Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mag 6 earthquake in Taiwan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mag 6 earthquake in Taiwan

rds100rds100 Member
edited March 2013 in General

Should we expect another HDD price hike?

Comments

• Trolling?

• Not really. The earthquake is real, it happened. It was not strong enough to kill people, although there are reports that some people are injured.

Now if you remember what happened after the big floods in Taiwan some time ago, there was big problem with HDD manufacturing and the HDD prices jumped a lot... that is if you could find HDDs to buy.

• NickkNickk Member

@rds100 said: Now if you remember what happened after the big floods in Taiwan some time ago

There were no floods (or major ones) at least this time, so no, no impact.

• Ahh wish it wont though

• Drives really never (pun) floated back down to where they were.

Any excuse because of infrastructure damage and speculation will cause a price bump. But then again, wondering country of origin for SSDs. They are much more competition and viable so might help to regular such, unless they are being made in mass there also.

Whole thing points to global manufacturing being long term good idea vs. high concentration in one country/region.

• Taiwan is not Thailand

• @sweshi oh, i got confused :) Thanks for pointing out, the floods (and HDD factories) were in Thailand, not Taiwan.

Just browsed the spare parts inventory, here is what came out:

Seagate 3.5" HDDs: Thailand
    Seagate 2.5" HDDs: China
    Toshiba 3.5" HDDs: Philippines
    Intel 520 SSD: China
    A-DATA SSDs: China and Taiwan

So didn't find any HDDs made in Taiwan. Just some SSD.

• Count me in as confused as latest fad country of origin.

Taiwan, hmmm wonder if they are producing the components then.. the pieces.

• Some RAM is made in Taiwan also it seems. Don't know what else.

• Last time hdd price spike because of Thailand flooded.

• ^ True. This time, we'll see what gets bumped.

Not seeing any reports yet in lame US media about the quake. How bad is it or isn't it?

• Taiwan always gets Earthquakes. Get over it. It's not serious.

• flyfly Member

thailand != taiwan

urdumb

• @fly yeah, we figured that out already a few posts ago.

• Good so no HDD Price hike :)

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

I am living near the earthquake center. It was big one but nothing serious, so it wont effect anything. Thanks God !!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What's with all the instability of the Earth lately?

Frequent outages, long delays, help desk never answers questions. Some days it's warm and sunny and beautiful, other times it's cold and wet and snowy. Very inconsistent!

LowEndPlanet. Seriously thinking of taking my business elsewhere.

• CoreyCorey Member

@pubcrawler said: Whole thing points to global manufacturing being long term good idea vs. high concentration in one country/region.

We need this bad..... It's not good to depend on a potential enemy for necessities.... I think this would lower the price of a lot of things too(for consumers not businesses). Consumers buying from a local business wouldn't have to pay the outrageous freight costs of having something shipped over from another country overseas.

• tchentchen Member

Um, its cheaper even including freight. That's why we buy from there.