Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Yearly Canada VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Yearly Canada VPS

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited September 2016 in Requests

Just needs to run openvpn so 64 mb is fine I guess but would prefer 128-256mb
need 1 ipv4
not much bandwidth, few hundred gigs should suffice.

i wanted the mycustomhosting 64mb $10/yr but its sold out.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN NAT

Comments

• Have you seen this? https://clients.gestiondbi.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=183 should fit perfectly.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @FusedIT said:
    Have you seen this? https://clients.gestiondbi.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=183 should fit perfectly.

Thats awesome. I'll wait a few hours to see if anyone has anything cheaper though.

• their pricing is in Canadian Dollars too just in case you didn't notice, I didn't at first, so it adds up to just under $10USD. (makes it cheaper than mycustomhosting's offer)

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Some options:

• @xaitmi said:

Did you chat with @MCHPhil? Custom is in their name, after all...

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • @JustAMacUser said:

@xaitmi said:

Did you chat with @MCHPhil? Custom is in their name, after all...

i sent him a msg on the 19th he has not been online since the 17th

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • I don't know how frequently he visits here these days, maybe email him from his site.

• The lower the RAM/CPU specs the worst will be your speed via OpenVPN. You need at least 512MB RAM to run it properly and don't make compromise with speed. Just my two cents on this :)

• ZeastZeast Member
    edited September 2016

@linuxthefish, I have 2core 3gb RAM 50 hdd 3tb traffic @ 1Gbps - $15/year (ovh bhs)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Malin said: You need at least 512MB RAM to run it properly

I run a few OpenVPN instances. It can be run on systems with almost no RAM (128 MB or less).

I get the impression from the OP that usage will be light so they will not need a lot in the way of resources.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • I may not frequent here often, I'm here for a ticket in the system.

• @JustAMacUser said:

@Malin said: You need at least 512MB RAM to run it properly

I run a few OpenVPN instances. It can be run on systems with almost no RAM (128 MB or less).

I have several at 64MB ram with no problems...

• Well it depends what traffic volumes you're pulling through. On 128MB I never got more than 6MB doing various speedtests. On 1GB one I got full speed provided by the ISP.

• The amount of memory you have shouldn't affect your speed... Maybe the 1GB one has more processor available, or more network speed... Latency also plays a big factor....

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Malin said:
    Well it depends what traffic volumes you're pulling through. On 128MB I never got more than 6MB doing various speedtests. On 1GB one I got full speed provided by the ISP.

I knew this wasn't true so I tried out out myself. This is a 1 core (limited to like 50%), 128mb ram openvz server. Bench in paste below shows 54.9 MB/s fastest (other than CDN probably same datacenter.)

http://pastebin.com/raw/jUSebhZ0

• I knew this wasn't true so I tried out out myself. This is a 1 core (limited to like 50%), 128mb ram openvz server. Bench in paste below shows 54.9 MB/s fastest (other than CDN probably same datacenter.)

http://pastebin.com/raw/jUSebhZ0

It's not about the speed of the VPS itself, the speed is good, it's the speeds you get on your PC when running through OpenVPN via that VPS. I tested from the same network. The 128MB one was only capable of doing like 6MB while the 1GB one was capable of doing full throttle as provided by the local ISP. I documented this on OpenVPN forum before switching to 1GB and everybody seemed to agree there that the VPS specs play a major role in the performance of the network that's routed through the VPN.
    Their forum is full of such topics: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=17676 and most of them conclude that it's the VPS specs that influence the speed, regardless how much you tweak your config or if you use UDP instead of TCP.

I honestly have no reason to come here and waste my time talking bs!

• VPS specs ARE important -- CPU, Network etc... But RAM shouldn't affect speed at all... Have you watched your ram usage while using full speed through your vpn? Does it use up alot more ram?

• I was using the VPS for VPN only because of the shitty local ISP IP's which were always blacklisted and caused my emails to fail. I did notice that when using the 128MB RAM VPS the speeds were 20% of what they were supposed to be, the load wasn't too high as it never surpassed 1 so the CPU wasn't dying of too much activity. The memory was used up all and that's when I began doing research on OpenVPN forum. I tested out several config tweaks and although they brought improvements they never resolved the speed problem in full. So I tested with an upgraded 1GB VPS from ArubaCloud and realized that the 1GB one wasn't doing the same problems and speed was over 90%.

• We offer these types of services in Alberta if your interested.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited September 2016

@FusedIT said:
    their pricing is in Canadian Dollars too just in case you didn't notice, I didn't at first, so it adds up to just under $10USD. (makes it cheaper than mycustomhosting's offer)

i bought the 64mb vps but cant even install an os from the templates in solusvm because out of memory.

tried installing centos 7 but it kernel panics...tried installing debian but got this.
    lol

submitted a ticket. im just surprised i cant even install one of THEIR templates from solusvm

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited September 2016

ya, you made a pretty horrible choice... you should get a refund and spend your $10 a little smarter. Or pay $8 more and get the 512MB. Or see if you can negotiate for 128/256 with him.

• After trying to reinstall like 10-15 times I finally got it working.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited September 2016

@xaitmi said:
    After trying to reinstall like 10-15 times I finally got it working.

That's strange, it just suddenly worked one time?

• @kendid said:

@xaitmi said:
    After trying to reinstall like 10-15 times I finally got it working.

That's strange, it just suddenly worked one time?

yeah was really odd. im just glad everything is working now.

Thanked by 1kendid