Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

limited special dedicated at ovh.de - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

limited special dedicated at ovh.de

Comments

• Really sweet deal....!

• Idea: Everyone who got a server and is able to do so, chips in a couple of € to @Falzo to thank him for bringing this insane deal to our collective attention and help him get his first 1-2 months of service for free.

• Once again, thanks for this wonderful deal. Gonna do a complete switch from 4 providers to OVH now. I've been running on SyS for 4 years now, no problems, time to get my hands dirty :D

Thanked by 2bashlyk dgprasetya
  • So, those of you who would like to use the server in RAID-10 really do the install via IPMI? I don't even get it to run here, neither via their Browser Console, nor via Java (crashed everytime)...

• Wah... almost 70% OFF if VAT is waived (I use FR OVH). So surprising... It will be better if there is BHS DC as a choice!

• @Amitz said:

I am afraid this is the only way, if you want to avoid that weird ovh policies on their templates...

if you need, I probably can help you out on that ipmi installation thing, somehow I have done this today already ;-)

@akhfa said:

@bashlyk said:
    Will Proxmox work on this box with software RAID?

I think yes. The worst case is you must install debian first and setup softraid manually, and then install proxmox. But I don't try it yet. Maybe @Falzo can answer your question :)

Edited:

Sorry I don't see @Falzo answer before.

This is Proxmox statement
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID

I'd say this statement is rather old. from my experiences there is nothing to be afraid, when using software raid underlying proxmox. in fact I do have multiple boxes doing just that ;-)

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • @fsgmhoward said:
    Wah... almost 70% OFF if VAT is waived (I use FR OVH). So surprising... It will be better if there is BHS DC as a choice!

https://us.ovh.com/us/cgi-bin/newOrder/order.cgi?hard=154casp10

It's now listed as 10 days delivery time but was 72 hours previously.

Also i dont understand what you mean with 70% off if not paying VAT in FR? are you saying you pay VAT that is 70%?

• @Nekki said:
    Idea: Everyone who got a server and is able to do so, chips in a couple of € to @Falzo to thank him for bringing this insane deal to our collective attention and help him get his first 1-2 months of service for free.

I have no problem with that, i'll send someone a dollarz just to know if the hardware can run esxi 6 so i dont have to signup and waste a months payment on a unused machine.

• Falzo said: if you need, I probably can help you out on that ipmi installation thing, somehow I have done this today already ;-)

Maybe you can write tutorial here or write on blog if you have spare time. I'm pretty sure many people search tutorial like this on specific provider :D

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited September 2016

@zrunner said:

I have no problem with that, i'll send someone a dollarz just to know if the hardware can run esxi 6 so i dont have to signup and waste a months payment on a unused machine.

Yes, it is capable of running native ESXi 6. But due to software-raid i suggest to go with Proxmox + Raid 10 + LUKS encryption + Cluster Proxmox (thats the way i do it)

• In the German OVH forum someone raised a question if this price is only valid for the first three months or not, like the other offers.

Regarding to the first answer, even the support/sales don't know if the price is also recurring valid after the first three months.

• @fLoo said:
    Yes, it is capable of running native ESXi 6. But due to software-raid i suggest to go with Proxmox + Raid 10 + LUKS encryption + Cluster Proxmox (thats the way i do it)

But setting it up using ipmi/kvm i would not need to use software-raid i was hoping or is it somehow (O_o) locked in so you're not able to set the drives up as single drives?

I use vCenter so i meant to get a machine in BHS and one i GRA and add to my cluster and have them replace some other machines, which is why im only interested in running esxi 6 with single drives.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@twiigl said:
    In the German OVH forum someone raised a question if this price is only valid for the first three months or not, like the other offers.

Regarding to the first answer, even the support/sales don't know if the price is also recurring valid after the first three months.

Well if you choose the monthly lease or for 12 month it give the same price:

http://imgur.com/a/hwRki

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited September 2016

Goodbye bank balance. I hope they won't increase the renewal on this since ordering it. Could someone possibly hit me with a PM regarding Proxmox as I've never had the pleasure of installing it or needing it before haha!

It doesn't mention but is the 500GB Backup storage free or?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2016

GRA seems to be a bit Red, serveral uplinks at 80%

http://weathermap.ovh.net/#gravelines

But I guess should be fine.

