Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB under 1 amp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB under 1 amp

jeffjeff Member
edited March 2013 in General

I picked up an old L5320 2x 1.86Ghrz based server with 24GB of RAM. I was thinking of putting two Samsung 128GB SSD drives in it. Does anyone know if I will be under 1 amp? The procs are rated at 50 watt, but AFAIK pull closer to 40 watts each.

Thanks! Jeff

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2013

Depends on where you're planning on colocating it and what kind of power they have.

E.g. 120V? 240V?

• amps = watts / volts

• Or: I = U/R :)

• @Rallias said: amps = watts / volts

500000 volts and 500000 watts

• @skirtTight: then yes it'd be 1 A

• @skirtTight said: 500000 volts and 500000 watts

Supercooling or big conductor?

• Isn't only the processors. And the TDP is the theoretical max power that these CPUs use, so if your machine won't be at 100% it will use less power.
    But also, the motherboard uses power, the disks too...
    Also, the PSUs have some specific efficiency rating, etc.

• @jeff said: I picked up an old L5320 2x 1.86Ghrz based server with 24GB of RAM. I was thinking of putting two Samsung 128GB SSD drives in it. Does anyone know if I will be under 1 amp? The procs are rated at 50 watt, but AFAIK pull closer to 40 watts each.

We just put a similar server in service with 16gb of RAM and 4x mechanical drives, it draws 1.8 amps. I don't think the drives are using that much power.

• @yomero said: Isn't only the processors. And the TDP is the theoretical max power that these CPUs use, so if your machine won't be at 100% it will use less power.

You have to consider cold boot power draw. Worse case, something happens, they all reboot at the same time. Even if you don't use them at 100%, that might be an issue.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

i would say 380W at full blast but they might let you get away with 2A

• @goexodus said: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

i would say 380W at full blast. They might let you get away with 3A

No, that tells you what PSU you need, not how much power you'd use.

• @Damian said: We just put a similar server in service with 16gb of RAM and 4x mechanical drives, it draws 1.8 amps. I don't think the drives are using that much power.

DDR2 ECC sticks eat power as if its candy, same for the IPMI and motherboard, the CPUs will indeed aprox use 40w and fans also eat some, drives use 8w on typical usage

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

No, that tells you what PSU you need, not how much power you'd use.

I know but it will give you an idea of what components consume. Dell has a power calculator for the datacenter but its an overkill

• @goexodus said: I know but it will give you an idea of what components consume. Dell has a power calculator for the datacenter but its an overkill

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about lol

• jeffjeff Member

I actually bought two, one with 8GB and one with 24GB of RAM. I bought them to get started with. If they can't fit under 1 amp each I plan to use them till I need better. Hopefully I can colo in LA near my home. Any suggestions?

• So, do you have them physically? Probably is better to get a kill-a-watt and see by yourself how they are.

• jeffjeff Member

The kill-a-watt is coming with the SSD drives, I should know next week.

• Oh bejuzus.

1A on this? hmmm.

Voltage make no difference folks... it's linear math...

School is in session:
    L5320
    Maximum power dissipation ? 5 Watt / 60 Watt / 79.74 Watt
    68.59 Watt (sustained)
    Thermal Design Power ? 50 Watt

50 watts x 2 CPU = 100 watts.

1A @ 120v = 120W

24GB of RAM = ? W????????: 20??? maybe

Samsung 840's... = .068 watts each = .12 watts

Will it meet 1A power. No. It's parked at !A and CPU is possibly able to draw 36 watts more in peak situations.

Power is often measured at mixed averages or peak.

Your peak is 1A +.... so you need for billing purposes, 2A.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: 24GB of RAM = ? W????????: 20??? maybe

50 - 70w (it's DDR2 ECC)

• earlearl Member

@jeff said: I picked up an old L5320 2x 1.86Ghrz based server with 24GB of RAM

What model are the servers?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

^ thanks for correction @BronzeByte... sloppy math.. lost in metric and the bottom of my glass..

2A, OP needs 2A.

• jeffjeff Member

Super X7DVL-E

• @pubcrawler said: ^ thanks for correction @BronzeByte... sloppy math.. lost in metric and the bottom of my glass..

2A, OP needs 2A.

DDR2 ECC tends to use around 2 - 3 watt per DIMM :/

And yes 2A or stop being silly and come to Europe's superior network ;-) (we have 230V)

• That 230V or 240V or 220V whatever you are counting isn't superior @BronzeByte. I like DC power baby... 12v and increments... wait... same math :)

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

I tend to agree with everyone.. you might get away with 1.5 amps but since you cant really buy .5 amps 2 amps is your best bet..

Datcentec only charges $10 for an extra amp not sure if this is the norm thought..

just to add the motherboard uses ECC FB-DIMM memory and those chew a lot of power!

• @earl. proper math for power is whatever you will burst in power to... There are different models, so no p!ssing match.

If you reach 120 watts+ on 120V you are bumped to cover overages... unless 120 watts is the absolute maximum you can ever pull..

Extra Amp charges are all over the place. Dacentec is low. $10 is near the bottom. Many are above that... 20-30$ per month surcharge typically.

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: @earl. proper math for power is whatever you will burst in power to...

Yup your right.. that's why I say 2 amps.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

FB DIMMs eat about 15W per module. 24 GB usually means 6 modules, so 90W of RAM. Plus 100W of CPU. Plus maybe 10W of everything else (maybe a bit less). You're well over 1 amp/120V AC right there.

We have a few servers with the same setup and they eat a lot of power. They're hardly worth it from a power cost perspective.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

@qps said: FB DIMMs eat about 15W per module. 24 GB usually means 6 modules, so 90W of RAM. Plus 100W of CPU. Plus probably 20W of everything else. You're close to 2 Amps/120V AC right there.

Best said ever. For a simple calculus this is great
    Everybody things that they know everything...

• jeffjeff Member

@qps said: We have a few servers with the same setup and they eat a lot of power. They're hardly worth it from a power cost perspective.

Yikes!