Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH showing wrong drive space.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH showing wrong drive space.

WHTWHT Member

Hello.
My OVH server is showing wrong drives. I have a raid10 with 4 drives, each 2 tb.

And now it shows:

/dev/md2 20G 20G 0 100% /
devtmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 32G 19M 32G 1% /run
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md3 1.9T 175G 1.6T 10% /home

any idea whats wrong here?

Comments

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited September 2016

cat /proc/mdstat

• [root@srv tmp]# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
    md3 : active raid10 sdd3[3] sda3[0] sdc3[2] sdb3[1]
    2026992640 blocks 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
    bitmap: 1/16 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk

md2 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdc2[2] sdd2[3] sdb2[1]
    20478912 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

• You have installed using Raid1 so will only have 2TB your need to reinstall with Raid10 to make use of the 4TB

• @AshleyUk said:
    You have installed using Raid1 so will only have 2TB your need to reinstall with Raid10 to make use of the 4TB

If I have raid1 then should show 4TB

• You need to click Max it during installation or you are not using the full hard disk space.

• @smile93 said:
    You need to click Max it during installation or you are not using the full hard disk space.

Any chance to do it now?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

That was one of the specials? I too had a similar issue with the raid. Because its a soft raid I think, it has problems like only allowing you to have a raid 1 for the boot partition.

• @WHT said:

@AshleyUk said:
    You have installed using Raid1 so will only have 2TB your need to reinstall with Raid10 to make use of the 4TB

Raid 1 will only give 2TB your next to use Raid1, you may need to set Raid1 for boot/system and a Raid10 other mount.

You can also try converting from Raid1 to Raid10 using mdstat.

• @WHT said:

@AshleyUk said:

Nope, raid 1 on 4 disks is just 4 copies of the same data, so 2TB total.

• @pbgben said:
    That was one of the specials? I too had a similar issue with the raid. Because its a soft raid I think, it has problems like only allowing you to have a raid 1 for the boot partition.

Any chance to fix it? I need the damn 4tb

• @teamacc said:

@WHT said:

@AshleyUk said:

Total disk 8TB (4x 2TB) why should raid1 give 2TB?

• Lookig again md3 is raid 10, so more file system issue.

What does fdisk -l /dev/md3 show?

• @AshleyUk said:
    Lookig again md3 is raid 10, so more file system issue.

What does fdisk -l /dev/md3 show?

Disk /dev/md3: 2075.6 GB, 2075640463360 bytes, 4053985280 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 524288 bytes / 1048576 bytes

• Does it show the partitions?

• @WHT said:

@teamacc said:

@WHT said:

@AshleyUk said:

Total disk 8TB (4x 2TB) why should raid1 give 2TB?

raid1 is pure copies of data. With 4 disks it means 4 copies.

If you want 4TB of space you need to use raid 10, which is 2x raid1 in raid0

• @WHT your need to destroy the md3 destroy each of the sub partitions on the 4 disk, create the full 4TB/Full disk partitions. Then re-create md3 RAID 10.

• i83i83 Member
    edited September 2016

@WHT said:

Any chance to fix it? I need the damn 4tb

If there server is blank you may be better off starting from scratch again rather than fixing what is there.

Create a small R1 for /boot and then ensure the others are set to R10 (you can't boot to SWRAID10 direct).

• MadMad Member
    edited September 2016

I would personally suggest to reinstall it from scratch via KVM, it will me much easier for you.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

@Falzo wrote a short tutorial on how to install the disks in Raid-10 on that very server here:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1848695/#Comment_1848695

That will probably help you if you start from scratch.

• @WHT how did you install the server? via ipmi or from ovh template?

from this:

one can tell, that you have raid10 in place but it seems to be only 1TB per disk, resulting in 2TB raid10 at all. you probably are simply not using the whole disks...

could you please post the output of

fdisk -l / dev/sda

as it seems you already put 175GB of data onto it, let's make that very clear: you most probably will need to reinstall the system again and make sure the raid is correctly sized during the install :/

there may be ways to try and resize the soft-raid by taking each single partition block off as faulty and replacing it with a bigger one until all four are sized the again - but I would not recommend that as it is highly risky, in no way guaranteed to work and will involve a lot time for resyncing each time you swapped one partition.

• I really hate linux. I have to wait till monday to call OVH to try to fix it. It took me two days to configure and when I uploaded my shit I saw that is not showing the correct disk. Am a jurk.

Thank you guys.

• During the installation, you need to click max on your raid 10, only then you will get the 4TB raid 10. If not, you need to destroy and reconstruct.

• WHT said: I really hate linux.

I think I found your issue :)

Thanked by 3i83 Riz doughmanes
  • WHT said: I have to wait till monday to call OVH to try to fix it.

Likely they will tell you to redeploy ensuring you select to use the whole disk during re-install.

• RizRiz Member
    edited September 2016

@Falzo said:
    @WHT how did you install the server? via ipmi or from ovh template?

from this:

one can tell, that you have raid10 in place but it seems to be only 1TB per disk, resulting in 2TB raid10 at all. you probably are simply not using the whole disks...

could you please post the output of

fdisk -l / dev/sda

as it seems you already put 175GB of data onto it, let's make that very clear: you most probably will need to reinstall the system again and make sure the raid is correctly sized during the install :/

there may be ways to try and resize the soft-raid by taking each single partition block off as faulty and replacing it with a bigger one until all four are sized the again - but I would not recommend that as it is highly risky, in no way guaranteed to work and will involve a lot time for resyncing each time you swapped one partition.

@WHT said:
    I really hate linux. I have to wait till monday to call OVH to try to fix it. It took me two days to configure and when I uploaded my shit I saw that is not showing the correct disk. Am a jurk.

Thank you guys.

You have answers above, OVH isn't just going to "fix" it for you. I suggest following through what @Falzo suggested.

• Don't you have 500GB free backup space from OVH? Upload your data there, rebuild your Raid10 and then download the data again...

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @ccarita said:
    Don't you have 500GB free backup space from OVH? Upload your data there, rebuild your Raid10 and then download the data again...

I was thinking this - could FTP it across for example but I've got a feeling proxmox using the OVH template isn't allowing any use beyond 2TB...

• Fucking pussies and your RAID.

A full 8TB FTW.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2016

WHT said: I have to wait till monday to call OVH to try to fix it.

Why do you want to "call OVH"? This is an unmanaged server. Set up the damn RAID yourself.

Thanked by 2boernd doughmanes