Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtEngine Cloud Platform - Launching VM Demo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtEngine Cloud Platform - Launching VM Demo

Hello LET Community,

We have been hard at work on bringing the VirtEngine Cloud Platform to life, here's a sneak peak of the software in action!

While we are revamping our website, you can learn more about the platform from here VirtEngine Documentation.

You can also get notified when our product is released by entering your email on our website: https://virtengine.com

Here are the features we support:

'The cost is capped at 64GB RAM per Node, meaning the max cost is $16/mo/node for the Minified Edition & $32/mo/node for the Complete Edition with no hidden costs.'

Thanked by 3MikePT pbgben Mad

Comments

• Looks really nice :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

I actually really like that price structure, not so far off solusvm it puts people off but enough to really develop the product going forward.

Last thought on the pricing structure, have you considered making it a little more granular?

For example in my case I would use the complete edition but I really would only use 2 of the extra features (micro services and white label), some people may not feel it is worth doubling the license fee if they only want docker, or simple storage or white label.

just a thought, seems like there could be a pricing tier in between that would probably be more suitable for many who would only use the minified version otherwise, something like a midified for $24/mo/node.

It looks good, when I get time I will get more in to it.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • PrColoPrColo Member
    edited September 2016

It looks like its coming along good id be willing to give it a run when its live in the meantime keep up the good work the doc is very informative.

• Does the node pricing include the master/slave/storage nodes as in your example system layout or is it just for the compute nodes?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

Pyromancer said: Does the node pricing include the master/slave/storage nodes as in your example system layout or is it just for the compute nodes?

The master license costs the following for onpremise (minified is no longer only SaaS):

$7.5/mo for Minified

$15/mo for Complete

While for SaaS the license cost is free, however you only pay for the resources of the VMs that deploy the Master & Slave (Which also come with HA & DDOS Protection)

Storage comes included with the compute node.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

AnthonySmith said: just a thought, seems like there could be a pricing tier in between that would probably be more suitable for many who would only use the minified version otherwise, something like a midified for $24/mo/node.

Sounds like something we can experiment with. We can setup the following case-by-case on the features required, however the way our Automated Launcher is designed doesn't support limiting feature by feature so it can be done but requires manual intervention from us.

• I love the trademarked "Soon" :P

Thanked by 3DETio cassa deadbeef
  • It actually seems to be a really interesting project.

Is there an integrated billing system or are the registrations and invoices handled by WHMCS?

• @doghouch said:
    I love the trademarked "Soon" :P

I thought ColoCrossing owned it? IPv6

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@andreamada said:
    It actually seems to be a really interesting project.

Is there an integrated billing system or are the registrations and invoices handled by WHMCS?

The documentation explains how the public edition is integrated with billing (WHMCS currently)

VirtEngine Documentation - Billing

• It, well, actually looks, good?

As long as it doesn't become Virtkick I'm sure many providers would give this a shot.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    It, well, actually looks, good?

As long as it doesn't become Virtkick I'm sure many providers would give this a shot.

Well, so far I think we've done a good job at avoiding that. Right?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice domain mate hehehe.
    Been following this for a long time. Jonathan is an awesome guy and works hard to launch a successful product. I'm proud of him.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice project @DETio . If this was announced some months ago, I would have donated a lot towards this getting developed as a replacement panel. I hope that other people, who currently depend on SolusVM would do the same exact thing and support you. My team has been writing code for months now, to replace the dead SolusVM. I know how much efforts and sleepless nights it costs.

Thanked by 2DETio PrColo
  • MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited September 2016

Oh come on. Didn't anyone see that?

2GB CPU

2 Core Memory

In my opinion there is still a lot to do with front-end. I will send you PM with few ideas in my free time.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Looks good

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

I'm impressed. I've been skeptical of your claims of high availability and failover from the beginning, but not because I don't want it to be true. I want to be pleasantly surprised. It sounds like you've had some success, so I'll remain optimistic that I will be surprised. It's nice to see someone challenging the norm.

