Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtWire Global is shutting down?! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtWire Global is shutting down?!

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have looked in to it many times, I am yet to find a config that will actually work in the les environment, I would love to expand the feature set if someone wants to come up with a sample config I will be happy to test it, so far every method I have tried has failed.

So that's NAT servers sharing up to 3 IP's on simfs, paths keys etc need to be taken in to account and the fact that almost everyone will be using lets encrypt, because who pays 1.99 for a server and 10 on an ssl certificate :)

There are no keys involved with sniproxy . You are not encrypting any traffic. It just inspects the header and forwards traffic to the internal IP the same way haproxy does for HTTP traffic. All you need to know is the hostname and the corresponding IP.
    Encryption is done by the user directly on the intetnal IP, paths and keys are not in the scope of the reverse proxy. Have you looked into sniproxy or were you looking into doing the SSL encryption on the proxy machine?

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited September 2016

My little NAT Boxes with just 64Mb ram I will miss them (Total cost 5.20 USD)

KC -- never knew its still alive

root@KC01:~# uptime
     07:56:53 up 200 days, 17:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01
    root@KC01:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 07:57:14 EDT 2016
    root@KC01:~# uptime --pretty
    up 28 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes

NC -- got a good uptime with this one

root@NC01:~# uptime
     07:58:37 up 184 days,  6:11,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01
    root@NC01:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 07:58:42 EDT 2016

Sweden --reinstalled OS for no reason

root@Sweden01:~# uptime
     07:57:25 up 23 days, 23:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
    root@Sweden01:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 07:57:29 EDT 2016

Russia -- rebooted myself

root@RU01:~# uptime
     17:31:59 up 19 days,  2:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.05
    root@RU01:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 17:32:02 IST 2016

France --never had a trouble -very stable box for an longtime

root@FR01:~# uptime
     08:07:04 up 248 days,  9:11,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    root@FR01:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 08:07:08 EDT 2016

Germany --just got an reboot for maintenance

root@DE-Falkenstein:~# uptime
     08:07:06 up 14 days,  1:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    root@DE-Falkenstein:~# date
    Mon Sep 19 08:07:10 EDT 2016

• Nekki said: What's curious here is why no-one is prepared to take over the existing nodes...

Probably oversold, bad buisness model, current provider has jacked prices up due to a special promo ending or something along those lines. There's gotta be a reason if more than a couple of interested patrons have turned their nose up at it.

• @eastonch said:

Nekki said: What's curious here is why no-one is prepared to take over the existing nodes...

Probably oversold, bad buisness model, current provider has jacked prices up due to a special promo ending or something along those lines. There's gotta be a reason if more than a couple of interested patrons have turned their nose up at it.

Rhetorical question bud. Fairly obvious what the problem was, you can't base a business around the LES model.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@simonindia said:
    My little NAT Boxes with just 64Mb ram I will miss them

Yes, I completely agree. I have/had 9 boxes with Virtwire. Made me kind of sad when I got the email on Saturday that Ryan's closing down.

I wish all the best for Ryan, I hope everything will work out well for him.

• so why just me here never got email announcement about closing down?

are just LES user??

• @add_iT said:
    so why just me here never got email announcement about closing down?

are just LES user??

I am on the megavz plans and got two mails, one from Ryan and a second from David (gdbi)

• I have/had both NanoVZ (LES and still working) and BudgetVZ (not LES and no longer working) with different contact e-mails.

I've only received information about the closure(s) on the NanoVZ e-mail, nothing on the BudgetVZ e-mail.

But on the back of that I did contact Ryan through Paypal with regard to the dysfunctional BudgetVZ I'd had for less than a month, and he was quite amenable to a refund.

The only issue being Paypal themselves, who's resolution software [in beta] seems a bit flaky, I was unable to accept the refund offer Ryan made without getting Paypal involved to do it on my behalf, no amount of clicking 'accept offer' by me would actually progress the case.

• This is my summary of the current situation, as far as I've been able to determine:

VirtWire's billing panel isn't accessible;
    if you have a NAT server, you've received an email about what to do;
    if you have a non-NAT server (one with a dedicated IPv4):
        you haven't received an email about what to do;
        if your non-NAT server is down:
            if you paid with PayPal no more than 180 days ago:
                you can request a refund via PayPal (and should receive at least a prorated refund);
            if you paid with PayPal more than 180 days ago:
                you can lick your wounds (and should move on);
        if your non-NAT server is up:
            if you request a refund via PayPal, you won't receive (even) a prorated refund;
            you can hope that your non-NAT server continues to stay up;

Please let me know if any of this is inaccurate! I've heard that there are plans to transfer at least NL01 (which is up) to another provider, but I have no details.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited September 2016

You forgot the part that mentions backups

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • teamacc said: You forgot the part that mentions backups

Okay, yes, but let's say that backups are implicit. After all, they aren't specific to the current situation.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@elwebmaster said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have looked in to it many times, I am yet to find a config that will actually work in the les environment, I would love to expand the feature set if someone wants to come up with a sample config I will be happy to test it, so far every method I have tried has failed.

