Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtWire Global is shutting down?! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtWire Global is shutting down?!

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Whoever thinks good riddance, remember this was a price depressant and something many people made use of. As i read the guy was nice too and is issuing refunds.
    Hate is easy, contributing hard.

• @Dilstar said:
    also please confirm about crissic, are they also closing the busienss, as they are not taking payment of yearly etc

Go read any of the Crissic threads post recently, you'll see what's going on with them.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • For all the weird customer service issues in the past, Ryan is being pretty good about this. Refunds are indeed being issued, I got the remaining 6 months of my server back via Paypal dispute.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Because this came as a surprise I will personally re-evaluate what this means for LES going forward, Ryan was by far the biggest provider that was part of LES with iirc some 8,000+ containers, I dont know what percentage was LES but it must have been significant.

I'd imagine a bunch of people had multiple containers thanks to his great combo offers. I picked up a collection of 5 and was considering more.

FWIW I'm looking at your 256MB Dallas offer right now. If I got 2 of them would it be possible to combine them to get a 512MB RAM container?

Thanked by 1JustRefleX
  • Why did he close the service I'm not surprised it ?

• @jarland can you fix the spelling mistake in the title, it's doing my head in...

Thanked by 1yomero
  • ATHK said: @jarland can you fix the spelling mistake in the title, it's doing my head in...

Shuttd up.

Fixed :P

• Shame to see this happen. Hope everyone can get their money back. Seems very likely as Paypal is very consumer friendly.

• @HonestVPS said:
    Shame to see this happen. Hope everyone can get their money back. Seems very likely as Paypal is very consumer friendly.

Why open PayPal dispute when there is a migration path offered?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • elwebmaster said: Why open PayPal dispute when there is a migration path offered?

The migration path is for NAT customers. As of now, there's still no email to non-NAT customers about what has happened. Officially, non-NAT customers haven't heard anything.

By the way, NL01 is still up, but VirtWire's billing/control panel is no longer accessible (yesterday, it was still accessible).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

ajgarett said: FWIW I'm looking at your 256MB Dallas offer right now. If I got 2 of them would it be possible to combine them to get a 512MB RAM container?

ask that on the lowendspirit forums.

• JarryJarry Member
    edited September 2016

@angstrom said:

By the way, NL01 is still up, but VirtWire's billing/control panel is no longer accessible (yesterday, it was still accessible).

As of now, I can access CP, but not Support (my.virtwire.com/clientarea.php). At least they found a way to stop ticket-influx...

• Come on guys. If you had to put money on GestionDBI, VirtWire, Ransom or inception to die. It was virtwire. One man running upwards of 8000 containers?

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
    Come on guys. If you had to put money on GestionDBI, VirtWire, Ransom or inception to die. It was virtwire. One man running upwards of 8000 containers?

True, I've never used GestionDBI but the rest I have, Virtwire being the worst out of the bunch in the LES range.

However Ryan was quite nice when I hit support up about their shitty network... even though I wasn't supposed to do that..

• Jarry said: As of now, I can access CP, but not Support (my.virtwire.com/clientarea.php). At least they found a way to stop ticket-influx...

You must mean the Solus control panel. I always simply used the control panel (I don't know its name) available directly within the client area. But, yes, there were probably a lot of tickets being submitted ...

• OpticalSwoosh said: One man running upwards of 8000 containers?

Well, it was hard to see such details as a customer. But it's true that the prices (especially the numerous discounted offers) probably weren't sustainable over a longer period.

@Zen said:
    Do any of the LES providers just automate everything as much as possible, or are you handling it all manually (including the NAT ports)?

Can't speak for all providers but most things are automated.
    Inception has self-service when adding domains that should be forwarded on port 80. Feature is available in SolusVM.

• elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
    edited September 2016

@mikho said:

@Zen said:
    Do any of the LES providers just automate everything as much as possible, or are you handling it all manually (including the NAT ports)?

Inception has self-service when adding domains that should be forwarded on port 80. Feature is available in SolusVM.

It sucks they never bothered to put sniproxy for SSL, such a waste. If you already have everything automated how hard can it be to add sniproxy and offer your customers proper SSL support? The service would be so much more useful if they did this.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Too bad actually, I have/had 12 containters with Virtwire (Atlanta, Kansas City, Seattle, Los Angeles, Lenoir, Dusseldorf, 2x Falkenstein, Strasbourg, Miami, St. Petersburg and Stockholm) and while some of them went up and down a lot, I've actually been very happy with what has been offered at that price point.

I also have servers with GestionDBI and while I will take up the offer to move some servers there, their price is higher than what I've been paying to Virtwire so I'll have to say good bye to quite a few of those. Let's hope that the Falkenstein and LA locations will be stable.

@elwebmaster said:

It sucks they never bothered to put sniproxy for SSL, such a waste. If you already have everything automated how hard can it be to add sniproxy and offer your customers proper SSL support? The service would be so much more useful if they did this.

