Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage Offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage Offer

nikcnikc Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hi All

Testing the water here .... would appreciate any tweaks / feedback on the below ...

1cpu
128mb RAM
250Gb Raid 10 storage (Enterprise class SATA drives)
750Gb Traffic
50mbit link
KVM

For between €7 and €10 a month in DE

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sounds good, would stacking be allowed?

• nikcnikc Member

@AnthonySmith said: Sounds good, would stacking be allowed?

Yeh I think we could do something for sure.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2013

For such a large amount of disk space, I would prefer 256mb of RAM rather than 128mb. Considering the price too.

• nikcnikc Member

Thanks @Ishaq, I have capacity to cover that also so good to know.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Ishaq said: or such a large amount of disk space, I would prefer 256mb of RAM rather than 128mb. Considering the price too.

Depends on the purpose. If it's "backup only" then that's more than enough. If it's "you can use it for anything you want" then more RAM would be desirable.

Some people would prefer an unlimited bandwidth (limited to 10mbps or whatever) plan. I look at 250G/750G and start doing rsync change rate math in my head :-)

BuyVM used to do 10mbps metered but switched to a fixed allocation.

• nikcnikc Member

I am targeting this purely at the storage / backup market to be honest, hence the original low memory.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

In that case I don't see the problem with low RAM - it will also discourage people from doing other "bad" things.

• the port speed limits stink. always have.

128MB of RAM. Probably going to have folks with issues using rsync if they have lots of files. Out of RAM issues.

3-1 bandwidth to storage ratio is fine.

KVM = good.

Price is in euros... so for US dollar top side $13 a month. Gets into territory where OVH dedicated is (I think). Not in the market myself.

250GB offer = $10 USD topside lately, on here at least.

• nikcnikc Member

Thanks @pubcrawler, I was hoping to aim just above the LEB marketplace anyways, otherwise its financially very hard to make the numbers work.

• @nikc said: I am targeting this purely at the storage / backup market to be honest, hence the original low memory.

I believe this is a wise decision to avoid some unethical usage. Currently I use storage VPS* with just 64MB RAM(100GB Disk Space) and I would say that its more than enough

*rsync over ssh

• nikcnikc Member

Thanks for the feedback @bigcat

• I'll note @nikc, the pricing I said was for actually usable VPS.

Look at what BuyVM offers --- KVM + 250GB + bunch of bandwidth + gigabit + kitchen sink at $7. It is a full use VPS, not a neutered storage only VPS.

64MB of RAM with something like this? Problematic. Going to get more tickets and issues.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

With IP pricing and general hw cost in EU being much more, $10 for the above is actually pretty reasonable

• True @Patrick. IP is what per month over there with provider gouging now? $1 per IP per month?

Other outfit to check out that is in Europa is Prometeus. Know they had storage offers in the past. Believe they were affordable too. Memory slip about if IPV6 only though....

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: True @Patrick. IP is what per month over there with provider gouging now? $1 per IP per month?

Most charge anything from 1EUR - 2.5EUR IP I have seen, so about $1.30 - 3.00

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Patrick Ouch, Data center level or provider level?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@Fliphost said: @Patrick Ouch, Data center level or provider level?

Provider level, those who colo at DCs like Dataplace / EUNetworks then rent out but also at DC level as well such as Redstation (UK) etc.

You will find odd few who will sell IPs at 0.75eur or so such as Provider Service / Snel (If you have over a certain amount)

• $1.30 - $3 per IP... Good luck... Bottom side just tolerable... $3, that's insane...

WIll hurt the euro hosting market for sure.

• @pubcrawler said: $1.30 - $3 per IP... Good luck... Bottom side just tolerable... $3, that's insane...

WIll hurt the euro hosting market for sure.

Yup, take a look at Redstation (UK) for example who are quite big in the UK with there own DCs. They charge £128/mo+VAT for 65 IPs which is about $2.9/per ip.

• nikcnikc Member

Thanks for the feedback @Patrick.

I was going to look at providing an IPV6 only option ...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Patrick Thank goodness this hasn't hit the U.S. as much yet.

Can't wait till I have to deal with that /sarcasm