I still worry, though, about being able to live store a KVM on two hard drives on two separate servers over a 1Gbps internal network at any reasonable scale, to such a degree that one can simply "failover" to the other. Not only because I've seen what taking live images of a KVM can do at scale and on busy instances, but because of the raw transfer back and forth over the private interface assuming any reasonable capacity on either node.

But, like I said, feel free to surprise me. If it's not KVM, perhaps it all makes more sense to me right away. Could easily be done with VZ.

• Looking forward to VirtEngine.

Especially migration from SolusVM - we've taken a long time looking for other solutions.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • do you plan to release plugin for Hostbill? :) looks really nice

• @DETio said:

@FlamesRunner said:
    It, well, actually looks, good?

Well, so far I think we've done a good job at avoiding that. Right?

You just got a new customer. You hear that OnApp?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@jarland said:
    I'm impressed. I've been skeptical of your claims of high availability and failover from the beginning, but not because I don't want it to be true. I want to be pleasantly surprised. It sounds like you've had some success, so I'll remain optimistic that I will be surprised. It's nice to see someone challenging the norm.

I still worry, though, about being able to live store a KVM on two hard drives on two separate servers over a 1Gbps internal network at any reasonable scale, to such a degree that one can simply "failover" to the other. Not only because I've seen what taking live images of a KVM can do at scale and on busy instances, but because of the raw transfer back and forth over the private interface assuming any reasonable capacity on either node.

But, like I said, feel free to surprise me. If it's not KVM, perhaps it all makes more sense to me right away. Could easily be done with VZ.

We've been testing HA extensively and so far and it's performed up to our expectancy.

1GBps is the minimal system requirements for a private network, we do recommend 10GBps for a smooth failover- the speed of recovery depends on what hardware the provider is willing to invest in.

Just because a 1GBps Private Network with large HDD Stores isn't gonna be so quick doesn't mean the software shouldn't be there to support it in the first place for providers who do have the hardware for a smooth transition on failure.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @bananaEgg said:
    do you plan to release plugin for Hostbill? :) looks really nice

Yes we have plans to build/work with HostBill to build a plugin however are currently focusing on WHMCS then Blesta due to their popularity.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

MrPsycho said: Oh come on. Didn't anyone see that?

2GB CPU

2 Core Memory

In my opinion there is still a lot to do with front-end. I will send you PM with few ideas in my free time.

I'm surprised I forgot to fix that before taking the video :(

Yeah, the UI is getting revamped in many ways - the following are two components under development that will be implemented soon:

Global Search:

New Launcher:

• @DETio said:

MrPsycho said: Oh come on. Didn't anyone see that?

2GB CPU

2 Core Memory

I'm surprised I forgot to fix that before taking the video :(

Yeah, the UI is getting revamped in many ways - the following are two components under development that will be implemented soon:

Global Search:

New Launcher:

UI looks much better than that in the initial post. Good luck to you!

Thanked by 1DETio
  • Is it self hosted? What language is the frontend written in?

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@srvrpro said:
    Is it self hosted? What language is the frontend written in?

FrontEnd: EmberJS & Ruby

Engine & API to OpenNebula: GoLang

DB API: Scylla

Thanked by 2srvrpro deadbeef
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@srvrpro said:
    Is it self hosted? What language is the frontend written in?

Front-End: Ember.JS & Ruby

Back-End: Golang (majority), Scylla

Yes both editions are self-hosted.

Edit: well just as blazingservers mentioned :P

• DETio said: Yes both editions are self-hosted.

Any ETA?

• srvrpro said: Any ETA?

Couple weeks to a month at most, we can already launch the platform manually however :) That's for the whole process to be automated. Currently the platform is in late beta and can be tested on the providers servers if they would like - Simply get in contact with us.

• I'm at a little loss with the licensing so if I wanted to direct use the panel and your servers I'd only be able to spend a certain amount on that node? Do the master licenses need slave licenses? How does that all work.

Overall looks good better than some of the other examples that have appeared on LET from time to time.