So that's NAT servers sharing up to 3 IP's on simfs, paths keys etc need to be taken in to account and the fact that almost everyone will be using lets encrypt, because who pays 1.99 for a server and 10 on an ssl certificate :)

There are no keys involved with sniproxy . You are not encrypting any traffic. It just inspects the header and forwards traffic to the internal IP the same way haproxy does for HTTP traffic. All you need to know is the hostname and the corresponding IP.
    Encryption is done by the user directly on the intetnal IP, paths and keys are not in the scope of the reverse proxy. Have you looked into sniproxy or were you looking into doing the SSL encryption on the proxy machine?

Rather than derail this post further I will set up a test node and drop you a pm, it's been 6 months at least since I last looked at it.

Thanked by 2yomero elwebmaster
  • netrixnetrix Member
    edited September 2016

billing panel still accessible through http..

• I'm not surprised that they collapse,Close VPS services are free, do not give any explanation, bad service attitude a little, so that the integrity of the company are not, do not collapse is not normal

• netrix said: billing panel still accessible through http..

You must have remembered the URL of the billing panel. By the way, can you submit tickets?

At any rate, there's no link to the billing panel from EvoBurst/VirtWire's main page.

• @jarod said:
    I'm not surprised that they collapse...

Neither am I. While other vps-hosters offer just a few vps for low promo-price, Virtwire kept offering vps for unsustainably low price all the time. Guessing from my vps (they started to kill my processes as soon as my vps used more than 5% of RAM), they must have oversold HW by at least 20:1 ratio!

This business model simply can not work. And they must have known it right from the beginning! That's why I do not want to let them have my money for which I basically did not receive anything usable...

• @angstrom said:
    This is my summary of the current situation, as far as I've been able to determine:

VirtWire's billing panel isn't accessible;
    if you have a NAT server, you've received an email about what to do;
    if you have a non-NAT server (one with a dedicated IPv4):
        you haven't received an email about what to do;
        if your non-NAT server is down:
            if you paid with PayPal no more than 180 days ago:
                you can request a refund via PayPal (and should receive at least a prorated refund);
            if you paid with PayPal more than 180 days ago:
                you can lick your wounds (and should move on);
        if your non-NAT server is up:
            if you request a refund via PayPal, you won't receive (even) a prorated refund;
            you can hope that your non-NAT server continues to stay up;

Please let me know if any of this is inaccurate! I've heard that there are plans to transfer at least NL01 (which is up) to another provider, but I have no details.

And my VPS on NL01 just went down. Looks like VirtWire officially bites the dust.

• K4Y5 said: And my VPS on NL01 just went down. Looks like VirtWire officially bites the dust.

Mine as well -- it doesn't look good. :-(

If we try to be optimistic, perhaps we're being transferred to a new provider, and so the shutdown is temporary (but I'm afraid that I don't have a good reason to believe this).

• The same here: VPS on NL01 down, CP can not get its status, client-portal can not access support...

• sdlnvsdlnv Member
    edited September 2016

My NL01 non-NAT server is down, I didn't get any notice about this, will I be able to recover my data?
    The worst is not the downtime but the lack of communication.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@sdlnv said:
    My NL01 non-NAT server is down, I didn't get any notice about this, will I be able to recover my data?

What do you mean "lack of communication"? There were two emails sent out about the upcoming closure. And if you didn't keep a backup of your data, then you basically have to blame yourself. The LES NAT VPS were strictly no SLA, no guarantee products.

• @tomle said:
    What do you mean "lack of communication"? There were two emails sent out about the upcoming closure. And if you didn't keep a backup of your data, then you basically have to blame yourself. The LES NAT VPS were strictly no SLA, no guarantee products.

Seems not everybody got these emails. For example I did not. All the info about VirtWire's current problems I got here...