I'm sure that if you post your experience with sniproxy on the lowendspirit forums and suggest that the providers implement it, they will listen to your request.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@elwebmaster said:

@mikho said:

@Zen said:

When LowEndSpirit was initially set up, we looked at SNI-based proxying as well, but at that time there were no stable options for this. It's quite possible that the LES providers simply haven't looked into it any further since that time, and aren't aware of the existence of sniproxy.

So yeah, I'd recommend creating a thread on the LES forums :)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

joepie91 said: When LowEndSpirit was initially set up, we looked at SNI-based proxying as well, but at that time there were no stable options for this. It's quite possible that the LES providers simply haven't looked into it any further since that time, and aren't aware of the existence of sniproxy.

Inception uses HAProxy and when that was written, version 1.5 was yet to be released.

(feels like I'm beating a dead horse :) )

• @elwebmaster said:

@mikho said:

@Zen said:

You could just use cloudflare IPv4 to v6 to get around using LESs proxy.. it's essentially the same thing, but you have more control..

ATHK said: You could just use cloudflare IPv4 to v6 to get around using LESs proxy.. it's essentially the same thing, but you have more control..

@elwebmaster

http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=2617

edited September 2016

mikho said: Inception uses HAProxy and when that was written, version 1.5 was yet to be released.

I am aware. I was the one who made the original recommendation for that ;)

That's a really bad idea. You won't get TLS between CloudFlare and the origin server.

• @joepie91 said:

mikho said: Inception uses HAProxy and when that was written, version 1.5 was yet to be released.

That's a really bad idea. You won't get TLS between CloudFlare and the origin server.

You can get TLS as you can just do port 443 on IPv6, CloudFlare reverse-proxies. Still, what's the use of having a server in say ZA or HK if you can't setup low-latency access for local users? Who knows where CloudFlare will route you through, especially on the free plan. Although I do support (and use) CloudFlare all the time.

Sniproxy is essentially the same thing as HAProxy, that's why I am saying it's just another package that needs to be installed on the server, same config.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@elwebmaster said:

@joepie91 said:

You can get TLS as you can just do port 443 on IPv6, CloudFlare reverse-proxies. Still, what's the use of having a server in say ZA or HK if you can't setup low-latency access for local users? Who knows where CloudFlare will route you through, especially on the free plan. Although I do support (and use) CloudFlare all the time.

Sniproxy is essentially the same thing as HAProxy, that's why I am saying it's just another package that needs to be installed on the server, same config.

If your so worried about it then just pay more than a few dollars a year for a server. You can't expect all these features for the price you are paying.

elwebmaster said: You can get TLS as you can just do port 443 on IPv6, CloudFlare reverse-proxies.

I'm specifically referring to the tutorial that was linked, which instructs how to set up "Flexible SSL", which means you don't have TLS between CF and the origin server.

(Then again, even if you do use "Full SSL", you still have a security problem.)

elwebmaster said: Sniproxy is essentially the same thing as HAProxy, that's why I am saying it's just another package that needs to be installed on the server, same config.

Hence, create a thread on the forums :)

• @joepie91 said:
    (Then again, even if you do use "Full SSL", you still have a security problem.)

Yes, I know about this, when CloudFlare first introduced support for SSL I mentioned this problem in a number of threads. Since then I have mostly accepted it. Why? Because in my opinion SSL is broken by design. Do you trust the organizations listed here: https://mozillacaprogram.secure.force.com/CA/IncludedCACertificateReport more than CloudFlare? Because if only ONE of these organizations is rogue it can cause just as much damage as CloudFlare sitting in the middle of your traffic. That's why I think the way CloudFlare is doing SSL is a problem, but it's the least of our problems with web security.

Hence, create a thread on the forums :)

Will it make a difference to put in the forums? I don't think I have an account there. I believe @AnthonySmith and the other LET providers are active on LET so they know about sniproxy and they know it's exactly the same as haproxy but with added support for SSL passthrough.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

I have looked in to it many times, I am yet to find a config that will actually work in the les environment, I would love to expand the feature set if someone wants to come up with a sample config I will be happy to test it, so far every method I have tried has failed.

So that's NAT servers sharing up to 3 IP's on simfs, paths keys etc need to be taken in to account and the fact that almost everyone will be using lets encrypt, because who pays 1.99 for a server and 10 on an ssl certificate :)

elwebmaster said: Do you trust the organizations listed here: https://mozillacaprogram.secure.force.com/CA/IncludedCACertificateReport more than CloudFlare? Because if only ONE of these organizations is rogue it can cause just as much damage as CloudFlare sitting in the middle of your traffic.

Not entirely true. The problem with CF is that it's a constant MITM, and one that has been accepted as "legitimate" by many people, so any compromise from their end would be completely unnoticed.

However, if a CA were to go rogue, that's a noisy event and people are going to notice it, especially with more and more CA metrics being kept everywhere. CF is absolutely a bigger problem than the CA system as a whole, because there's no way to keep track of what CF is doing.

Thanked by 2yomero BeardyUnixGuy