Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Dumbest tech of the year award
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Dumbest tech of the year award

    FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    I'm not sure who's been following the Clinton email drama but the latest is gold. Short and skinny is that the tech in question posted a Reddit article in the Exchange sub Reddit asking for help deleting/changing emails for a "very VIP customer".

    http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/19/computer-tech-who-asked-how-to-strip-out-email-addresses-may-have-worked-for-hillary/

    Relevant:

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address

    Comments

    • My comments are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect the opinion of my business

    • jorgemichaelsjorgemichaels Member
      edited September 2016

      high quality post, vouch, +rep

      Thanked by 1GCat
    • Perhaps some of that 2/3rds of a trillion $ spent on the military each year could get their decision makers some half decent IT experience. Some folk......

    • jarjar Provider

      Give this man the award, he earned it.

      Thanked by 3Francisco GCat netomx
    • @jarland said:
      Give this man the award, he earned it.

      Thanked by 4jar ATHK doghouch sdglhm

      My comments are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect the opinion of my business

    • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
      edited September 2016

      You can tell just by the way the guy was talking when he started preaching the fifth and the look on his face how dumb he was.

      I want online voting but I see why the government complains that it would be a security risk.

      Edit: The guy that stayed basically said all they did for security was use fail2ban

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      @MikeA said:
      You can tell just by the way the guy was talking when he started preaching the fifth and the look on his face how dumb he was.

      I want online voting but I see why the government complains that it would be a security risk.

      I wonder if the guy in the youtube video survived.

      Francisco

      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • Thanked by 1raidz

      🐴 Recommended: $20/yr 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $5/TB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

    • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

      @Francisco said:

      @MikeA said:
      You can tell just by the way the guy was talking when he started preaching the fifth and the look on his face how dumb he was.

      I want online voting but I see why the government complains that it would be a security risk.

      I wonder if the guy in the youtube video survived.

      Francisco

      I saw the full video before I think, I'm sure he did... just with a week or two of sitting still.

    • Isn't what she ordered from him illegal for most mere mortals?

      Thanked by 1raidz
    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      @ManofServer said:
      Isn't what she ordered from him illegal for most mere mortals?

      He's destroying evidence I would think. He did before but he played stupid, but now it's publically recorded.

      Please see youtube link for aftermath.

      Francisco

      Thanked by 1ManofServer
      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • hearsay... Since we talked about Hillary let me equalize... down with trump!

      We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out.

    • This entire scandal is B.S.

      People treat emails like phone calls. They shouldn't be considered official documents. If these were SMS texts and not emails - no one would be batting an eye if someone went and pressed "Delete All." If these were phone calls - no one would be batting an eye if she didn't record anything.

      HRC was naive about technology, but that's it.

    • jiggawattz said: People treat emails like phone calls. They shouldn't be considered official documents. If these were SMS texts and not emails - no one would be batting an eye if someone went and pressed "Delete All." If these were phone calls - no one would be batting an eye if she didn't record anything.

      SMS is an official record also, so someone should be batting an eye. There is no reason that these types of messages -- and emails, also -- shouldn't be, if they're being used to conduct government business.

      If government officials don't like it -- well, that sucks for them, doesn't it?

      Thanked by 2daily raidz
      "We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
    • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
      edited September 2016

      @jiggawattz said:
      This entire scandal is B.S.

      People treat emails like phone calls. They shouldn't be considered official documents. If these were SMS texts and not emails - no one would be batting an eye if someone went and pressed "Delete All." If these were phone calls - no one would be batting an eye if she didn't record anything.

      Are you visiting us from the year 1992?

      This whole e-mail thing is probably just a fad . . . and there would absolutely, most certainly be an uproar if SMS messages were deleted and phone recordings were deleted.

      Thanked by 2raidz netomx
    • jiggawattzjiggawattz Member
      edited September 2016

      ihatetonyy said: SMS is an official record also, so someone should be batting an eye. There is no reason that these types of messages -- and emails, also -- shouldn't be, if they're being used to conduct government business.

      Email has replaced what was previously done over the phone or in-person. It's just a modern extension of that - but it just so happens to leave a digital trail. There's this delusional belief in the ultra-transperancy crowd that every minutiae said by our government officials should be recorded and scrutinized, and for some reason society is better off because of it. What really happens? You get a culture of partisan bullcrap, news articles that focus on random sound bites and public statements that are so scripted and carefully worded that it's just empty fakery. If it's going on record - it's not real.

      Ironically - many of these ultra-transparents are also Snowden followers who believe that the government is just so so evil.

    • Microlinux said: This whole e-mail thing is probably just a fad . . . and there would absolutely, most certainly be an uproar if SMS messages were deleted and phone recordings were deleted.

      There might be an uproar inspired by some partisan hackery - but there would certainly be no benefit to the public in examining a bunch of officials' stupid texts.

    • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
      edited September 2016

      @jiggawattz said:
      there would certainly be no benefit to the public in examining a bunch of officials' stupid texts.

      . . . until there was, which is the whole point of any record keeping system

      You generally don't do something because "it probably" isn't useful, at this accountability level.

      While I'm not anti-government, clearly politicians in general can't be trusted to be transparent - no matter what their party affiliation.

      Thanked by 1raidz
    • jiggawattzjiggawattz Member
      edited September 2016

      Microlinux said: . . . until there was, which is the whole point of any record keeping system

      . . . then public officials don't use SMS. They just make a phone call if they want to be "off record."

