Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Unveils Low End VPS Line
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Unveils Low End VPS Line

DomainBopDomainBop Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

OVH finally launched their 2013 line of VPS's in 3 flavors: Classic, Low Latency, and Cloud
http://www.ovh.ie/vps/

The low end VPS is €4.99

Burst RAM has been replaced with "vRam"

vRAM (or Virtual Memory) consists of the VPS RAM, completed by additional SSD memory offered through the virtualisation layer.

More effective than SWAP, it allows more flexibility to manage the occasional excesses of VPS dedicated RAM and thus offer an effective solution for managing light casual bursts (RAM saturation and overflow).

Cloud includes an extra 4GB SSD RAM

and for the VPS Cloud only :

4 GB of SSD in addition to your RAM for VPS Cloud ranges, i.e:

vRAM (viewed by the server) = RAM + 4 GB RAM SSD

Examples:

If you choose a VPS Cloud with 2 GB of RAM, your server will have 2 GB of RAM and 2 + 4 GB of vRAM,

Virtualization type:

For these 3 VPS ranges, OVH uses long mastered and proven virtualisation solutions.

Classic and Low Latency ranges run inside OpenVZ, which in turn runs on VMware. This solution allows complete isolation, while providing the best performance guarantees.

VPS Cloud, meanwhile, runs directly on VMware: only one virtualisation layer between your virtual machine and our clusters. 100% VMware: the best virtualisation solution that exists today, giving you unparalleled robustness.

Comments

• RophRoph Member

Eh, doesn't look that impressive.

• They simply prefer selling dedicated servers. The VPS line is just for completeness.

• lbftlbft Member

They posted on their Twitter the coupon 'VPS0313' to get "Classic 3" (the 2GB plan) for the price of the "Classic 2" 1GB plan if you pay for a whole year.

Either way, not particularly impressive considering the cost of an mKS 2G.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

Hong Kong can be interesting. Especially with APNIC IPs. But sadly not in their "classic" packet.

• IshaqIshaq Member

This is almost the same as the Kimsufi VDS they offered.

• Uh oh, they have VPSs in San Jose...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

More effective than SWAP

Sure, as soon as they develop their own operating system that knows how to interpret "burst" and doesn't screw up memory allocations without swap.

Burst is fine but I don't think I'd go around bragging about it lol

• @jarland said: Burst is fine but I don't think I'd go around bragging about it lol

What they mean is that they use SSD for the host's swap

edited March 2013

Perhaps I misread it. I wonder if its actually allocated as swap. If its somehow burst memory allocated separately (man that sounds like quite the task) I'd be pretty skeptical of how it scales.

Edit: Really confused here. vRAM = RAM, vRAM = SSD, therefore RAM = SSD? Surely not...

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

I wonder if its actually allocated as swap.

Thanks /sarcasm/ for making me wonder too. :P

ADDITIONAL SERVICES     Domain  Execution   Quantity    Unit price Price +vat
    Payment in loyalty points xxxx-ovh.ie.default Completed 499 €-0.01 €-4.99
    Dear Customer,
    Your VPS has just been installed with Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)

VPS details arrived 4 hours later.

test time...

looks like it:

free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 512 19 492 0 0 12
    -/+ buffers/cache: 7 504
    Swap: 128 0 128

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal: 524288 kB
    MemFree: 504072 kB
    Cached: 12620 kB
    Active: 14372 kB
    Inactive: 3004 kB
    Active(anon): 2272 kB
    Inactive(anon): 2484 kB
    Active(file): 12100 kB
    Inactive(file): 520 kB
    Unevictable: 0 kB
    Mlocked: 0 kB
    SwapTotal: 131072 kB
    SwapFree: 131072 kB
    Dirty: 0 kB
    Writeback: 0 kB
    AnonPages: 4756 kB
    Shmem: 2624 kB
    Slab: 2832 kB
    SReclaimable: 1420 kB
    SUnreclaim: 1412 kB

who needs E5's when you can get 4284's. :P

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 16
    model : 2
    model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 3000.000
    cache size : 2048 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 4
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 4
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc unfair_spinlock pni cx16 x2apic popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
    bogomips : 6000.00
    TLB size : 1536 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4284
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3000.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime : 23 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 76.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 5.98MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.32MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 50.9MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.52MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.60MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.27MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.07MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 14.6MB/s
    I/O speed : 73.0 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf test

