Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS Yum update problem. Playing around with 'Host in a Box'
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS Yum update problem. Playing around with 'Host in a Box'

FreekFreek Member
edited March 2013 in General

I am using this neat OS template 'Host in a box' based upon CentOS and I must say I am impressed by the ease of 'setting it up'.
However I am having som issues updating CentOS itself.
After disabling the fastmirror plugin, since this is a LEB it didn't run properly because it didn't have enough RAM, it complains about the following:

Running rpm_check_debug
ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
qmail is needed by ripmime-toaster
qmail is needed by courier-authlib-toaster
qmail is needed by simscan-toaster
smtpdaemon is needed by fetchmail
qmail-toaster is needed by (installed) courier-imap-toaster
Complete!
(1, ['Please report this error in bugzilla'])

So my solution was to remove qmail and to reinstall it afterwards. Problem is that qmail has several depencies that will removed as well which breaks quite a lot.
I found just 1 user on the web with exactly the same problem but sadly without a solution (http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/16w2tb/centos_yum_update_problem_requesting_help_from/)
Do you guys have an idea how I can fix it so CentOS can update without issues?
If it's too much of a hassle, I'll set it up on Ubuntu. I just liked this concept, pretty neat :)

Comments

• Little off topic --

Edit named.conf and set recursion to no, otherwise you'll be an unwilling participant in DNS amplifications attacks when someone stumbles on the box.

• earlearl Member

What i notice is that if you try to update HIB, it pretty much becomes unusable.. I know you are only trying to update centos but thought you should know.

• @connercg So that is the hole that is discussed in the cloudflare blog post about DNS servers facilitating these attacks? Seems an easy fix. I'll check all my BIND configs.

• innyainnya Member

I don't think kloxo work on Ubuntu.
    kloxo works ok on on 128m.

• innyainnya Member

it works fine on cento 5.x.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

It can be updated, I did it myself a few times, however,t he kloxo install does not work updating from web interface, will give http 500 at one time, need to be updated from CLI.
    Update Kloxo first.

• FreekFreek Member

@connercg said: Little off topic --

Edit named.conf and set recursion to no, otherwise you'll be an unwilling participant in DNS amplifications attacks when someone stumbles on the box.

Thanks for the headsup!

@earl said: What i notice is that if you try to update HIB, it pretty much becomes unusable.. I know you are only trying to update centos but thought you should know.

Hmm OK, so it basically relies on specific packages, right?

@Maounique said: It can be updated, I did it myself a few times, however,t he kloxo install does not work updating from web interface, will give http 500 at one time, need to be updated from CLI.

Update Kloxo first.

I am doing this from the CLI. I'll try and update Kloxo first.

Thanks!

• @Freek to answer your OP, no. And I'm sure you see all the guides steering you towards rebuilds... This is why I got away from CentOS

You will have a few hundred early gray hairs before you realize how bad and unnecessary it is to build from source

• @MTUser2012 yes this is the issue that was discussed. ZPanel had this issue, and it was corrected and committed to their code when I among others advised the devs of the issue. I became aware of it when a VPS with one of the bigger providers here was suspended for network abuse. I had Kloxo installed on the VPS and low and behold -- recursion was set to yes, I nuked the VPS and loaded Nginx and uninstalled bind.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I periodically see named abusing the CPU even... It is not so visible in our case since there is a lot of traffic with the plans and we are used with ppl doing 100mbps+ for extended periods of time, but when named goes abusing the CPU then you know the problem is huge.

• FreekFreek Member

bind was abusing my CPU for some reason. Anyway, I know enough for now. Basically just don't update CentOS if jusing Host-in-a-Box....