      "Bitches like texting. I be texting them all the time. Matter of fact, I be texting my weed man too 'cause he don't like being on the phone so I text him." - Ed, from The Boondocks

      It is stupid to believe that government officials shouldn't have access to modern technology in which they can use to have frank, private discussions while they conduct business. I know that HRC used an infamously insecure medium - email - to do this, and that's indeed bad judgement. But the content of her emails is unimportant.

    • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
      edited September 2016

      @jiggawattz said:
      They just make a phone call if they want to be "off record."

      I have news for you . . . in the year 2016, phone calls are not necessarily "off the record".
      They could also go to the top of a mountain and yell at each other during a snowstorm. That doesn't mean it's pointless to collect records in general.

      I think you're missing the point here, which is you capture as much as you can in the event it becomes useful later. That's common practice in both government and industry . . .

    • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

      jiggawattz said: What really happens? You get a culture of partisan bullcrap, news articles that focus on random sound bites and public statements that are so scripted and carefully worded that it's just empty fakery. If it's going on record - it's not real.

      I want to make the conclusion here who of us lives in a post-stalinist dictatorship... your input is biased at the very least.

    • jiggawattz said: There's this delusional belief in the ultra-transperancy crowd that every minutiae said by our government officials should be recorded and scrutinized, and for some reason society is better off because of it.

      It's government business, often conducted on government-owned cell phones or government-owned servers, by people being paid government salaries.

      FOIA allows exemptions so that personnel practices & records and internal deliberative discussion, amongst many other things, are all excluded. The idea that we are invading poor government officials' privacy is absurd on its face.

      Thanked by 1raidz
      "We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
    • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Provider

      @ihatetonyy said:

      jiggawattz said: There's this delusional belief in the ultra-transperancy crowd that every minutiae said by our government officials should be recorded and scrutinized, and for some reason society is better off because of it.

      It's government business, often conducted on government-owned cell phones or government-owned servers, by people being paid government salaries.

      FOIA allows exemptions so that personnel practices & records and internal deliberative discussion, amongst many other things, are all excluded. The idea that we are invading poor government officials' privacy is absurd on its face.

      Agreed. These are people holding public office -- they work for the public -- there ought to be reasonable disclosure of their work-related activities and communications. The same way your boss of a private firm should have a reasonable idea what his/her employees are up to.

      Reprise Hosting (AS62838) Intel Xeon L5520, 1TB SATA, 4GB RAM, 10TB BW, $27/mo with DED10 promo! Cheap dedicated servers.

      VPSHostingDeal.com - Low-cost self-managed OpenVZ + Xen cheap VPS hosting. Plans starting at $12 PER YEAR! Cheap VPS.

    • Microlinux said: I think you're missing the point here, which is you capture as much as you can in the event it becomes useful later. That's common practice in both government and industry . . .

      It shouldn't be (and it actually isn't common at all in private industry) because it discourages people from being blunt and frank in their discussions. Officials and their aides need a venue to hold private conversations knowing that it will be free of partisan scrutiny. It's ridiculous to think that this privacy can't be electronic.

      Mind you - officials should still be required to make public statements on policy, disclose donations, be transparent about contracts and deals and even be bound to their "manifesto commitments" as they are in the UK (a more proper democracy, imho.) But private discussions/debates/internal bickering with aides and colleagues? Nope - that should be private.

    • jiggawattzjiggawattz Member
      edited September 2016

      William said: I want to make the conclusion here who of us lives in a post-stalinist dictatorship... your input is biased at the very least.

      Your country, Israel, is fairly unique in that its existence is controversial and its sovereignty is dependent on foreign protection. Hence Mosad is very good at spying on other countries (both foe and allies) to determine foreign officials' real attitude on "Israel policy." It's kind of important for your country to gauge this sentiment.

      That's much different.

    • @BrianHarrison said:
      Agreed. These are people holding public office -- they work for the public -- there ought to be reasonable disclosure of their work-related activities and communications. The same way your boss of a private firm should have a reasonable idea what his/her employees are up to.

      Yep. Which is why she did everything possible to avoid using the government-issued email account and hardware. If anyone can't see how bad that reeks of corruption, I think they're purposely covering their eyes/ears.

      Thanked by 2raidz ManofServer

      🐴 Recommended: $20/yr 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $5/TB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

    • Harambe said: Yep. Which is why she did everything possible to avoid using the government-issued email account and hardware. If anyone can't see how bad that reeks of corruption, I think they're purposely covering their eyes/ears.

      There was no corruption. There were no "secret deals" made over email from which she profited. The Alt-Right wants to believe something like that, of course, but there's no facts to it.

      The scandal here is that she used insecure technology and possibly (or probably) divulged secrets over it.

      Public servants should have unfettered access to private email just as much as we have private email accounts - and they should be able to communicate with their aides privately.

    • Didn't realize CTR was working overtime, made it all the way over to LET.

      Thanked by 1ManofServer

      🐴 Recommended: $20/yr 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $5/TB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

    • Harambe said: Didn't realize CTR was working overtime, made it all the way over to LET.

      Yes - because anybody that would disagree with you must be shilling for the other side, of course, right?

      Public officials need to be able to discuss contrarian viewpoints and controversial subjects without this partisan hackery. Email should be considered a modern extension of private, in-person conversations.

    Sign In or Register to comment.