Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use mod_security?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use mod_security?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited March 2013 in General

Playing with mod_security for cPanel-based hosting. At the moment I'm thinking of setting up the Atomic free rules

http://www.atomicorp.com

Do you use mod_security? If so which rules set?

BTW, I know you super-l33t types will say "pffft, I write my own rules!" Very well but I personally am not familiar with every open source software product in existence :-)

Comments

• Didn't know there were rules other than the OWASP ones.

I might try this! Mod_Security seems like a good idea for most web servers. :)

• most guys don't even set open_basedir or disable a few php verbs, so i guess you won't get many answers. Unless there's a easy-to-click web panel with an option l33t-anyhacker-setting already installed on their vps.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I used to use Mod_Security on my shared servers, but it caused more problems than what its worth. I just use CSF (Config Server Firewall) And its great :D

• Nginx?

• @bdtech said: Nginx?

cpanel

@Rallias said: cpanel

You can run cPanel & Ngnix

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@HostUS said: I used to use Mod_Security on my shared servers, but it caused more problems than what its worth.

I also noticed some minor issues even with default rules setup. As example it blocked (made unclickable) jquery menus in my Drupal installations, then blacklisted own (server) IP because Drupal cron feature, etc... It can be really a mess in shared hosting environment.
    The most logical solution would be simply to remove those few lines in ruleset however till I find time to install and fix new potential mess with some better ruleset like OWASP and since I don't have any third party users I simply whitelisted my own and server IPs to temporary eliminate issues above without disabling or removing any rules.

@Spirit said: I also noticed some minor issues even with default rules setup. As example it blocked (made unclickable) jquery menus in my Drupal installations, then blacklisted own (server) IP because Drupal cron feature, etc...

The most logical solution would be simply to remove those few lines in ruleset however till I find time to install some better ruleset like OWASP and since I don't have any third party users I simply whitelisted my own and server IPs to temporary eliminate issues above without disabling or removing any rules.

It kept blocking the servers IP's and it got to the point it blocked my /27 and put my server in a loop, server load went to 500 then crashed. I have had so much issues with mod_security i just removed it. CSF replaced it, and is much better.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

But CSF and mod_security are completely different tools.

I like/use CSF as well, but mod_security is app-level filtering which CSF doesn't do.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

raindog308 true that.

@HostUS said: It kept blocking the servers IP's and it got to the point it blocked my /27 and put my server in a loop, server load went to 500 then crashed.

Ouch. But atleast those IP blocks could be prevented with simple whitelist entries in mod_security configuration.

example:

SecRule REMOTE_ADDR "^127.52.190.127" phase:1,nolog,allow,ctl:ruleEngine=off

SecRule REMOTE_ADDR "^127.52.153.192/27" phase:1,nolog,allow,ctl:ruleEngine=off