Poland coders are on the same level as India "PHP ultra guru's". Look at hostbill, PL shit also. Pure vomit.

Leave your racist remarks at home, will you ?

• LTniger said: Release cycle designed to milk you with "annual renewal" fees;

lol, like WHMCS

• I'm using mg for proxmox, its fine module but not best. hope they can improve it

• @httpzoom said:

>

As long you paid for the full source code, you should do whatever you would like with the source code, as you paid to have that, whatever you do after is your business

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

@LTniger said:
    Poland coders are on the same level as India "PHP ultra guru's". Look at hostbill, PL shit also. Pure vomit.

With a name like LTniger I think he was being deliberately racist, and I'm sure he will continue if he lasts long enough... @jarland that name, bro... Not cool.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • ModulesGarden, just no. I code better and you would need to see my code to appreciate my angle on this...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    ModulesGarden, just no. I code better and you would need to see my code to appreciate my angle on this...

Tabs or spaces?

Francisco

• Francisco said: Tabs or spaces?

Mood dependent.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@racksx said:

@httpzoom said:

>

As long you paid for the full source code, you should do whatever you would like with the source code, as you paid to have that, whatever you do after is your business

That's not how copyright or licensing works, though. You're not paying for the source code, you're paying for the license - and that license can introduce restrictions.

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:
    ModulesGarden, just no. I code better and you would need to see my code to appreciate my angle on this...

Tabs or spaces?

Francisco

Tabs, obviously!

@pbgben said:

@Clouvider said:

@LTniger said:

With a name like LTniger I think he was being deliberately racist, and I'm sure he will continue if he lasts long enough... @jarland that name, bro... Not cool.

Niger is a country...

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

Maybe OpenSource means you don't need to pay yearly fees specially If you don't want to purchase upgrade/update while Encrypted software forced us to renew every year.

<br?
    But nice joke.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Maybe OpenSource means you don't need to pay yearly fees specially If you don't want to purchase upgrade/update while Encrypted software forced us to renew every year.

<br?
    But nice joke.

It seems you dont know the difference between open source and FOSS

Thanked by 3doughmanes Lee sayem314
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

@mycosys said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

<br?
    But nice joke.

It seems you dont know the difference between open source and FOSS

There's a line separating the stupid and people who make honest mistakes. He's crossed the line.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

pbgben said: With a name like LTniger I think he was being deliberately racist, and I'm sure he will continue if he lasts long enough... @jarland that name, bro... Not cool.

That could be his name. Question where your head is at, if you see something racist in that name.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

I spent too much money and learned a valuable lesson with modulesgarden. You wanna hear the absolutely nuts part? These two modules don't work together:

http://www.modulesgarden.com/products/whmcs/dns_manager/features
    http://www.modulesgarden.com/products/whmcs/cpanel_extended/features

Despite working with cPanel, the DNS Manager wouldn't import any zones. So if someone adds a DNS entry in cPanel, I would have to go back and add it into the DNS Manager for it to show up there.

Needless to say I found that to be a bit much to say that it works with cPanel, more like it "makes use of" cPanel if you happen to enjoy manually entering one-by-one every domain on your cPanel server OR your cPanel server exists purely for DNS.

Asked for a refund, refused, so I filed a chargeback, lost, learned a lesson. If you've ever seen how I think of chargebacks, you know that's quite out of character for me. They're friendly, but they'll never have my business or recommendation.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    But nice joke.

You should be nominated for the joke of the year award, you'll win easily

• Yes you are.

• DewlanceVPS said: But nice joke.

AutoBoot going on GitHub one day?

Thanked by 1mycosys