Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yearly VPS - One Bandwidth Allocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yearly VPS - One Bandwidth Allocation

rzlostyrzlosty Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Hello,

Advise required from the LET community.

I recently ordered a yearly pre-payment VPS with a well known provider in these parts whom I shall not name. I had the VPS for about a week before I logged in to find it suspended. I asked support as to why and they said I had gone over my bandwidth allocation.

Now I didn't have anything on my box (other than a basically fresh OS) so I can only assume it was compromised as I had been playing around before going to bed and left it all default for a few days (SSH on 22 etc, no fail2ban etc) - anyway all my fault I know. So the support department told me I could either buy more BW or wait until the 22nd of the month (my billing day) for the BW to be reset.

Today i logged in and noticed i was still suspended so i re-opened my ticket and asked for manual unsuspension as the 22nd had passed and I could only assume it hadn't been unsuspended as i did yearly payment rather than monthly.

I was told that I was given 500GB BW to last a WHOLE year....? Is this normal? Nothing was mentioned in the advert about this and i previously had a yearly VPS with MiniVPS who would reset my BW allocation every month so i assumed this would be the way (especially considering that 500gb BW is quite a small allocation anyway).

TL:DR - ordered a yearly VPS, found out that I only got 500GB BW to last me a year.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

That's unusual, generally providers provide a monthly bandwidth allocation, even for yearly plans.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

500GB for an entire year? That's pitiful. Like 40GB per month.

Anyway, even if allocation is for year, no one dishes the amount out for entire year all at once like that. At least no one I've ever dealt with.

I don't see how you churned through that amount of bandwidth on an empty box.

I'd ask for a good faith credit and explain no clue why the usage. The 500GB is really $2 probably in value.

And, I'd request a new IP and do a fresh install.

• Whenever someone orders yearly from us it's the same as a monthly, reset every month.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Never heard that one before, you might want to check the order form to verify that with whoever it was.

• @rzlosty said: Today i logged in and noticed i was still suspended so i re-opened my ticket and asked for manual unsuspension as the 22nd had passed and I could only assume it hadn't been unsuspended as i did yearly payment rather than monthly.

Either 1. The host has no idea what they are talking about or 2. The host want to rip you off.

You should make the name of the host public, 500GB for a year? That's ridiculous,

• 500GB for the whole year sounds... funny. How was it advertised exactly?

• Put it this way I ordered it off a LEB post - so its pretty standardised advertising as they follow a format and nothing was mentioned about yearly BW allocations...

Also, if anyones interested in how i managed to use this BW in a few days heres the solus graphs i requested from the provider:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/460389/Screenshot-1 (1).png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/460389/Screenshot (1).png

• prae5prae5 Member

Those graphs don't show you using 500GB of bandwidth....

There is one single spike, which looks more like a known issue/bug with solus where it can incorrectly report bandwidth.

• @prae5 said: There is one single spike, which looks more like a known issue/bug with solus where it can incorrectly report bandwidth.

This is the reason i asked them to confirm as i had this exact problem with ChicagoVPS who looked into it and said yeah you didnt use 2TB of BW and reallocated...!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well I can only see 1 yearly offer with 500GB advertised on LEB 'recently' in the UK and it also offers quarterly and semi-annual, if that is who it is as nothing is specified regarding the term on bandwidth I would think you have just had a bad reply, keep at them :)

• Unless I'm not aware of a setting in solus, it resets the bandwidth on the first of each month.
    Is the reason most providers do pro-rata billing.

• @AnthonySmith said: Well I can only see 1 yearly offer with 500GB advertised on LEB 'recently' in the UK

I think thats someone else as its not in the UK.

I have messaged the LEB user and asked for clarification as I don't feel im getting anywhere with 2 of the support reps.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I am pretty sure it would reset at the begining of the month ;)

• @onepound said: Unless I'm not aware of a setting in solus, it resets the bandwidth on the first of each month.

Is the reason most providers do pro-rata billing.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I am pretty sure it would reset at the begining of the month ;)

In this case thats fine - but i specifically asked the support guy "So your telling me i have 500GB for a year" and they replied "Yup, and you used 509GB". Clearly confusing if its going to reset on the 1st lol.

I'm just happy I got this VPS purely for learning Linux/VPSs - as anything production would have been useless...

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

There is nothing in those graphs that indicates any way you could have used 500GB.

• @pubcrawler said: There is nothing in those graphs that indicates any way you could have used 500GB.

Thank you for the expert eye - i have to admit as a beginner these graphs mean little to me...

• Well, you have a mere single activity blip. Under 200Mbps. Didn't note the duration, but the graph is a single spike. Nothing else. @rzlosty

Point the provider at this thread.

• @pubcrawler said: Well, you have a mere single activity blip. Under 200Mbps. Didn't note the duration, but the graph is a single spike. Nothing else. @rzlosty

Point the provider at this thread.

Thank you Pubcrawler.

All sorted now - provider accepted fault on their part and have allocated BW until the end of the month.

For other peoples reference - the bandwidth does indeed reset on the first of the month as both @Alex_LiquidHost & @onepound pointed out.

Thanks to you all for your info/advice.

This thread can be closed if required :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

We want to burn a new provider! Tell us who he is! XD

• Well glad it worked out. That is the good power of this community. Glad to see it prevail and shine on this one.

• MAN THATS THE SECOND TIME TODAY I HAD MY TAR READY

• :) I have been laughing at some of your posts today @MrObvious. Thanks for lessening the mood at times.

• @pubcrawler said: :) I have been laughing at some of your posts today @MrObvious. Thanks for lessening the mood at times.

Well dammit I'm mad, over the course of today I've heated up two vats of tar and now I have no use for them. I even think someone had the feathers ready too :(

• :) tar and feathers should stay nicely.

Sky gods know we'll need them probably before this time tomorrow.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@rzlosty Tell which provider is it, so we could stay away from it. It seems like a dodgy deal.

• i laughed at the part of "500gb a year bandwidth"

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

I think it was a support rep which didnt read correctly the ticket and graphs or had no clue.
    First might happen even if it does not look well, second is not excusable.
    I dont even think of the third which would be they tested the water to see if you swallow it or not.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@Maounique said: I think it was a support rep which didnt read correctly the ticket and graphs or had no clue.

But i believe the system is automatic, it doesn't matter if the support representative is literate or not, the VPS should have been unsuspended by the rule of automatism.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

What really gets to me is that you still don't name this lousy provider.
    (or "this awesome provider that solved your problem so quickly and professionally")

• @rm_ said: What really gets to me is that you still don't name this lousy provider.

(or "this awesome provider that solved your problem so quickly and professionally")

I wonder too.