Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A "LowEndProgramming"-Board
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A "LowEndProgramming"-Board

AmfyAmfy Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hello,

I like this "board". Nice people are here, but I want to get more experience in Coding/Programming in ruby, perl, bash, maybe php - is there a specific and similar page?

Comments

• jhjh Member

The forum's basically one page ;) www.stackoverflow.com is good for programming.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • hehe, I know Stackoverflow - but that's more for speciall questions and it is to big I think. This board has a perfect amount of members, not to less not to much...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I like Stackoverflow, and I also agree that LET has the perfect amount of members however with Stackoverflow people are also very helpful.

• jhjh Member

@Infinity said: I like Stackoverflow, and I also agree that LET has the perfect amount of members however with Stackoverflow people are also very helpful.

They're very knowledgeable, which in turn makes the average beginner (me) feel stupid..

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@jtodd said: They're very knowledgeable, which in turn makes the average beginner (me) feel stupid..

True, if you think you're stupid look at me :P Either way, they get me answers, they also spend time with their answers (some of 'em).

• @jtodd said: They're very knowledgeable, which in turn makes the average beginner (me) feel stupid..

You have said perfectly what I am often thinking, when I read their posts on Stackoverflow...

So nobody knows another board with a similar amount of people... and with that, what everyone's like here?

• jhjh Member

webhostingtalk.com is more beginner-friendly

• You're never going to find a place that will make you feel great... You will always feel a bit dumb when someone shows you an easier way (still happens to me after I code up a long class/function and realize I only need half of it).
    As others have said, Stackoverlfow is a great place for questions... Their not cynical or negative, and they spend their free time answering.

Although a sub forum/category on LET for programming would be good.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nothing like 127.0.0.1

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Could always ask @lowendadmin to add a programming category where people can ask for advice/etc?

Francisco

• @Amfy said: ruby, perl, bash, maybe php

that feel when these are considered to be suitable for lebs.

• @breton said: that feel when these are considered to be suitable for lebs.

I am sorry, but this statement makes no sense to me at all. I regularly use those languages in LEBs. I think that would answer what you are trying to say but honestly I am not sure.

• @AuroraZ said: I am sorry, but this statement makes no sense to me at all. I regularly use those languages in LEBs. I think that would answer what you are trying to say but honestly I am not sure.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all

• Still lost, oh well not the first time. Thank you for trying to clear it up for me though. :)

• Sorry to say: pretty useless! Where are the stats about the resources involved, the time needed to write the same piece of code, the interface bottlenecks, etc.

A "good" piece of code is nothing without its environment.

• Just because they're "slow" doesn't make them a bad solution. They're also the ones that are usually easier and faster to code in. Not to mention - have you ever seen someone code a website in pure C/C++ (CGI)? No? Right...

Thanked by 1japon
  • @DimeCadmium said: Just because they're "slow" doesn't make them a bad solution. They're also the ones that are usually easier and faster to code in. Not to mention - have you ever seen someone code a website in pure C/C++ (CGI)? No? Right...

Indeed. And what do I care if my bash-script takes 2 seconds more to work. I'm the only user in my VPS. So what?

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited December 2011

Can I join that forum? Blake and I built a PHP/MySQL forum system with a built-in installer, DNSBL checking, IP logging, threads & comments.

..and we did it in only 1kB of code.

In addition, I have built 1kB CSS grids, a 1kB MVC, and 1kB libraries. I also built a pure Javascript tumblr clone in only 10kB of code. See the links below.

• @Xeoncross said: Blake and I built a PHP/MySQL forum system with a built-in installer, DNSBL checking, IP logging, threads & comments.

..and we did it in only 1kB of code.

Obfuscated code contest, anyone?

• hm, I think such a code contest would be very very interesting! :)

• The Domain "lowendcode.com" is available for registration :D Unfortunately, my coding skills (mainly vb.net) are too low to start such a board...

• hehe, I already thought to start such a board, but I dont want that there will be a next ghost board with 2-3 users...

• I don't think that this would be a ghost board. Just remember the demo scene where people try to build complete PC games in 64KB. (like .kkrieger etc). A bit of marketing and social networking may make it :P

• I am a Nerd... so social things... ehm... :P

okay maybe I will register that domain later, first finish this school day

• Seems to me that it would be more courteous to ask @LowEndAdmin first. Sure, he doesn't own the phrase "Low End", but anything with that title will end up associated with him and these sites.

• Off to register LowEndFarmEquipment.com and LowEndDoItYourselfHeartBypass.com :)

• Don't forget LowEndComedy.com

• my name in extremesystems forum is LowEnd_026, :P i just realize that when the owner email me about christmas/new year thing.