Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in HongKong or VPN ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in HongKong or VPN ?

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited March 2013 in General

Please suggest me, I have Edis.at on my list, looking for offers. Post if you can quickly deploy one.

Comments

• There's also Windows Azure, however that's not at LEB pricing at all (except the free trial).

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Edis.at and HostVirtual (vr.org, lowest plan $10) are both excellent.

edited to add: I use Edis in Hong Kong. I haven't tried HostVirtual's Hong Kong location but I'm using them in Chennai, India.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited March 2013

VPS: Edis, vr.org, OVH
    VPN: hidemyass.com and strongvpn.com

Not sure why are you looking for a VPN but if you are using it for quick, temporary testing purposes I can lend you a helping hand.

• He probably wants to use it for illegal usage

• @BronzeByte said: He probably wants to use it for illegal usage

Or hk can be good choice if you are Chinese and want to bypass censorship

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@DomainBop said: vr.org, lowest plan $10

vr.org's 256M HK plan is always sold out. And they said they won't offer 256M plan any more. So the lowest plan is $20.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@superpilesos said: Or hk can be good choice if you are Chinese and want to bypass censorship

The OP is not Chinese, Indian IIRC.

• @Infinity said: The OP is not Chinese, Indian IIRC.

Hint: Maybe he didn't want to share this info here? ;-)

• He probably wants to use it for illegal usage

Or he could want to use it for something like a DNS server. The bandwidth costs in Hong Kong would probably make it unattractive for the usual illegal uses (like downloading pirated material, 12 year olds ddos'ing each other, etc)

• No, I am not chinese, 100% legal use.

• I wanna route my traffic for 1 month to somewhere else, I am fed up of my ISP that is not able to connect anywhere properly but to the google websites - Everywhere else the pings are not proper, Loosing packets, seems like a cable cut or may be the recent DDOS has harmed the infrastructure here. I tried 2-3 diff ways, all of them suck. HK seems a good connectivity to me. I would like to route my traffic from there until the mess here is solved.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@darknessends check Singapore as well, http://www.oneasiahost.com/

• rm_, real thanks, saw them posting few offers also, serverbear benchmarks for them have been good.

• @darknessends it's probably due to the recent undersea cable cuts.

• @darknessends you can try https://www.finchvpn.com/
    it's a vpn ... as seem from the domain =P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said: Hint: Maybe he didn't want to share this info here? ;-)

I didn't get it from his IP if that's what you're trying to imply, he mentioned it previously. I am not that stupid.

• Indian IIRC.
    HK seems a good connectivity to me.

There's a lot of latency from IN to HK. The ping times from my Chennai, India dns server to my Hong Kong dns server average 225ms-240ms.

7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6002ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 234.683/235.906/236.674/0.866 ms

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

edited to add: if you're in India you might want to try Prometeus in Italy instead of Hong Kong because the ping times from my server in India to my Prometeus server are 40ms less than the ping times to Hong Kong

pinging from Chennai to Milan

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4258ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 190.839/194.750/197.849/2.886 ms

• I cant access my prometeus servers actually.