Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Kimsufi any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Kimsufi any good?

alterarchalterarch Member
edited March 2013 in General

I was looking for a Low End Dedicated server and I came across a 8.99 Pound Server from OVH but I was wondering if anyone here had past experience with OVH's performance / Network uptime etc. You are also allowed to order the Kimsufi from Australia, right? I remember they used to not let you.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

00:16:09 up 149 days, 22:47, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Network is just as good as the hardware uptime, only had one network outage which was planned and returned minutes later.

Solid stuff.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

OVH is great, as long as you don't attract trouble and don't need customer service.

• @Ishaq said: Solid stuff.

On the order form, the only country available is the UK? Which site did you buy from?

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2013

@alterarch said: On the order form, the only country available is the UK? Which site did you buy from?

Yeah, the UK site. It's a VKS, I should've said.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

Buy from .fr site. Check the Bon deals.

• I've got an mKS2g from the .ie site. It's lackluster, but it's worth it if you have a specific use case for it.

• If I dont always forget to pay my Kimsufi Invoice, It'd have about 7 months of uptime.. Network is stable and reliable, server is great for my use.

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited March 2013

I've got almost 100% availability over the last year split between the BHS/RBX locations. Most recent fibercut was the biggest problem I've had so far.

Never had a problem bursting the whole 100Mbps as well.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I got mKS 2G from .com site. It's good, but its customer service is poor.

• @eastonch said: If I dont always forget to pay

Gmail, Hotmail has this really awesome feature of pinning a message automatically by email address.

• lumaluma Member

My KS servers have better uptime than any of my VPS' with various providers. Though I don't use KS servers for anything critical due to the lack of raid.

Uptime is great, Network is great (Some people will debate this but I have not had a problem with the network)

Customer service sucks! But They provide a great website that lets you do just about anything including a virtual KVM and reinstallation system so you don't need the customer service. If hardware fails they are pretty good at fixing it (never had to use this though)

It seems now a days most people (including myself) are getting the Atom N2800 cpu. Good little workhorse but no Xeon E3/E5 so as long as you don't expect it to work like a E3/E5 you won't have problems.

02:41:40 up 420 days, 19:36, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.13
    02:43:49 up 148 days, 13:21, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    02:52:10 up 106 days, 11:45, 0 users, load average: 1.15, 1.24, 1.22

model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz
    (420 day uptime) model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 220 @ 1.20GHz
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz

• So are OVH the only real providers that sell Dedicated Servers for this cheap?

• hetzner comes close.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited March 2013

Try online.net

They have boxes for 9 euros.

http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-sc

Also they respond to complains really good.

For example iv had my box for almost 6 months and had a DMCA notice for a file i was hosting.

They just forward the complaint email to me and gave 48 hrs to fix it.

Cool people.

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited March 2013

@cloromorpho said: Try online.net

Does their panel offer reinstalls or do you have to contact them? Also is their panel in English?

• They have a reinstall panel with plenty distros, ip failover, reverse dns and other settings.

Website and payment platform is in french. Server control panel is in english and french.

Customer service speak english.

Payment is only paypal afaik.

• They have boxes for 9 euros.

I want the E7 with 1 TB of RAM.
    http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-extremesp

• @cloromorpho said: Payment is only paypal afaik.

Wrong, they only started accepting Paypal a few months ago in select territories.

• @Wintereise said: Wrong, they only started accepting Paypal a few months ago in select territories.

I just check and you are correct. Credit card is indeed accepted.

• Well, we also have cheap Atoms, but not that cheap - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8926/dual-core-4-threads-1.86ghz-atom-n2800-with-4gb-ram-from-25month
    Much more configurable options to choose from though.
    But unfortunately we are quite far away from Australia, network wise.

• Awesome!!! il definitely check them out...

Im extremely happy how this puppies works!

• @rds100 Nano or Atom?

• @cloromorpho Atom N2800

• @rds100 do you hace some LEB exclusive links to get one of those boxes cheeper?? i seriously need cheap boxes on Europe. (40 bucks budget... :/)

Buy ovh.com customer service is like talking to an automated bot.

• Yes, the link i posted says you have LEB special of "buy 2GB RAM, get upgraded to 4GB for free". Can't do much more than this :)
    And by the way the Atom is not good for virtualization, you can't run proxmox on it.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited March 2013

i know, im thinking of buing a i3 2130

keep in mind is for personal use.

• Well, for i3 - ovh or hetzner. We don't have any i3s at the moment :)

• hmm... im gona be honest.

OVH servers, prices and internet links are quite awesome...

Buy customer service SUC7 B4LL5... its sad really. they could be absolutely the best in the bizz.

Its so bad even a experience sysadmin pulls his hairs out when it comes to OVH customer service.

(sure, sure, there are exceptions, but thats not my case. don't kill me)

• that shows how important is for some people to feel appreciated.

• I don't know, usually when i get something from another provider (VPS or something else) i don't need to contact their customer services at all. What do you need to contact them for? What can they do for you?