Thanked by 1sdlnv
  • I didn't get any emails about anything going down nor did I get a response to a ticket.
    Seems it was a one man show https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/lj_B5OrtgCWELJhJdK9fSRJqP4w/appointments and run from https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bySearchId.jspx?searchId=602950881&searchIdType=BUSN&_adf.ctrl-state=eukev1hlk_4

You can make complaints about him to www.cbs.sa.gov.au, not sure if they will do much.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

@chander said:
    I didn't get any emails about anything going down nor did I get a response to a ticket.
    Seems it was a one man show https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/lj_B5OrtgCWELJhJdK9fSRJqP4w/appointments and run from https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bySearchId.jspx?searchId=602950881&searchIdType=BUSN&_adf.ctrl-state=eukev1hlk_4

You can make complaints about him to www.cbs.sa.gov.au, not sure if they will do much.

Nothing surprising there. I knew all along it was a one man show.

Regardless, the tosser should have sent an email out apprising the end users of the convoluted pump and dump operation that he was about to shut down. (I never heard a single word from the guy. NO emails or response to my ticket either)

And no, I honestly don't give a flying fuck about how 'nice' he really was to a few of you, when in reality, he was a rude over-seller with a bad attitude problem without any business sense, who finally tricked people of their money and ran away.

/EndOfRant

Thanked by 1switsys
  • tomle said: What do you mean "lack of communication"? There were two emails sent out about the upcoming closure. And if you didn't keep a backup of your data, then you basically have to blame yourself. The LES NAT VPS were strictly no SLA, no guarantee products.

Remember that NAT and non-NAT customers haven't received the same treatment so far: NAT customers have received an email, whereas non-NAT customers have not. (See my summary above.)

Perhaps there's still some hope that at least some of the non-NAT servers will be taken over by other providers.

• chander said: Seems it was a one man show

It always surprises me how young these guys are.

• KobeKobe Member
    edited September 2016

@K4Y5 said:

@chander said:
    I didn't get any emails about anything going down nor did I get a response to a ticket.

Nothing surprising there. I knew all along it was a one man show.

Regardless, the tosser should have sent an email out apprising the end users of the convoluted pump and dump operation that he was about to shut down. (I never heard a single word from the guy. NO emails or response to my ticket either)

And no, I honestly don't give a flying fuck about how 'nice' he really was to a few of you, when in reality, he was a rude over-seller with a bad attitude problem without any business sense, who finally tricked people of their money and ran away.

/EndOfRant

Unpopular opinion but:

Good riddance. Virtwire/Evoburst was the only provider I ever had a truly bad experience with. Dismissive incompetent staff, horrid service, ignoring every ticket that indicated something that would require more than 5 minutes of work, and a general asshole-y attitude by Ryan, Wesley and Co. were warning flags well before their deadpooling, in addition to unethical business practices like leaving ID scans in unencrypted zip files in public web directories.

Honestly fuck them. I think they had it coming for what it is, and LET is substantially better off without them.

I'm sure Ryan was a nice guy to many people, but for me personally, he was a bitter person in nearly every interaction I've had with him. This is not to refute that his deposition is cheery, but my encounters are universally negative, and I think that's the case for many folks here. Of course, granted, this position isn't universal, and people are welcome to cheer for or against Ryan in this case.

In addition, Wesley I think, was worse than Ryan on all accounts, in contrast, I can at least like Ryan from a technical standpoint.

• I had 5 servers with them and a couple stopped working a while ago. I couldn't be bothered to open a ticked since they were so cheap anyway. Now my problems are solved!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @tomle said:

@sdlnv said:

The last email I received from Virtwire was in May, and it was a payment receipt. The last announcement I received was in February. I don't use those servers for anything important, I just wanted to scavenge some of the latest configuration files if possible, I'm not blaming anyone since I don't even need that stuff.

As I said I'm not even complaining about the downtimes, what's ridiculous is that without doing research I wouldn't know what's happening right now. The last announcement on the website is from September 7th:

Hello
    OVZ-WA01 & BVZ-WA01 are currently down, We are aware of the issue and are working on getting a resolution with Incero.

--- at current, it seems as though a resolution with Incero will not be coming to light. A post will go out shortly to announce this.

It does not even mention the NL node which was going up and down and now looks to be dead.

I did just read the email posted on this discussion, and it does say:

At current, this email is only sent to those on NAT IPv4 plans, as we have not reached an agreement with any other providers about the Dedicated IPv4 locations as of yet.

I have just two Dedicated IPv4 servers, so it looks like I'm not entitled to know that the company is shutting down.

• sdlnv said: I have just two Dedicated IPv4 servers, so it looks like I'm not entitled to know that the company is shutting down.

A number of us are in the same situation.

In retrospect, that announcement from 07 September that you cite signaled the beginning of the end.