Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server request: i7/E3, 32gb+ram, SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server request: i7/E3, 32gb+ram, SSD

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a dedicated server again. Once more I've been eyeing a particular one but I want to see what LET digs up. So:

I'm looking for something very similar to this, or perhaps slightly better (is DDR4 out of the realm of this price range..?) My budget is $80~$100.

The application I wish to host is a simulation that is tends to put intensive load on a single core and uses generous amounts of memory, memory access speed often ending up being the limitation. As such, E5s and X series processors are pretty much off the table. E3-1270v3 or better, or i7-4790k or better, are ideal. The faster the memory is, the better.

Location should be Phoenix, Dallas, or close to that area. IPMI would be great.

I'm looking to make a purchase within a day or two. Thanks for reading!

lastly... @qps , you guys were pretty awesome last time. If you've got any hardware available I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• is it hard limit on Phoenix, Dallas? If not I can provide you:
    D-E3-SSD-2 | Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 | 32GB DDR4 ECC | SSD 2х250GB | 100Mb/s free or 1Gb/s* | 98.30 eur/month (special for you 100$)

• I made this nice little search for ya before seeing the Phoenix/Dallas requirement. If you can put up with Germany, Hetzner is a good option: linky-dink

• Hello and thanks for the comment. That looks like a great server.... however, while it's not a hard limit on those two particular cities, it is a hard limit on that geographical region. Do you have US offerings, or is it Europe only?

• @fxf said:
    I made this nice little search for ya before seeing the Phoenix/Dallas requirement. If you can put up with Germany, Hetzner is a good option: linky-dink

While I might be able to extend it a bit to the wider US or Canada, Europe is a bit far :( Sorry!

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Kiowa QuickPacket has some availability of E3 systems in our two locations. The pricing will depend on your drive configuration. What drive configuration are you looking for?

Los Angeles: E3-1270v2 (32GB DDR3); E3-1270v5 (64GB DDR4)

Atlanta: E3-1270v2 (32GB DDR3); E3-1270v3 (32GB DDR3); E3-1270v5 (64GB DDR4)

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited September 2016

@qps 2x240/256GB SSDs should be acceptable; I don't need a large amount of storage. The 1270v2 is too out of date for my likings; I'd prefer the v5, though I could settle for the v3 (since there's a rather large performance gap between v2 and v3 procs).

• @Kiowa said:

@fxf said:
    I made this nice little search for ya before seeing the Phoenix/Dallas requirement. If you can put up with Germany, Hetzner is a good option: linky-dink

While I might be able to extend it a bit to the wider US or Canada, Europe is a bit far :( Sorry!

Can I ask why? I max out my connection (110+ mbps) to my servers in EU, but I'm closer to the Atlantic than you are, so your peering might not be so great. Maybe, though :D

Also, if you're just renting to run simulations, you're not going to keep renewing it right? Consider OVH's 1-week servers, which are available in CA: linky-trink

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited September 2016

Actually, I do hope to retain the server for a while. That said... The screenshot I linked above is from OVH, so they're definitely a contender. And, I might(/probably will for this level of investment) throw some other apps on there, where having good latency would be nice.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Kiowa said: 2x240/256GB SSDs should be acceptable; I don't need a large amount of storage. The 1270v2 is too out of date for my likings; I'd prefer the v5, though I could settle for the v3 (since there's a rather large performance gap between v2 and v3 procs).

v5 will be significantly more expensive.

We can do the E3-1270v3 with 32GB RAM and 2x250GB SSD for $100/month in Atlanta. If you'd like to proceed, please PM me and we can work out the details.

• I will probably proceed with OVH then (unless there are other offers in this thread), as they offer better performance proc at lower price point and are otherwise equivalent. Still, thanks for checking in and all the best to you.

• Would you take a 1230v3?

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

I can offer you E3-1271v3, 32GB RAM, 2 x 120GB SSD, 1Gbps @30TB traffic, 99$/mo and lower. Location: Lithuania, Europe.

• Kiowa said: Location should be Phoenix, Dallas, or close to that area.

Kiowa said: While I might be able to extend it a bit to the wider US or Canada, Europe is a bit far

@bacloud said:
    I can offer you E3-1271v3, 32GB RAM, 2 x 120GB SSD, 1Gbps @30TB traffic, 99$/mo and lower. Location: Lithuania, Europe.

• Reading is overrated.

It's all about that $$$$$$ man. Welcome to LET!