• Yep, 500 GB Backup for free :)

• @Neoon said:
    GRA seems to be a bit Red, serveral uplinks at 80%

http://weathermap.ovh.net/#gravelines

But I guess should be fine.

seens that before, would say it depends if this may be related to a lot of new servers going online and just getting set up, running benches and such. or if this like normal... will definitely keep an eye on ;-)

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited September 2016

Just incase they increase the pricing or say its "limited" in time by price, here you got a proof:

• @akhfa said:

Falzo said: if you need, I probably can help you out on that ipmi installation thing, somehow I have done this today already ;-)

Maybe you can write tutorial here or write on blog if you have spare time. I'm pretty sure many people search tutorial like this on specific provider :D

already thought about that some times, but mostly don't find that spare time to do that. I am more like lazy. or posting into boards directly if someone needs help ;-)

• lisingelisinge Member
    edited September 2016

@Falzo said:

@akhfa said:

Falzo said: if you need, I probably can help you out on that ipmi installation thing, somehow I have done this today already ;-)

already thought about that some times, but mostly don't find that spare time to do that. I am more like lazy. or posting into boards directly if someone needs help ;-)

I would love to see a tutorial or something simpler on how to set up raid 10 over ipmi with this too

EDIT: No pressure ;)

Thanked by 3Amitz imok HyperSpeed
  • Oh yes! A short tutorial would be the bomb! :-)

• Is the IO good on this server to host some heavy sites or not worth? Maybe its only for backup?

• @fLoo said:
    Once again, thanks for this wonderful deal. Gonna do a complete switch from 4 providers to OVH now. I've been running on SyS for 4 years now, no problems, time to get my hands dirty :D

are those the servers you ordered in SBG?

• @twiigl said:
    In the German OVH forum someone raised a question if this price is only valid for the first three months or not, like the other offers.

Where would the number three come from? To me it reads rather clearly: "45,99 € / Monat" - no asterisk or any other small print.

• hmm, I'll try a very quick one:

first download debian netinst to your local pc http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

after that go to the ipmi menu in the ovh control panel and start the java applet. this may be different depending on your local browser and security settings. Chrome should at least download a file named kvm.jnlp which you can run with your local java console.

if that window is started use virtual media/virtual storage from the menu there to configure a virtual cdrom. choose image file then point it to the netinst.iso on your local drive and click on plugin.

after that you may restart the server via menu power control / power reset directly from that java window. watch it rebooting and hit F11 when it shows that option to select boot order. takes a moment to appear, choose the cd-rom from there (don't remember the full name, something like cd3000 or alike)

server will boot from netinst then and you might run through the normal setup routine.
    be aware that it may heavily depend on your home connection how fast this will work.
    I am on 5 MBit/s (up) in germany, which was very acceptable ;-)

most of the install routine is simply clicking forward until parted starts. choose setup manually. you probably wont see any raid options at first. just go and create a single big partition under each drive, after that a 'configure raid' option should appear.

go with it, it will ask for raid-level (choose 10), number of drives (choose 4) and after that a raid 10 using the full size of all four disks will be created.

if you want to setup different partitions on top of that use the configure lvm next, create one volume group on the softraid and multiple logical volumes to your need beneath it.

eventually you come to the point where the installer is asking for grub to be installed into the MBRs, choose manually and make sure to install it onto all 4 harddisks.
    (/dev/sda wasn't the first to boot from on my server after all)

now make sure you changed boot order in OVH webmanager to hdd and reboot if installation routine is finished. if everything is fine, you should see debian boot menu in the java console. unplug the virtual storage and be happy ever after ^^

for those wanting to use proxmox on top, go over there: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie to continue ;-)

sorry for not having any screenshots to attach, simply don't want to reinstall my box again, as it's already up and running ^^

feel free to ask questions if you get stuck somewhere.

• @fLoo said:
    Just incase they increase the pricing or say its "limited" in time by price, here you got a proof:

That proof ain't going to work mate

• Well, it seems I can't order from the CA website. As soon as I enter my login infos I'm redirected to the servers list :(

• @Falzo
    Happy with the IO?

• Thanks @Falzo - picked one up :)

• zeitgeist said: Where would the number three come from?

they had a special lately where you could order dedis from their older ranges and get 50% discount for the first three months.

though nothing like that has been to be read around this offer, and you can go and prepay for 12 or month if you like for this price already ;-)

This discussion has been closed.