Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former Virtwire customer looking for new homes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Former Virtwire customer looking for new homes

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
edited September 2016 in Requests

Hi,
as many of you know, Virtwire has closed down recently. I had quite a few boxes from them and am looking for replacements now. While it wasn't that difficult to find providers for the larger locations like France/Canada (OVH), Falkenstein (Hetzner), Los Angeles..., it's quite challenging to find comparable offers for locations like:

• Duesseldorf, Germany (Bradler & Krantz)
  • St. Petersburg, Russia (Fishnet Communications)
  • Auckland, New Zealand (Zappie Host)
  • Stockholm, Sweden (Portlane)

I'm looking for IPv6-only/NAT boxes with 64-128 MB RAM, 2-5 GB Storage, ~100 GB Traffic/month. I do not use these boxes for anything productive or illegal, collecting and playing around with these boxes is rather a hobby of mine. @simonindia will understand that :)

I don't expect any provider to beat the cheap prices Virtwire used to offer, but maybe there are providers which have some spare resources in those locations ( @UltraVPS @Zappie @vStoike ) and are willing to provide me (and other former Virtwire customers!) with a decent offer.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Frecyboy simonindia

Comments

• PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited September 2016

Unsure if Virtwire's prices are sustainable :) But you can certainly find offers in these locations within LET price range.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The price is sustainable as in it can just about cover itself after a few years, rapid expansion is not unless you have the finances to back it up.

LES was never a profit driven thing, or certainly not designed to be.

I looked in to NZ and Russia in detail, I doubt see any way of doing it without pre orders and almost doubling the price.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • i83i83 Member
    edited September 2016

Best of luck in your search @brueggus, Be interesting what other NAT services are out there.

We also looked at a few of the places mentioned above (RU/NZ) but overall demand was minimal - maybe one of the reasons VirtWire went the way it did.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@AnthonySmith said:
    and almost doubling the price.

Doubling the price is fine for me. In my opinion, even 6 EUR/year would be a good price for a VPS in such locations. Don't know what other people who are used to Virtwire's pricing think though.

@brueggus yep I have no doubt some people want it but I suspect not enough hence I would need to do pre order to even consider it.

@i83 do you guys use solusvm?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

AnthonySmith said: I looked in to NZ and Russia in detail, I doubt see any way of doing it without pre orders and almost doubling the price.

i83 said: We also looked at a few of the places mentioned above (RU/NZ) but overall demand was minimal - maybe one of the reasons VirtWire went the way it did.

I can not comment on demand or efforts required to run the LES NAT'd nodes. However we sponser(ed) the NZ node to Virtwire (and do the same for the South Africa Location with DeepNET)
    If there you guys (or any other existing LES provider that knows what they are doing when it comes to NAT'd containers) is willing to take over the task, please do let us know. I know David @ DeepNET was initially keen to take over the NZ LES operation but seems changed his/their mind recently.

Currently speaking the old node that was under Virtwire's control (as far as I can see) is still operational and will continue to be the case until we manage to find someone who can take over with managing this service.
    We really do want to continue to see New Zealand be offered as an LES location as we are big fans of the idea/objects the small NAT'd containers are trying to achieve.

@Zappie interesting, I had no idea, what is worse is that I don't think anyone knew you had done that with is outrageous.

If you want to drop me a PM on the finer details of the sponsorship I may take it over but it would be on a fresh start basis.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

What is your budget? I never see their website or pricing.

Looking for Linux VPS?

DewlanceVPS said: What is your budget? I never see their website or pricing.

Looking for Linux VPS?

€3.00 p/year was the base price.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • i83i83 Member
    edited September 2016

AnthonySmith said: @i83 do you guys use solusvm?

Nope, we spoke to Phil and the team about a few quirks and issues migrating but there were a few setbacks and they never wanted to resolve them so we stuck with Virtualizor.

Zappie said: However we sponser(ed) the NZ node to Virtwire (and do the same for the South Africa Location with DeepNET)

Hats off to you guys!

AnthonySmith said: what is worse is that I don't think anyone knew you had done that with is outrageous.

I imagine it is news to many.

If there you guys (or any other existing LES provider that knows what they are doing when it comes to NAT'd containers) is willing to take over the task, please do let us know.

Go on @AnthonySmith, you know you want to ;)

Ah I see, that's a shame, I was going to send you the reverse proxy settings for solusvm was all.

Thanked by 1i83
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Ah I see, that's a shame, I was going to send you the reverse proxy settings for solusvm was all.

Maybe one day we will switch over but I doubt it, following on from their lack of responses we are not overly impressed with the way OnApp is handling SolusVM since they took it over, but that is another story.

We are working on something that should fit with our current panel, but at this stage its still in closed testing.

I would not bother with solusvm at this stage, they don't give a shit, their leaders are full of shit and their public relations guy literally spews shit.

I just helped someone else get it set up the other day and its remarkably simple is all.

Thanked by 1i83
  • Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited October 2016

So, Virtwire's services stopped by this day, at least for me. I'm looking for Russian NAT - do you guys have an alternative, please? Thanks.

• i83i83 Member

brueggus said: Auckland, New Zealand (Zappie Host)

We are working in conjunction with ZappieHost for a NZ NAT location, more information on packages/pricing can be found on our site.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited October 2016

Did you try https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/nat-vps.html ? Seems to be listed on a forum thread where people were discussing about this issue> http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=2895