Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ConoHa - network connection faster, than a dial-up modem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ConoHa - network connection faster, than a dial-up modem

Recently I decided to switch from my current VPS provider to another one, in Asia, mostly to lower latency.

I've decided to try ConoHa, since it is one of the few that have they website in english, and is not sold out like Vultr and Linode.

Web interface, indeed, looks sleek, very efficient, and does not require google translate.
To give it a spin, i've chosen a 3-core, 2GB plan.

CPU seems decent. According to /proc/cpuinfo, Intel Xeon E5-2660V3 clocked at 2.6
Not bad

I was going to use it mostly for running owncloud instance, git repos and later - small private web server for testing purposes.
So, I set it up, added a bit of music with weird non-latin characters in dirnames, to see if owncloud will sync them correctly, and set up another PC to receive files.

Eventually I added some more data and noticed that upload speed just ranks. Before I had about 4 MByte/s, now I had only 60 KByte/s.
The number was weirdly round, so I first suspected my local last mile IPS to do some unprecedent throttling, so I did a quick speed test and it was fine. (Most of what I will be talking about was going over a period of about two weeks, when I had free time to bother with this)

Now, after visiting ConoHa control panel, I was presented with following:
Never meant to abuse they network with such a flood of traffic

It had 100 Mbps in this field, now it does not - so the speed is low. Makes sense so far.
I decided to contact support and ask what's going on.
Now, what I was not expecting is that provider with decent website and great control panel, all in very good english, does not have english support, but it doesn't.
Only options are this and phone call to Tokyo:
私は、バカなアメリカ人です

So, I sent them a question in english anyway, because who does not speak english, at least a wee bit?

Answer was in japanese, and google translation clarified nothing.
This is what translation it got me:

"Regarding your inquiry, in your environment
Continue to had been detected a high traffic.
The influence of the other customers are concerned,
Limit we have temporarily carried out."

Oh, yes, magister? I didn't notice.
I was explicitly asking of what is the reason for limit, what i get is - there is limit. No way to figure out if my dozen of GBs are at fault, or I'm being reprimanded for having chatty neighbour.
Btw, I was not broadcasting anything to the local network, or nmap'ing everything in reach.
I checked and double-checked access log and network statistics.
AFAIK, those miniscule owncloud transfer amount was the only non-negligible traffic in the last days from me.

I replied with a request to switch to english, and asked to clarify what is the cause of this limitation and for how long will it be in effect.
Answer had three points:

1. Support will only be provided in japanese. (Well, at least they reply to letters in english. Has got to be happy - you can not take "better than nothing" for granted nowadays)
  2. Second point about reasons for speed throttling made even less sense that the first reply
  3. This is automatic measure, it will be reversed at 10PM japanese time, but it may be applied again in the future, do not be alarmed

Letter was closing with

"We'd like a review of your operation."

This last potion gave me a startle, as I certainly was not expecting this. Now, I don't know a lick of japanese to consult original text, but I interpreted this sentence as https://youtube.com/watch?v=i8Higghuw_I

There was also something about "well-being of stable nighbours", but I'm not going to even touch this point. This sentence gives me images I'd like to erase from mind.

I decided to do a simple test and when network got uncorked, started 10 concurrent downloads with curl, which easily maxed out 100 Mbit channel.
After about an hour I got the limit back.
I made an oopsie

Mind you, ConoHa advertises "unlimited transfer" on they main page.

I don't have much experience with VPS providers. This is only my second VPS. Maybe this kind of approach to traffic limits is normal when it comes to low-end cloud hostings.
But I never had anything like it with my first one.

And never even got a simple notification that network connection is about to get crippled, while these people have more than enough ways to contact me - from simple popup in control panel, to e-mail, or phone call.

Needless to say, I will not be using their services anymore.

Guess, will have to wait until one of "can into english"-providers expand.

Comments

• thatixthatix Member
    edited September 2016

Yes they do limits your port speed if they believe you have used too much data within a certain period of time to ensure quality for your neighbors( saving costs and kick abusers out too. e.g For years their disk IO remains at 1G+/s ). It is just a 100Mbps line.

The limitation will be automatically removed after 24 hours.
    You should be fine when utilize under 20Mbps for a long period of time.

Server's performance is one of the greatest I have ever seen:)
    This is just my experience with ConoHa through now I just use it for testing environment because of their high performance and hourly billing feature.

And

• they are going to kick you out if you got DDoSed even just once.

• Or you can try their premium service GMOcloud
      Not very low-end tho :)

Thanked by 2rm_ Kresp
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Kresp said: I've decided to try ConoHa, since it is one of the few that have they website in english, and is not sold out like Vultr and Linode.

Vultr isn't sold out in Asia - spun up one earlier this week in Tokyo. They've got Tokyo, Sydney, and Singapore.

Digital Ocean also is not sold out in Asia. They're in Bangalore and Singapore.

Both have websites in English :-)

Linode is sold out but, well, who cares...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

8EUR is not that cheap, but I guess for Unlimited Data in JP you cannot complain.

• raindog308 said: Vultr isn't sold out in Asia - spun up one earlier this week in Tokyo.

Only 5$ 1 core 768MB and 10$ 1core 1GB plans left in Tokyo.

I forgot to mention, that I was looking specifically for Japanese provs. Latency to Singapore is something abhorrent from where I am.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like you're getting the T-Mobile treatment -- unlimited data until you hit a low threshold then you get hit with the throttle stick.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2016

That's useful to know, I updated my provider page. You could try some of the others listed there, however with many of them advertising "100 Mbit unmetered" I wouldn't be surprised if those also employ similar throttling measures, though maybe not as hardcore or not as automated.

Specifically you could try Z.com, which runs on the same platform and network as ConoHa, but not unmetered, having a 2TB bandwidth limit instead. Well at least if other aspects of the service were fine, and you're ok with giving that company another chance.

Thanked by 1Kresp
  • rm_ said: Specifically you could try Z.com

Think I will stick with foreigners for the time being.

Btw, I'd like to thank you for keeping this page updated. It was very helpful while I was looking for a provider.

Everything other than bandwith was fine.

Except, there was a hitch when I borked fstab file while setting up additional SSD storage.
    Machine could not mount root, and even web access to console could not help me to boot in fallback mode, had to nuke the instance and start over. But this was my own fault, tbh.

• seilentseilent Member
    edited October 2016

Just got this too, i don't even reach 12Mb/s traffic
    well unless they count downstream and upstream as one
    going with z.com now

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Z.com doesn't accept new VPS registrations anymore.

• Completely depends on the plan. I am on a true unlimited plan and with about roughly 80Gig average on my iPhone. I hit about 110+ on my androids. > @BrianHarrison said:

Sounds like you're getting the T-Mobile treatment -- unlimited data until you hit a low threshold then you get hit with the throttle stick.

• seilentseilent Member
    edited October 2016

@rm_ probably doesn't work for new registration, i just created a VPS node yesterday though i registered my account long ago

i really wish that i can try other provider that gives 2TB ish or more per month with $10