Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Based VPS - Choice overload - cant see the wood for the trees
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Based VPS - Choice overload - cant see the wood for the trees

RancidMRancidM Member
edited March 2013 in General

i currently have one VPS.
its cheap as chips and with a well respected host in the USA.
I'm however based in the UK and I'm finding the performance of the VPS to be lacking.
this is in no way a slight towards the VPS Host, i knew they where in the USA when i took the VPS.

However 26 hops across the world via the level13 transatlantic link is starting to wind me up.

my current VPS is
25GB disk space (only use 4GB)
256MB/512MB (Dedicated/Burst) idles around 50%
1TB Bandwidth - average use 15 GB per month.

I have asked my VPS host if they plan to offer nodes in the UK and they do not, which given the very low lost of their VPS seems a reasonable stance to take.

im sure if i lived in the USA the performance of the VPS would be sterling.

i currently pay $40 per year for the specs above.
Also included in the price is free use of DNS servers for my domains.

can anyone suggest a nice UK based VPS or global based VPS with nodes in the UK for a comparable price ?

again to be fair to the current VPS host they have been nothing but excellent and worth every penny.
i cant imagine they have made much profit out of my $40 VPS but have still treated me as a valued customer.
its a shame to move but the 26 hops is a killer....

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

HTTPZoom do this plan:

OVM - 256B 256MB 10GB 512MB 750GB 1 £24/yr

Works out at $37 a year roughly. I highly recommend them, I've had plans with them for a year or so now, rock solid.

• Cheers for the heads up.
    Price seem good enough.
    Have dropped them an email asking about DNS hosting and also for a link to a test file.

• RophRoph Member
    edited March 2013

I have 2 UK boxes with MiniVPS, one is 128+128vswap / 15GB / 500GB for £1.50/month, and it's very quick. From my Virgin Media connection I see 9 hops to it, ~10-20ms latency. Try a speedtest here. I got it on an offer, though I'm sure if you pm'd @MartinD he'd set you up :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I don't think you'll get DNS hosting, HTTPZoom are a bare-bones operation, you don't get any extras. If DNS hosting with a provider is that important (and cloudflare or Rage4's free plans aren't an option for you), try AllSimple. They were quite decent the last time I used them, and they used to offer DNS hosting. You might need to get a custom plan to meet your budget though, they haven't done a LEB offer for ages.

• MartinMartin Member
    edited March 2013

@Nekki said: try AllSimple. They were quite decent the last time I used them, and they used to offer DNS hosting. You might need to get a custom plan to meet your budget though, they haven't done a LEB offer for ages.

Thank you! Our offers here are still valid: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6385/uk-allsimple.net-xen-ssd-vps-512mb-at-4.40month

Let me know if you have any questions