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.088 s, 96.8 MB/s

ioping statistics ---

10 requests completed in 9009.9 ms, 1178 iops, 4.6 mb/s

ioping statistics ---

10 requests completed in 9007.0 ms, 1763 iops, 6.9 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.5/0.6/0.6/0.0 ms

verdict: OVH loyalty points +1, OVH's new budget VPS: yawn.

edited March 2013

So I'm guessing the key here is that the node's swap is set to SSD. Which makes me wonder if they're aware that OpenVZ container swap actually uses RAM. My interpretation of their wording is you get X dedicated RAM and you can burst up to Y, but when you get into Y it's SSD. That seems, to me, to be what they're saying. But unless they've built their own fork of OpenVZ or performed some serious acrobatics that they should be praised for, all they really mean is that after X customers then the rest get SSD as RAM and the node goes to hell ;)

I suppose the other option is that it's just confusing that they even reference it under the OpenVZ offerings and it may not be relevant to those at all.

• JTRJTR Member

On a related note, does anyone know if their .ie site gets flagged as fraud if you use a US credit card to purchase from it? I've had issues before with my Visa and Internet.bs, and while I want a mKS 2G, I don't want to have to deal with the billing issues I had with Internet.bs.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2013

@JTR said: On a related note, does anyone know if their .ie site gets flagged as fraud if you use a US credit card to purchase from it? I've had issues before with my Visa and Internet.bs, and while I want a mKS 2G, I don't want to have to deal with the billing issues I had with Internet.bs.

I've heard about US citizens using ovh.ie, you should just try.

• I use ovh.ie and use my debit card from the US. It works fine. The first time it declined and had to call my bank to let them know it was me purchasing stuff from france. They took down the block and its fine now!

• JTRJTR Member

@Dragoon0309 said: I use ovh.ie and use my debit card from the US. It works fine. The first time it declined and had to call my bank to let them know it was me purchasing stuff from france. They took down the block and its fine now!

That's the whole problem, I had that issue with Internet.bs and Visa did a poor job of resolving it, so I'm a bit wary of international merchants now.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

does anyone know if their .ie site gets flagged as fraud if you use a US credit card to purchase from it?

It depends on your card issuer and spending patterns (i.e. whether you regularly make international purchases). I've never had a problem with OVH.ie, Internet.bs or even VPS Networks (who use a South African card processor). The only place I regularly purchase from that I've had a problem with fraud alerts being triggered is IntoVPS because they use a Romanian card processor. I asked my bank to white list them and I haven't had a problem since then.

If you're from the US and purchase from OVH.ie OVH will require you to submit address/identity proof when you make your first purchase so they can verify that you're exempt from VAT.

@jarland said "But unless they've built their own fork of OpenVZ or performed some serious acrobatics"

Does running openvz on vmware qualify as serious acrobatics?

Classic and Low Latency ranges run inside OpenVZ, which in turn runs on VMware

• @JTR said: On a related note, does anyone know if their .ie site gets flagged as fraud if you use a US credit card to purchase from it? I've had issues before with my Visa and Internet.bs, and while I want a mKS 2G, I don't want to have to deal with the billing issues I had with Internet.bs.

Whenever buying from a site based in another country, it's always a safe bet to call up your credit card issuer and give them a heads up that you're planning to make a purchase on for on . Trust me - it's WAY easier doing that then having the charge get flagged/held/declined by the fraud department and trying to have it released.

• Fail

perl /etc/csf/csftest.pl

Testing ip_tables/iptable_filter...OK
    Testing ipt_LOG...OK
    Testing ipt_multiport/xt_multiport...OK
    Testing ipt_REJECT...OK
    Testing ipt_state/xt_state...OK
    Testing ipt_limit/xt_limit...OK
    Testing ipt_recent...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.] - Required for PORTFLOOD and PORTKNOCKING features
    Testing xt_connlimit...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.] - Required for CONNLIMIT feature
    Testing ipt_owner/xt_owner...OK
    Testing iptable_nat/ipt_REDIRECT...FAILED [Error: iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.] - Required for MESSENGER feature
    Testing iptable_nat/ipt_DNAT...OK

RESULT: csf will function on this server but some features will not work due to some missing iptables modules [3]

• tommytommy Member

TOTAL INCL. VAT €6.14

I'll try for 1 month :)