Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocking traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blocking traffic

yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
edited December 2011 in Help

I'm running a vpn server at an unmanaged vps and i want to block high bandwidth sites like rapidshare mediafire youtube etc because I only got 100gb bw. My friends suggested me a SQUID proxy will do but I tried and failed. Yes, I am a noob and sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

I also want to block all ports except web traffic (http and https only right?) and vpn traffic (what port is that? :() but still I'm hopeless.

Hope you guys spare me some of your time and help me solve this. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• kalamkalam Member
    edited December 2011

Which vps provider only has 10GB of bandwidth?

• @kalam said: Which vps provider only has 10GB of bandwidth?

sorry my bad it's supposed to be a hundred (dam manicure)

• @yowmamasita said: dam manicure

LOL!

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @yowmamasita said: sorry my bad it's supposed to be a hundred (dam manicure)

Are you male/female or he-she? I've never ever had a manicure as I own a pair of scissors.

• What VPN software are you running on your vps?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

You could block inbound traffic from these sites, You can do this by pinging the domain and then blocking all the IPs in IPTables.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • If you want to block all flash video try blocking port 1935 tcp/udp

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/164/tn_16499.html

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @efball said: If you want to block all flash video try blocking port 1935 tcp/udp

Which won't help with all those private or illegal movie sites, as they use port 80/443 since they don't have a Flash Media Server.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • mrm2005mrm2005 Member
    edited December 2011

Hi,

Change your dns to opendns . register an account on opendns. add your vps ip address as a new network, verify it (they send an email to you with a link, you should connect to your vpn and open that link) and block whatever you want. this only works for domain names, if they know the exact ip that doesn't help , but file-sharing sites usually use a server farm or something like with multiple ips , so usually they have to use the url not the ip.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • thanks to everyone!

@net said: Are you male/female or he-she?

he, lol. xmas is coming so i thought it's good to get one

@Damian4IPXcore said: What VPN software are you running on your vps?

OpenVPN, forgot to indicate it

@EaseVPS said: You could block inbound traffic from these sites, You can do this by pinging the domain and then blocking all the IPs in IPTables.

is it an efficient solution? i mean afaik rapidshare has multiple IPs right? or is it enough to block just rapidshare's web ip?

@efball said: If you want to block all flash video try blocking port 1935 tcp/udp

I will try that! thanks! but yea, japon is correct it wont block sites like pr0n streaming sites ayt?

@mrm2005 said: Change your dns to opendns .

hmm sounds excellent :) i will try that!

• At first I thought you had had false nails for some reason.

• lol you got a manicure for christmas, Am I missing something here? > . >

Regarding what you said though, It would just block rapidshares main website which would stop uploading/downloading of files since direct downloads do not work.

Good Luck OP.

• OT:

@net said: At first I thought you had had false nails for some reason.

@EaseVPS said: lol you got a manicure for christmas, Am I missing something here? > . >

it's not a big deal here in our country to get manicure/pedicure :) if you're too lazy to get your nails done by yourself you can always pay someone. oh btw youre not thinking that manicure = cuticle paint? no, i only got them cleaned

@EaseVPS said: just block rapidshares main website

i'll just do it like that then. ill post updates once i get to know how KVMs work. LOL

first time with Hostigation KVMs hope Ill be able to make this work in a day

• You could use DPI (deep packet inspection) or layer7 or similiar

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @DanielM said: You could use DPI (deep packet inspection) or layer7 or similiar

Be sure to mention that when you offer the VPN services to third parties, though.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • We do not want to be spying on traffic now do we daniel. Not good.
    I used to run a VPN Company, Waiting on the WHMCS Developer to finish off the module but clients purchase a VPN to be able to stay annonymous and protected.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @EaseVPS said: We do not want to be spying on traffic now do we daniel. Not good.

You dont need to spy on the traffic your server does that, so its completely safe and annonymous.

• @japon said: Be sure to mention that when you offer the VPN services to third parties, though.

Why?

• @DanielM said: You dont need to spy on the traffic your server does that

That's walking a very fine line. If the server can monitor the traffic, then a human can read the output, and there's nothing to stop a shady provider from simply saying "Nah, I never look at what the server finds!"

Honesty, for one. Secretly monitoring data without disclosing it to clients is a one-way ticket to deadpool should someone find out and post about it publicly.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @Aldryic said: f the server can monitor the traffic, then a human can read the output

Thats true but not very easy. dont forget isp's use this system too

• @DanielM said: Thats true but not very easy. dont forget isp's use this system too

Easy enough if you're good with formatting, I suppose. Not exactly high in my own skillset.

I've always been aware of ISPs being shadier than they'll admit to, that's why I take pains to keep their noses out of my affairs.

• @mrm2005 said: Change your dns to opendns

afaik you can bypass dns servers

• You could just block the sites IP?

• Is it possible to setup openvpn and a squid proxy on the same vps then pass openvpn's traffic through the proxy??
    Is it also possible to just block *.torrent files from getting through the vpn/proxy?

• @shin said: Is it also possible to just block *.torrent files from getting through the vpn/proxy?

Most torrents sites also allow you to download a *.txt version of the file.

Rather have the *.torrent file anyway as that's usually only a few kb's. The blocks are the ones that are the multiple megs.

• @drmike said: Most torrents sites also allow you to download a *.txt version of the file.

Or Magnet links. :)

• @Kuro said: Or Magnet links. :)

Agreed but that's a link and I believe we're talking about files. Not sure if one could stop the passing of a link. I;m sure there's a way....