Thanked by 2fxf jvnadr
  • @VortexMagnus Since I'm a little more worried about running up against memory limitations than CPU limitations... I think a 1230v3 would be workable if it's possible to fit it out with DDR4. But if it's DDR3, well... It looks like OVH's public offering is damn hard to beat, so kudos to them on that.

@irm @FredQC To be fair, they probably have a lot of threads/forums to skim quickly, so I can understand that being overlooked. And I probably should have done bullet points like last time. @bacloud , thanks for chiming in, but I can't work that location.

• @Kiowa

Yeah, stacking against OVH is hard at the best of times...

We can do you a 1230 V3, 32GB RAM for $89.99/month. Central USA location.

• @Kiowa I just found this offer in NC

http://www.tier.net/e3-1270special

Not expensive at all for a E3 V5 ;-)

Thanked by 1NerdyNate
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@FredQc said:
    @Kiowa I just found this offer in NC

That's a great price for an E3 v5.

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited September 2016

@FredQc said:

Eesh, how can they offer that at that price but people struggle to get under $90 or $100 for yesterday's processors here.

Thanks very much for pointing this provider out, definitely going to look into them a bit

edit: And holy sheet they offer 48gb DDR4 for $7 more. This might be a winner... though, I hope their support doesn't end up being terrible or something..

Thanked by 2NerdyNate Scottsman
  • @Kiowa said:

@FredQc said:

Eesh, how can they offer that at that price but people struggle to get under $90 or $100 for yesterday's processors here.

Thanks very much for pointing this provider out, definitely going to look into them a bit

edit: And holy sheet they offer 48gb DDR4 for $7 more. This might be a winner... though, I hope their support doesn't end up being terrible or something..

Eh, no problem. Tried to order one for myself but was marked as fraud by their system. Opened a ticket asking what's going on. Will see what happens next....

• @FredQc said:
    Eh, no problem. Tried to order one for myself but was marked as fraud by their system. Opened a ticket asking what's going on. Will see what happens next....

If you don't mind sharing once you hear back and such... I would be very interested in hearing about your support experience with them, their setup time... and, frankly, if anything seems fishy or off.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

We can do a E3-1230v3 with 32GB RAM and a 500GB SSD out of Dallas for $99 monthly. This comes with a /28 IP block and 10TB Bandwidth on a 1Gbps Port. This also comes with IPMI!

Let me know if you are interested, thanks!

• The i7 got a better score because of it's integrated GPU and other minimal factors like general score from Passmark where most people are overclocking their i7s.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/8052596?baseline=7707433

Pretty similar isn't it ? ;-)

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • FredQcFredQc Member
    edited September 2016

@Kiowa said:

@FredQc said:

If you don't mind sharing once you hear back and such... I would be very interested in hearing about your support experience with them, their setup time... and, frankly, if anything seems fishy or off.

They answered my ticket in 6 minutes. They asked me why I ordered the server and what would be the utility of it. They seems a little bit strict, but that's good news I think. At least they reply quickly. So after that I finally got the invoice generated for me and paid. But now, I have to wait a few days for it to be provisioned has there is no stock available... -_-

Hopes this helps

Thanked by 1NerdyNate
  • @FredQc said:

@Kiowa said:

@FredQc said:

They answered my ticket in 6 minutes. They asked me why I ordered the server and what would be the utility of it. They seems a little bit strict, but that's good news I think. At least they reply quickly. So after that I finally got the invoice generated for me and paid. But now, I have to wait a few days for it to be provisioned has there is no stock available... -_-

Hopes this helps

Fancy advertising something that's not in stock ^^

• @VortexMagnus said:

@FredQc said:

@Kiowa said:

@FredQc said:

Hopes this helps

Fancy advertising something that's not in stock ^^

It's often like that, unfortunately.

• KiowaKiowa Member
    edited September 2016

That's... an interesting benchmark, other benchmarks I looked at showed that the 1270v5 closed the gap between E3s and the i7s significantly. Though the i7 still won out.

OTOH, the benchmark @FredQc linked shows the E3 having better memory performance in at least that specific configuration, which is nice for me.

--

All that said, I think I am going to try Tier. Might be a 'too good to be true' host, but if they don't work out, I'll be going with OVH. Thank you everyone that stopped in.

• If buying the hardware you want to use is an option, I can colocate you in Phoenix. Probably a low base rate like $50 a month for rack space and power, plus transit billing on actual usage 95th percentile.

• We can offer much better on this one on your budget can you please add us on skype or PM me your skype

Skype=SpecialRDP

This discussion has been closed.